Clubplanet Nightlife Community

The offcial Star Bar grand opening saleen review..

Guest saleen351

Guest saleen351

This will be a short one:

Star Bar is the new outside patio for the old Chilly Pepper. They own both the inside and outside part, but only the outside patio is done and open. We hit there at like midnight after going to see the worlds best bartender Amy at sutra. Got right in, they tried a little South Beach-ish at the door, but no problems. I was really not thinking it was gonna be good. As most of you know, my boys Roland and Biz are the only patio boys for me, but I was shocked. The place is awesome. Has so much potential. The set up is nice and done really well. Considering it was their first night, and much of it probably will be changed and tweaked, it was a great experience. I can be picky and pick out many things that need to be done, but overall for the first night, they got their shit in gear.

Set up is nice, really nice. Dance floor is big and spacious. Sound system is really good, but needs a sound engineer to tune it. The highs hit way to hard. Such a great chill place, yet you can get wild on the dance floor. Has a stage and vip sections. Bottles of Goose I think are 200 bucks, but don’t quote me on that. That is what I was told by the waitress. The balcony is a really nice touch. Loved the view of the lovely ladies. They have picnic tables in various areas and people seemed to enjoy chilling with friends and bopping their heads to music while sitting on them. I’m sure they are temporary for some more stylish seating, but it worked well, for now. Nice tress and ferns all over they even have a hot tub outside. Door which is probably temporary is too informal. It’s really not an entrance, more like a hole in the fence. Its kind of dirty out there. Plus the thugs at Stereo aren’t gonna help. Door staff could use some personality.

By far the best looking female staff in Lauderdale. Worth the cover just to see these girls. Who ever had the job of highering and finding these girls, is a lucky man. Got to meet the lovely Patricia, the shot girl. The shots were too pricey for my taste, 6 bucks is a little high. But I tipped her even though I didn’t buy any. There was soooooooooooo many hot girls there. I was on hot chick overload last night. Between sutra and star bar it was insane night with women.

Now for their biggest problem:

The music:

I looked up in the booth and I saw this dude I met a few weeks ago in Voodoo. Never heard him spin till last night. His name was David Canzio. At first he was doing awesome. I was impressed with the tracks. Mixing was great, and the atmosphere was great. Granted not many were dancing, but hey its Lauderdale and Rome wasn’t built in a day. But it was a south beach vibe going on. They should of stuck with it. Then they bring on another guy who fucked it all up! Went to hip hop. More people danced, but the place went from a south beach vibe right into cheesy Lauderdale in 10 minutes flat. They mixed it up again with some classics like MJ tracks and a few others, played some cheese that was really bad, I can’t remember, but I think it was that, I like to move it move it track, or some shit like that. I remember walking to the back bar and all my friends who just saw me talking to David, were all yelling at me to tell them to play some more house music. I’m flattered that these people think I have some sort of pull, but who am I? I don’t have any pull, nor can I influence them. But I put my 2 cents in. David did an awesome job, but the direction they pushed him and the other dj, messed it up. You’d think a club that spent that amount of money on every thing would concentrate on a music game plan. It was amateur night. You can’t build a club, call a dj up, tell him to spin and think its gonna be all right. Even the best dj in the world would have a hard time figuring the crowd out especially on opening night, but a real club, would of told the dj what they are looking for, and let him do his thing. They have to set the tone early, that Star Bar is gonna be different. Thing is, all the clubs down there have no idea what djs are coming into play at their competition. I however do, and I’ll tell you this, cheesy music and 93.1 shit is not gonna fly when the big boys show up across the street or down the block. No one is saying not to mix it up, but you don’t go from Rivera to Ja Rule. Just because people aren’t’ dancing doesn’t’ mean its not good music. Ask Oscar G. He told me when they first opened space, no one showed up. Did Oscar sell out for the crowd? Nope, he did his thing and he is the best DJ in the state now. Star Bar needs a plan for the music. They should have already had that, but being their first night, I won’t really harp on them. But you bring in a dj, let him do his thing. If one of my boys was spinning there, and they messed with his set, you’d see hell. There is no problem in talking it over and discussing it, but you don’t’ change the music like that. Your goal should not to please everyone, from the house heads, to the hip hop heads, to the progressive heads, to the tech heads etc. Main stream house with some classics is all that place needs. David my suggestion is to start off slower, and bring in more vox. Then play like you did in the beginning of the night. Overall, good job. And you can ask anyone on here, if I didn’t like it, I will fucking let you have it. Too bad you got blamed for all that hip hop shit, the crowd didn't know you weren't spining at the time. And I know I will get hell for saying this, but Cheeselini would be a perfect fit over there. And I would support him. Thing is Roland is so much better that IB looks really bad, but in Lauderdale, there is no Roland so he’d do well.

