Clubplanet Nightlife Community

How was Jay Tripwire?

mrjoebudious

I was in Tampa and did not get in 'til 12:30 and stayed at LOLA all night. I wanted to stop in but was sooo tired from driving(so boring with no cd's and by myself). I hope it went well.

So check it. In tampa, mins & FS, Q burn's abstract message and Randal Jones were all throwing down at different venues. Tampa kickin' it a bit again.

PS don't forget Maked Music 10/26

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

T-Bone and Jay both dropped wicked sets. Some of the best bottom heavy music I've ever heard. These guys really are pushing music in a new direction. Both of them played flawless sets.....at about 3am they started to go 3 & 3. Jay definately impressed the most, playing some sick tech-house and finally ending the night with his new track which is do out on Worship Records later this year......The track was not like his usual bass bump'n productions.....definately was dub influnced and simply put will be one of the hottest records of the year on the house scene when it's released later this year.

As for the crowd.......I'm a little disappointed in the turn out. It wasn't low, but it wasn't huge either. And I have something to say which will piss off a lot of people who read this.......whatever...........

95% of you people on this board talk the talk......but you don't WALK the WALK!!

I think you know what I mean by this. All week I had tons of PM's and emails sent to me about......." what a great party this is going to be, finally someone is booking good talent, can't wait to go, please put me on the list....." We had over 75 on the guestlist and over 400!!! on the reduced.

So my question is.....Where were all you guy's??? Now I know that Timo Maas was here and Superchumbo as well.......lets think for a minute......how many times a year are both those guys here in miami.........Seems to me just about every other month.....What records do both Tom and Timo play consistantly throughout there sets.......a certian Jay Tripwire records..........Now how many times have T-Bone and Jay been to Miami..........Just once......and believe me you probably won't see them again for a long time!!!!

So once again do to lack of support, the music scene in Miami will get a black eye. There's nothing like picturing both T-Bone and Jay returning home and telling people..."miami is a joke!"

I see polls on this board all the time...."What DJ would you like to see in miami?", "Why does the scene in Miami suck?", "where is there a good underground scene here?" everyone complains and bitches about lack of music, lack of good dj's being brought down, lack of a scene......but the biggest problem is..........LACK OF SUPPORT!!!! If everyone has the same mentality...."Oh, I don't need to go because there will be plenty of people there......." Then who really shows up.....Hardly anyone.

There is a huge problem here in miami......you have your large established clubs like Space, Level and Crobar............then what........your trendy places like Opium, Bed and Spin.......then what....where is the undergound scene??? Other than Lola, and Red on Fridays....where would you tell people to go if they asked you where they could hear some good music, that's not commercial and not in a big club????......Most of you wouldn't know how to answer that question cause you wouldn't know good music if it bit ya in the ass!!! Now I'm not Diss'n on everyone on this board....there are some of you out there that do come out and support and that do know good music when it's here.....but the rest of you........don't waste my time and you time in the future.....stop complainning.....and stop pretending to be something you're not......a music lover!

i am huge fan of Tripwire and Tom Stephans...and i didnt make it out to either cuz of the kind of night that i had on Friday/Saturday morning at Red and Living Room (ironic enough)...sorry i didnt come out, i just couldnt...i stayed in and recovered mostly...i really wanted to see some tripwire and eventually end up at space....but the tequila and johnny walker blue did me in (see Red review)...:(

Originally posted by demo909

T-Bone and Jay both dropped wicked sets. Some of the best bottom heavy music I've ever heard. These guys really are pushing music in a new direction. Both of them played flawless sets.....at about 3am they started to go 3 & 3. Jay definately impressed the most, playing some sick tech-house and finally ending the night with his new track which is do out on Worship Records later this year......The track was not like his usual bass bump'n productions.....definately was dub influnced and simply put will be one of the hottest records of the year on the house scene when it's released later this year.

As for the crowd.......I'm a little disappointed in the turn out. It wasn't low, but it wasn't huge either. And I have something to say which will piss off a lot of people who read this.......whatever...........

95% of you people on this board talk the talk......but you don't WALK the WALK!!

I think you know what I mean by this. All week I had tons of PM's and emails sent to me about......." what a great party this is going to be, finally someone is booking good talent, can't wait to go, please put me on the list....." We had over 75 on the guestlist and over 400!!! on the reduced.

