Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Ohio

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, been to Buddha once and hated it. Meat market. Friends of mine tried getting a good house night there on Thursdays (Nectar), invited top house djs (like DJ Who) to spin, and owners balked because hip-hop and cheese trance are where the money is. Chris Lawrence show there got cancelled last spring. WHAT?!?! They were nuts. Chris Lawrence is the shiznit of progressive/trance. Not sure what happened. No explanation was given. Too bad, because Buddha does have a great sound system.

I hate meat markets and drunks. (Well, that pretty much eliminates all of W 6th and W 9th now, doesn't it?) :laugh:

Been to Moda for the opening. Haven't been back yet. May hear Kramer tonight.

Touch, Abasso have good vibe and sound.

Did you or anyone go to Moda on Saturday?

I'm so frustrated.

That was such an incredibly whack experience. All I wanted was to go and dance, hear good West Coast (Kramer is from San Francisco) tribal house with a good sound system, and wake up inspired on Sunday to work on some of my own dance music that I've been producing with my boyfriend.

I am 100% totally wanting to support that place, but I doubt I'll ever go back, except to hear my Miami friend David Padilla spin there in January.

I want to support it. I really do. But it is complete bullshit.

First, we waited in line for over an hour. A wait that was completely and totally unnecessary. And the line was all guys on their cell phones, "Yeah, dude...Ya gotta come meet us at this place that just opened up on W 25th. We heard there are hotties lookin' to get laid here." Swarms and swarms of men in plaid shirts or what they perceived to eurotrendy clothing, all on their phones ready to relay their next big score to their buddies planted on a bar stool at the local sports bar.

When we got in, the first thing we noticed was that the sound was completely distorted. The subs and bass were rumbling so loudly that there was a delay in all the other voices. The acoustics were horrible. It wasn't that bad when Deep Dish played, so I don't know if they added more speakers or whether it was Kramer who had the levels set as such. I doubt it, because there were a few times I could hear him bail out of a trainwreck because of the acoustic echoes bouncing around.

The next thing I noticed was that the floor was so sticky I could barely walk. I had worn comfortable dancing shoes, ready to dance for four hours, and I could barely lift my feet in spots because the layers and layers of spilled booze had formed a sort of glue.

In the bathroom, I had to endure getting puked on by some girl who drank too much and didn't quite make it to the toilet and half of it ended up on my shoe. Another girl was so wasted she fell and broke glass all over the place. Likewise on the drive home -- some girl opened the car door while it was en route to the shoreway and puked all over the road. Disgusting. No class. There were signs in the bathrooms warning folks not to bring drugs into the clubs. I find it hard to believe anyone would act on drugs half as whack as some of what I saw with folks so drunk. Not to mention all the folks who got behind the wheel that I DIDN'T see puking.

The last thing that got on my f'ing nerve was the whole presence of people doing nothing but scamming on each other. It was absolutely disgusting. I've seen less gawking at a strip club. Whores and pimps everywhere. Moda says it's "all about the music." Well, maybe management is, but its patrons have a long way to go. Kramer dropped some very solid progressive house tracks. Tracks that are well-known, tracks that if they were being dropped at Arc, Roxy, Space would have the crowd giving the dj mad hands in the air, yet people were too busy feeling everyone's asses to give the dj any props.

Moda has said it needs to "educate," and it's a good thing it realizes that it needs to. I'm all about the music, but unfortunately, I don't think I should have to pay $200 for VIP service just to get away from the whack people who consistently spilled things or puked on me.

I'm sorry if I sound like a raving snob, but it really was miserable in there. I'm not sure what the solution is. It's not all Moda's fault. Maybe it's Cleveland's for not having enough places for people to go, and when a decent one opens, they all descend at once. Either way, I think that those of us who produce music and dj will continue to keep our focus on the music and hope that someday Cleveland will be a place we can showcase talent where it will be appreciated by a wider audience.

I don't hate Buddha... well, no, let me re-phrase that. I DIDN'T hate Buddha. But of course, as always, good things don't last. It is mos def a meat market now. The sound's great, but still a meat market. Nectar was good. You said those were friends of yours? Right on... And yeah, I remember The Chris thing. Are you gonna go see him at Moda, though? I abs LOVE him. So I wouldn't miss it for the world. I too hate meat markets and drunks. Esp drunk Cleveland hoes & pimp wannabes. I was at Moda Saturday. Kramer is the shit, but I'm sorry, what the hell was up with the sound?! I saw him in SF when I was living down there, and let me tell you, that sound distortion is def not part of the act. Sadly enough though, Moda's the best Cleveland's got right now. And the only way you're gonna avoid the whole waiting bullshit is by becoming VIP. And I don't mean paying for it, either. My buds & I got lucky. We went to the opening and got in really well with Mike, so... Not all the guys are prepsters though. I've met some really cool ppl, who are ALL ABOUT THE MUSIC (even though Moda's not). I didn't really notice the dancefloor as being sticky, but then again, I was happily dancing in my own little world. HANDS UP! Yeah, me! Haha, MAD props to the DJ! And as for the moronic drunks in the bathroom, well, when I was at fucking Folsom they were there. So they're unavoidable. If you get security next time though, they'll take care of it. I like the effort they're putting into keeping ppl "straight" but I do agree with you that half the time, NO one acts as retarded on drugs as they do when they've been drinking. That's Cleveland for you in a nutshell though. Moda's a a step at weeding out all the trash, but that area's been such a ghetto for so long, that it's hard to change it. I'm SO glad someone's trying! I just hope it happens this time! More later...