Overall, the place is great, and you should check it out. I had a blast. Yea I’m picky but these things are just for my reviews. But I will definitely go back. Its new and much will change, but it has the foundation, now all they need is my man on the decks in the main room.... WE ALL KNOW WHO I'M TALKING ABOUT. MAKE IT HAPPEN. IT WILL WORK...

I would like to say thank you, to my girl Amy and happy birthday. Your bar will always be my home turf no matter what....

the place is located behind voodoo and sutra on los olas... on the river walk...

The place was nice the music selection was horrible, but the women were unbelievably HOT:tongue: .....

They made it look like Nikki Beach which is cool but they need to work on the music selection big time, they would play some house music and everyone would be dancing and they would throw down some hip hop shit and the dance floor would empty out......

All in All the place was hot but needs to make some changes...:cool:

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by anteye

Definitely more fun than Sobe. It hurt a little, seeing as it used to be the Edge and all, but the tons of beautiful women made up for that. Good to talk to you Nick. Hopefully see you next week.

M@

We will be back next week. Gotta get hooked up with a list though. I actually paid last week!:eek: :eek: :eek:

saleen paying? WTF is this world comming to?:D

any how, it was fun, and it was a great chill spot. Its sobe without the attitude... (but hip hop has to go)....

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by lolahotass

I used to loooovveeee that patio at the chili pepper.. I hope it lasts!

I will have check it out next weekend - maybe:D SALEEN CALL ME NEXT TIME BEOTCH;)

Lola:tongue:

I DID CALL YOU BE OCH!!!!!!! AT 5AM ON SAT NIGHT..CHECK YOUR MESSAGES. YOU WERE SNUGGLING AND DIDN'T PICK UP YOUR PHONE... I TALKED TO HEATHER BY THE WAY.... SHE LOVES ME.....:love2:

Was at Star Bar Saturday. My roommate went to school with the two guys who own it. That's how i found out it was opening this past weekend despite the fact that i go down to FTL often.

Definitely a cool place. A little rough around the edges, but that's to be expected. And yes Saleen.....i'm told tweaks will be forthcoming. I know the guy who works the security there. Will ask him next time i see him about what they plan to do there.

And the distaff.....top notch, i can't agree more with the fellas on the thread. And yes, the shot girl was stunning....not to mention the babes behind the bars. Not the hottest assemblage of women i've seen (ever been to Prive above Opium on a Sunday night?), but it was there.....no doubt.

The music mix was strange. I agree there too. And the dance floor was never jumping. But this is to be understood in a place where one would be more induced to move their eyes than their feet. A lot to look at.

No hassle at the door.....ummm, the gate. I was on the guest list, but the sweetheart working the door was having problems finding my name. Instead of having me wait, or interrogating me like an Al Qaeda suspect, she just let me and my boys in.........btw, i didn't see anyone taking cover charges. Did any of you? They definitely need to do that there.....keep the trash away.

Drink prices were not inflated for a place of that calibre too.

:clap:

, i didn't see anyone taking cover charges. Did any of you?

yes $10 but you got a free drink pass so that did not bother me that much since crown & coke is $9 @ Space and most SoBe clubs.:D

Lett me tell you something

They keep playing that bling a bling bling hip-hop and the Stero ghetto fab. crew will infest and kill the place in a matter of weeks.:blown:

Guest saleen351

Well i met the dude that did all the hip hop shit. I"m not saying who he is, or pointing him out. Bascially I'm giving him a mulligan on the music. It was the first night, so they are spared the wrath of the saleen music reveiw... But next week is open season and any dj that plays there will get smoked if they don't step it up.. They should have 35 tracks picked out this week to play. I can name 15 off the top of my head that would do well. I can name another 25 by looking at my music library... down temp house with classics... then tribal with a latin feel tossed in. (Can anyone say Jimmy T!) But its called a SET. Build it up, find trigger points to change it up during the night. Read the crowd and never never never never never never never never sell out to hip hop... HIP HOP= closed club!

Just fucking book Belini for the first few weeks. He'll do a good job there, and is free till 6am on saturdays before he goest to space, unless he is somewhere else that i dont' know.. His down temp house and cheese will be fine for out there....

Hey HOG, imagine if they got Richard Cheese out there with his piano!!!!:laugh: People would love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Drunk sing along fest!!!!!!

HOG

Was thinking the exact same thing about the Stereo crowd.....although that place is so pathetic...it's going out of business very soon i'm sure...