So my question is.....Where were all you guy's??? Now I know that Timo Maas was here and Superchumbo as well.......lets think for a minute......how many times a year are both those guys here in miami.........Seems to me just about every other month.....What records do both Tom and Timo play consistantly throughout there sets.......a certian Jay Tripwire records..........Now how many times have T-Bone and Jay been to Miami..........Just once......and believe me you probably won't see them again for a long time!!!!

So once again do to lack of support, the music scene in Miami will get a black eye. There's nothing like picturing both T-Bone and Jay returning home and telling people..."miami is a joke!"

I see polls on this board all the time...."What DJ would you like to see in miami?", "Why does the scene in Miami suck?", "where is there a good underground scene here?" everyone complains and bitches about lack of music, lack of good dj's being brought down, lack of a scene......but the biggest problem is..........LACK OF SUPPORT!!!! If everyone has the same mentality...."Oh, I don't need to go because there will be plenty of people there......." Then who really shows up.....Hardly anyone.

There is a huge problem here in miami......you have your large established clubs like Space, Level and Crobar............then what........your trendy places like Opium, Bed and Spin.......then what....where is the undergound scene??? Other than Lola, and Red on Fridays....where would you tell people to go if they asked you where they could hear some good music, that's not commercial and not in a big club????......Most of you wouldn't know how to answer that question cause you wouldn't know good music if it bit ya in the ass!!! Now I'm not Diss'n on everyone on this board....there are some of you out there that do come out and support and that do know good music when it's here.....but the rest of you........don't waste my time and you time in the future.....stop complainning.....and stop pretending to be something you're not......a music lover!

well you have a point however. there are other factors you must take in to consideration; you had several events taking place on Saturday night Superchumbo and Timo Mass. I keep hearing people throw this term "underground" around; in addition to being misused it is a rather ambiguous term. music is produced for the masses; so expose it to the masses. no offensive, but what did you do to promote the event; other then post it on cp ?yes I realize you may not have the advertising budget of a space, crobar, etc. but I will say again as I have said before, the scene in new york for instance survives why. because the promoters bring the music to the people. you have street promoters out working the street, and bringing it to the people. it’s a holiday the beach is packed; in my view that means you have over 10,000 potential customers. why not have your talent throw down a little 20 minute set on the beach someplace; it’s cheap, and all you need is a permit from the city which cost less then $50.00. it’s the prefect opportunity to expose your talent to a built in audience, and get people interested. you have Spec’s Music here on the beach which is always willing to host talent, and would probably help with the $$$ for promotion.

cp represents less then 1% of the people who actually go to clubs; it’s really up to you to determine how you reach other folks.. it means you will have to be creative, and educate and expose the masses. hard work indeed, but the end result will be success. as far your comments in particular about people not knowing talent, etc. in all honesty I think those comments, are based in antagonism rather then fact.

finally not that this is really relevant, but I was sick as a dog Saturday. so I did not go anyplace, and if I’m not mistaken I sent you an e-mail to that effect.

Originally posted by sobeton

but what did you do to promote the event; other then post it on cp ?yes I realize you may not have the advertising budget of a space, crobar, etc. but I will say again as I have said before, the scene in new york for instance survives why. because the promoters bring the music to the people. you have street promoters out working the street, and bringing it to the people. it’s a holiday the beach is packed; in my view that means you have over 10,000 potential customers. .

We had two runs of flyers made (10,000) We had people out everynight of the week in front of all the clubs passing them out, we had people on the beach during the day saturday passing out flyers, we had a 1/4 page add in newtimes and we had 50 posters made up and hung in miami the groove and ft. lauderdale................trust me, we did our part. We brought the music to the people.....but the people couldn't care less....

I agree with Craig on this one. Even though I'm from New York.. :o

Lots of people are all talk though when it comes to coming out & showing support for DJ's, but It's definitely not just a Miami thing, it's a people thing..

People's plans change & you can't do anything about that..

But that does suck that so many people signed the guestlit & no one showed up..

Poor T-Bone:(

Better luck next time B.. Better stick with the Aboveground crew @ Space for now:)

Maybe Miami just isn't ready for T & Trip..