hiya everyone.

im from columbus and i heard about cp from some friends in dc and miami. I decided to check it out since most of the message boards around my city are all about promoter wars and mud slinging. anyway, i just wanted to say whats up to everyone and hope that more people from ohio will represent.

hit me up on an email sometime gunther.11@osu.edu

or aol im digitalgunther

so if you guys havent heard already, but steve lawler will be at redzone in columbus on nov 22nd. i saw him at the balance promote party during last years wmc, and it was by far one of the best sets i have ever heard live. everyone should come down..

talk to you all later

take care

gunther

Originally posted by digitalgunther

hiya everyone.

im from columbus and i heard about cp from some friends in dc and miami. I decided to check it out since most of the message boards around my city are all about promoter wars and mud slinging. anyway, i just wanted to say whats up to everyone and hope that more people from ohio will represent.

hit me up on an email sometime gunther.11@osu.edu

or aol im digitalgunther

so if you guys havent heard already, but steve lawler will be at redzone in columbus on nov 22nd. i saw him at the balance promote party during last years wmc, and it was by far one of the best sets i have ever heard live. everyone should come down..

talk to you all later

take care

gunther

What up? :D

Mudslinging? (You wouldn't happen to be talking about the pb-cle list would you?)

No, I didn't know Lawler was going to be there! I subscribe to the RedZone mail list, but didn't get that notice. :rolleyes:

THANK YOU for posting! I'm trying to persuade DaVe to let us start a Cleveland-Columbus-Pittsburgh board, but so far no response. So, if there are peeps out there from the area, shout out! Let's do this. There are a lot of cool events that happen around here, it's just that we're all so damn spread out and it's tough to hear about most of them. We need a virtual meeting place to bridge the gap.

Originally posted by 3trinity

THANK YOU for posting! I'm trying to persuade DaVe to let us start a Cleveland-Columbus-Pittsburgh board, but so far no response. So, if there are peeps out there from the area, shout out! Let's do this. There are a lot of cool events that happen around here, it's just that we're all so damn spread out and it's tough to hear about most of them. We need a virtual meeting place to bridge the gap.

Right on!

I think I may have to put in a Cameo appearance at my ole stomping ground this weekend. Lawler on Friday, and Max Graham on Saturday. Never thought Ohio would get back-2-back events like this. Havinit! :party:

Gunther - be forwarned we may have a repeat of Winter Music Conference on our hands. Dude call me! :phone:

Originally posted by joeygk

VIC - you crackhead why don't you try doing some work!

BTW- if you didn't figure it out digitalgunther is Steve from WMC.

***Also- Stacey wants to know if your doing the Layo & Bushwacka! boat party?????

:tongue: , so ur going to Ohio to see the Buckeyes get demolished by Michigan again huh? :laugh:

I thought it was him, hey Steve whats up?

Nope, cant do the Layo and Bushwacka thingy this weekend, got a couple of thingies going on in DC this weekend (nothing that would prevent me from going to L & B though, but also promissed a friend to move on Saturday) but I'll definitly be going up to NY for Thanksgiving 4 Circo Loco & Digweed & hopefully DH & DT.

Cant believe someone could do 16hrs consecutive hrs driving in car :eek: she had a pit stop in DC last night. Should already be in Jrz.

Originally posted by joeygk

I think I may have to put in a Cameo appearance at my ole stomping ground this weekend.

uh oh...there goes the neighborhood...i went to Columbus last year to visit family...talk about a quiet town....much diff. than Miami (obviously)....didnt know u were from Ohio Joey...."PEOPLE OF COLUMBUS, BE FORWARNED....UR PROPERTY VALUE WILL DROP ONCE JOEY STRIDES INTO TOWN...HIDE THE WOMAN AND CHILDREN!!!":tongue:

Originally posted by mrmatas2277

uh oh...there goes the neighborhood...i went to Columbus last year to visit family...talk about a quiet town....much diff. than Miami (obviously)....didnt know u were from Ohio Joey...."PEOPLE OF COLUMBUS, BE FORWARNED....UR PROPERTY VALUE WILL DROP ONCE JOEY STRIDES INTO TOWN...HIDE THE WOMAN AND CHILDREN!!!":tongue:

i guess that explains why everything is so cheap in Ohio :D

hiya vic, how ya been? i saw that you are already planning for wmc 2003. have you talked to michael lately, i tried calling his cell about a bit ago and its not working. hope your doing well-talk to you soon....

and whats your excuse for not coming to ohio to see lawler this weekend? :D

take care,

gunther