I have no problem with HIP HOP at a club.....i like hiphop, but in a club it needs to be done right.....the djs who work Voodoo's "Envy" room know how to mix so that it becomes interesting......but i agree with Saleen that Hip Hop is NOT the way you want to go at a place like Star Bar.....It's like a rap concert at Carnegie Hall

Also imagine when that place attracts its standard crowd and you have the dance floor AND the stage above it filled up.

Originally posted by saleen351

I DID CALL YOU BE OCH!!!!!!! AT 5AM ON SAT NIGHT..CHECK YOUR MESSAGES. YOU WERE SNUGGLING AND DIDN'T PICK UP YOUR PHONE... I TALKED TO HEATHER BY THE WAY.... SHE LOVES ME.....:love2:

Yeaaa I got yur message - all though I have no clue what you were saying except "it's Saleen - if your up call".:laugh:

I was passed out - went to a concert all day in the hot-ass Florida sun and drank tons o' beer....... got kinda silly drunk:puke:

Sooooooooo are we going to this Star Bar on Saturday or what? I'm there if you guys go:D

Lola:eek:

Guest saleen351

ahhhhhhh i just thought of this. I gave my friend a copy of Rolands luna sessions that night. I should of went over to sutra, got the cd, and forced the guys to play it...

ROLAND ='S PATIO GURU!!!!!!!

i was talking to the hog bout this place...he gave it pretty good reviews...i also have been reading saleen's post about this place...i wouldnt mind going this Sat....only if saleen and the crew go and if THEY promise NOT to play hip hop...i am sure Meli wouldnt mind the hip hop:tongue: ...still early to be planning my weekend, but i am open to try something diff. this week...:D

Originally posted by mrmatas2277

i was talking to the hog bout this place...he gave it pretty good reviews...i also have been reading saleen's post about this place...i wouldnt mind going this Sat....only if saleen and the crew go and if THEY promise NOT to play hip hop...i am sure Meli wouldnt mind the hip hop:tongue: ...still early to be planning my weekend, but i am open to try something diff. this week...:D

I WANT TO LISTEN TO HIP HOP? :mad:

:tongue:

I would rather not hear cheesolini but he is better than hip hop

Jimmy T would be great out there IMO, or the 2 guys over at that little place named Bar with there sick sick drums. If they let those 2 and a DJ take turns that shit would be off da hizzzzzzzzook.

Originally posted by thehog

I would rather not hear cheesolini but he is better than hip hop

Jimmy T would be great out there IMO, or the 2 guys over at that little place named Bar with there sick sick drums. If they let those 2 and a DJ take turns that shit would be off da hizzzzzzzzook.

Yoo I'd rather hear Bellini-Linguini anyday over hip hop... F*CK THAT:blown:

Jimmy T spinning at an outside venue.... NICE:D :D :D

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by lolahotass

Yeaaa I got yur message - all though I have no clue what you were saying except "it's Saleen - if your up call".:laugh:

I was passed out - went to a concert all day in the hot-ass Florida sun and drank tons o' beer....... got kinda silly drunk:puke:

Sooooooooo are we going to this Star Bar on Saturday or what? I'm there if you guys go:D

YOU CAN'T HANG WITH THE BIG BOYS... OR YOU CAN CONTROL YOUR SELF AROUND CUTE ITALIANS... WE'LL PREGAME HERE, AND YOU CAN STAY ON THE AERO BED SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO DRIVE HOME. MANY FEMALES ENJOY THE EXPERIENCE OF THE AERO BED. JUST NOT ON MINE LATELY:(

lauderdale eh-??

aahhh.. the old edge location... brings back pleasant thoughts.

Just fucking book Belini for the first few weeks. He'll do a good job there, and is free till 6am on saturdays before he goest to space, unless he is somewhere else that i dont' know.. His down temp house and cheese will be fine for out there....

Ivano is @ Crobar Saturday nights.

Originally posted by saleen351

YOU CAN'T HANG WITH THE BIG BOYS... OR YOU CAN CONTROL YOUR SELF AROUND CUTE ITALIANS... WE'LL PREGAME HERE, AND YOU CAN STAY ON THE AERO BED SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO DRIVE HOME. MANY FEMALES ENJOY THE EXPERIENCE OF THE AERO BED. JUST NOT ON MINE LATELY:(

Yeah I don't think I can control myself around the cute italians, shit I'm in trouble Saleen:eek: :tongue::laugh:;)

I'm ready to check out Lauderdale... it's been a while - plus I used to totally dig that patio at Chili Peppers..... Woah, nightlife located 10 mins from my house - sweet.....

My bed gets more action from my friends that come visit me than the fockin' owner of the bed - ME:mad: So unfair:blown:

Lola:D

• 2 weeks later...