Clubplanet Nightlife Community

!!info!!please About Djing

Well... coming from someone who just got into this a little over two months ago - just go buy some records and work with them. If you have some friends who DJ, ask them to teach you the basics. I picked up the main ideas of what I needed to do and how the equipment works by watching friends of mine and having them show me how to do things. It's a lot harder than it looks though, and it can be frustrating at times, especially when anyone who's been DJ'ing for a while seems to do it without even trying. But I find that spending some quality time with your records is the best way to learn.

If you really want help, there are websites, videos and whatnot out there - you can ask at a record store to see what they have.. or you could go to a studio and get lessons. I don't know of any in NY, but in DC, metatrack studios does great work - you can check them out and maybe ask for a recommendation of someplace in NY that they know of - www.metatrackstudios.com :) hope that helps.

best advice i can give ya....hmm its all about getting the speeds right, in which i mean pitch speeds if u cant get them down then forget about it it takes time i been spinnin for 2 yrs and i still fuck up.... just have fun with it...and do yourself a favor dont learn on cds get vinyl down pat then mess around with cds

Good monitors and the ability to play loud in your apartment are a must. The first year I started learning how to play, I was terrible because I couldn't turn my speakers up loud enough because of neighbors. It's very hard to start off learning how to mix in headphones.

For monitors, if you can afford it, buy the Mackie HR824s. These have a flat response, so you get extremely accurate sound. Also, you can use these for production, if you ever get into that. Great investment.

Buy some decent needles, too. These will preserve your records. Just remember to replace the styli every three months or so, depending on how much you play. Ortofon needles are a good choice.

Proper headphones are a must. The Sony DJ headphones that everyone uses are a good choice. There's a new Sony model that's excellent. If you have the dough, spring for sone Sennheiser headphones.

Most importantly of all, just have a lot of patience. It takes a while to train your brain to listen to two sounds at once and process them separately.

Peace,

David Christopher

www.headrushmusic.com

Originally posted by headrushmusic

Proper headphones are a must. The Sony DJ headphones that everyone uses are a good choice. There's a new Sony model that's excellent. If you have the dough, spring for sone Sennheiser headphones.

WORD! I just bought the Sennheisers the other day and I loooooove them! :D

for first timers:

1) once again---->learn on your own (be orginal)

2) go out to as many events as possible to observe the crowd and dj; knowing people who spin out regularly is a plus.

3) get together with friends for help if needed. (but be orginal)

4) dont be so quick to shell out alot of cash for high-end gear unless you have the fundage to waste or you're serious about it. (sony mdr-v700s are a good investment tho)

5) satellite records, breakbeat science and vinyl market are a few decent places to shop around for tunes.

6) practice and keep practicing. unless you have perfect hearing and pitch don't expect to spin flawless sets within a matter of a few months.

if you're desparate i believe dj academy sessions are still offered at pseudo for $45-50/hr. (two blocks from satellite records) http://www.pseudo.com

good luck