We had two runs of flyers made (10,000) We had people out everynight of the week in front of all the clubs passing them out, we had people on the beach during the day saturday passing out flyers, we had a 1/4 page add in newtimes and we had 50 posters made up and hung in miami the groove and ft. lauderdale................trust me, we did our part. We brought the music to the people.....but the people couldn't care less....

well if that’s the case .it means one of two things you have to work harder; our the simple fact may be people where not interested in who you where bringing.

AMEN!!!

I agree with your entire post Craig.... it's discouraging to see people like you (and Stryke, DHM, Edgar V., Armando, etc.) working so hard to give people an alternative and to push the envelope of underground dance music ...only to end up in dissapointment due to lack of support.

People are constantly bitching about how Miami is wack...and people here don't know shit....and in London they do this and in New York they do that.....but where the hell are all these people when its time to represent?

One thing is to sit behind a computer and download sets from "James Zabiela (or whoever is the flavor of this month)live @ some shit club in some little town in Northern England" and read your latest issue of Mixmag so they can dictate to you what is cool...and think you are part of some elite group of underground dance music geniuses.....

Another thing is to actually go out and be a part of creating an underground scene....and making a difference....only our support can dictate to club owners what it is we truly want....

Graig went out on a limb convincing club owners to book the Fabric guys..(that alot of you guys are always raving about)..he even hinted to the fact that if it went well there would be a possibility of a monthly residence....but once again....Miami shows its true colors....

:(

Although I have to admit....Miami has grown up tremendously over the years...with the addition of mega-clubs like Space and Crobar bringing top notch talent on a regular basis...our scene is amongst the best in the world.....but we still have alot of growing up to do....

SUPPORT THE UNDERGROUND!!!!

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL RESIDENTS!!!

it is the root of our scene, and dictates where we will be in the near future...

PUT UP OR SHUT UP!

peace,

O.G.:)

Originally posted by kurtisp

Better luck next time B.. Better stick with the Aboveground crew @ Space for now:)

Maybe Miami just isn't ready for T & Trip..

or just maybe as a dj you’re going to have to work harder; if you want an audience in miami. “the aboveground crew†may be a bit more inquisitive then you could imagine.

it happens everywhere craig.

I booked Tyler with another promoter a couple of months ago here in NYC and the turn out was weak. Only about 100 heads showed up.

Besides the few heads on here, who has ever heard of Tyler & Jay?

It's tough man... I feel for ya.

To be quite honest, as a one off promoter, I can't keep taking hits like that anymore. Especially the way things have been with the scene lately.

I totally agree with Craig. It is very sad to see how some people are trying to bring new talents and new sound to the Miami scene but people just won't back it up. Everyone in this board should make an extra effort to go out and support these people that are trying to make a change by bringing a new underground sound in more intimate locations.

Originally posted by djoscarg

SUPPORT THE UNDERGROUND!!!!

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL RESIDENTS!!!

it is the root of our scene, and dictates where we will be in the near future...

PUT UP OR SHUT UP!

peace,

O.G.:)

just support the F*cking scene. the hell with the underground.. music for the masses.. ;)

1st, a big thank you to craig and/or anyone else involved who had the ..... to take a chance and bring tyler & jay to miami.

TECH at it's best (even if the crowd was "small") dope bad a** beats frm start to finish. those who went know what i'm say'ng; those who didn't...u missed out!

2nd, thx you to space for tak'ng care of tyler, jay, & i. the boys decided to change their flight plans and we head'd out to afterhours. gave em' fair warn'ng b/4 we went but guess they need'd to "experience it" for themselves. the look on tyler's face when we walk'd in was PRICELESS! the music, well lets say it was "interest'ng". haven't laugh'd so much in g-d knows how long. 2 more quality dj's and people. those guys are sweethearts :)

craig> thank you frm one joisey person to another ;) couldn't agree w/ you more...

Originally posted by sobeton

or just maybe as a dj you’re going to have to work harder; if you want an audience in miami. “the aboveground crew†may be a bit more inquisitive then you could imagine.

:o

Originally posted by kurtisp

Better stick with the Aboveground crew @ Space for now:)

this is ridicuous....pompass elitist BS...

and I resent it....

