Clubplanet Nightlife Community

pvd @ arc

joeg

i for one really liked the hard stuff and the house.... and even the few old skool trax he dropped.

i'm a relative newb when it comes to pvd - i remember reading posts when this was still "clubnyc" about people all psyched up for this paul van dyk guy and i had no idea what they were talking about... i just went to the tunnel instead. saw him do a 1hr set in miami 2 years ago, up against carl cox in the twilo tent and after bad boy bill and dj dan, and i thought he was weak. too floaty, not enough power after 12 hours of dancing and a little dull.

saw him again at twilo a month later and GOD was he ever amazing. It was at that show that i realized what the hype was about. the secret was that after the first hour he kept on mixing it up - and he got very very dark. liberator-style acid techno dark. and it was a "journey" - a hell of a lot more then if he had stuck to "for an angel" all night.

so i hope his style continues to evolve, even if it means getting harder on the whole or more housey. just remember the legions of djs who used to be pioneers, but then they didn't change with the times and now nobody cares.

peaz,

rob

ps barvybe: yeah it was cool boppin around for that last track :)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by minneec

damn some people are hard to please, but i just wanted to say that pvd did try to put in some diversity to the set, but no one took to it...i think the slow progressive stuff that was mentioned earlier, the funky housey stuff is definitely more his thing these days, but we're still stuck on good old fashioned trance

That's my point, he used to be A LOT more diverse in his sets. No doubt, I still consider him to be better than most trance DJs out there. In the end, the point is...he's shifted alot more into HARD trance, which I find to be kind of annoying. His old sets were alot more enjoyable. As for funky house, prog...it'd be great if he really played more of it, but his set from 45 minutes in until the end barely had any traces of that. Maybe a good 10 minutes of electro and breaks...that's about it.

ALSO, from what I hear, he doesn't play the same kind of sets in Europe as he does in the US. As in, he plays sets that're more diverse and often more techno oriented in Europe. This just means I'm going to have to go see him there...:mad3:

Oh well, just gonna have to try Flemming when he comes around.

Originally posted by xpander

That's my point, he used to be A LOT more diverse in his sets. No doubt, I still consider him to be better than most trance DJs out there. In the end, the point is...he's shifted alot more into HARD trance, which I find to be kind of annoying. His old sets were alot more enjoyable. As for funky house, prog...it'd be great if he really played more of it, but his set from 45 minutes in until the end barely had any traces of that. Maybe a good 10 minutes of electro and breaks...that's about it.

ALSO, from what I hear, he doesn't play the same kind of sets in Europe as he does in the US. As in, he plays sets that're more diverse and often more techno oriented in Europe. This just means I'm going to have to go see him there...:mad3:

Oh well, just gonna have to try Flemming when he comes around.

yeah i def heard he spins differently for europe...point is he was trying to give us a taste of it, but he saw the crowd's reaction and it wasn't positive. after all he goal is to make us dance...which he did

Originally posted by minneec

yeah i def heard he spins differently for europe...point is he was trying to give us a taste of it, but he saw the crowd's reaction and it wasn't positive. after all he goal is to make us dance...which he did

Yeah, it was a fun time, no doubt. Lots of good spirits there...too bad it wasn't a weekend though, the party couldhave been MONSTROUS.