Space is anything but "aboveground"

It's a fawking warehouse in the middle of crack-town where nobody was ever interested in going to until Space opened up it's doors.....We have busted our ass at Space to make it what it is....the first month I took over Saturdays at Space we had 30 people at best in the whole club...it was at the height of the Trance phenomenon here in Miami and Louis took a chance on hiring me to play house on Saturdays.....it was a bitch for a while.......but with a hard working staff and a dedicated owner we were able to hang in there and turn it around....now we bring top notch "underground" talent on an almost weekly basis (and I like to think the residents aren't that bad either;) )

They did promote the hell out of it, they really had the 10,000 flyers made up, the posters, promotion on .cooljunkie., the whole bit.

People knew about this event, but chose not to go for whatever reason. I'd say the promotion is pretty good, it's just that you can only do so much to a relatively clueless crowd. Face it, outside of the "CP Crew", not very many people on the dancefloor really have a clue. They go to crobar because it's crobar, or their friend is a promoter/employee there, they go to Space because of the 24-hour license, they go to Opium because they think it's cool and don't see it for the waste of space that it is, they go to The Living Room Downtown on Saturday mornings because it's the 'elite' afterhours, they go to Nikki Beach because it's a 'be seen' place....most people outside our group simply do not know, and I don't see it changing one bit. I have some friends of mine who I try to invite out a lot, but when they do come out, the first thing they notice is if the place is crowded or not. For some reason they associate crowded with cool.

Grant it though, Saturday was very competitive. Timo at crobar, John Kelly at Level, FX at Level, Tom Stephan at Space, and some hip-hop BS at Opium more than likely, it was a hard Saturday. I was spread pretty thin, started at Jay Tripwire/Tyler Stadius, went to crobar to check out Timo, took a quick break to see FX at Level, and back on over to crobar to catch the rest of Timo and stay near my ride home...

Get over it Osc it was a joke..;)

and I resent it....

It's a fawking warehouse in the middle of crack-town where nobody was ever interested in going to until Space opened up it's doors.....We have busted our ass at Space to make it what it is....the first month I took over Saturdays at Space we had 30 people at best in the whole club...it was at the height of the Trance phenomenon here in Miami and Louis took a chance on hiring me to play house on Saturdays.....it was a bitch for a while.......but with a hard working staff and a dedicated owner we were able to hang in there and turn it around....now we bring top notch "underground" talent on an almost weekly basis (and I like to think the residents aren't that bad either;) )

True enough. Space took a bit of time to really get some steam. They opened in March 2000 to a decent-sized crowd, but it faded away kinda quick...really didn't pick up until the big guns like PvD, Danny T, and so forth came in that September. Hiring you was a good move too, a lot of people initially recognized you as 'that guy Danny T. talks about a lot', so they figured on showing up. You did a good job in establishing a recognized weekly at Space for sure... I'd say Space has a crowd with a bit more knowledge than on the beach...there's still a sizable contingent of people who just don't get it, but a good percentage of the crowd can at least tell you who is on the decks at any given moment :).

and I resent it....

I agree with you Oscar 100% Your Saturday night's at Space have pushed the boundries here in Miami and have been a major contributor to the scene here in Miami.......But as you and I both know....everyone here is a critic.....

Keep up the good work bro!!:D

and I know that Kurtis didn't mean anything by what he said:)

Interesting thread.......

You can take it both ways, however - I agree with Tony..and I sympathize with Demo...

We have been doing diverse nights on Sobe for 3 years - not always with international talent, but always slightly away from the norm. You gotta understand as a promoter if 500 are on the list - expect 50 - even more so when you are offering something as diverse as Tripwire.

I think you were also unfortunate with your timing. timo maas, John Kelly - Tall Paul the night b4 - Big football game.....

Miami is a tourist town, and the stark reality is the majority of tourists (and even locals in some cases) have heard of Crobar, Level & Space - because of international acclaim. as far as the DJ's go Timo Maas, John Kelly, Tall Paul - again international commercial acclaim...

That said I am not disprespecting djs Like Tripwire, but when you take into consideration the masses - not the muso's - you will probably find you get blank stares when you mention "underground" dj's names.

CP is a small community of musicaly minded people.... the majority of Miami isn't.

Miami is a tiny area surrounded by swamp - London, LA, Chicago and NYC aren't.

I have said a million times put DJ XYZ here and it would bomb - put him in NYC and you have the roof off.

Respect to you for trying something different - there aren't many of us who do. But don't get bitter at the results... Gotta face the Reality of what Miami is, and make the most of it...........