Clubplanet Nightlife Community

The propaganda continues

Originally posted by darkfyre

i dont see how this is in any way propaganda.

"prop·a·gan·da Pronunciation Key (prp-gnd) n.

The systematic propagation of a doctrine or cause or of information reflecting the views and interests of those advocating such a doctrine or cause.

Material disseminated by the advocates or opponents of a doctrine or cause: wartime propaganda.

Propaganda Roman Catholic Church. A division of the Roman Curia that has authority in the matter of preaching the gospel, of establishing the Church in non-Christian countries, and of administering Church missions in territories where there is no properly organized hierarchy. "

Why do I call it propaganda?

1. systematic -- This is the fourth news story I've seen in ONE week by major media journalists (NY Times, National Geographic, USA Today, and AP/UPI) that write along the logic of of "raves have drugs; therefore raves are bad. Look at what our heroic law enforcement and proactive, leading governments are doing to eradicate this problem." NOT coincidentally, this is happening at the same time as legislative debate on the issue. What better way to sway uninformed public opinion?

2. Deceptive statement of purpose. If drug use and abuse is the intended target of the articles, why is binge drinking and hospitalizations due to alcohol poisoning not also mentioned as a social problem? The damn USA Today article said that where raves occur, "stoned youth trash neighborhoods." WHAT? What about riots that happen at universities such as Dayton where after street keg parties cars are overturned, homes burned....? Have you EVER seen a person on Ecstasy commit an act of violence? IT'S SIMPLY NOT TRUE. If these journalists were truly interested in awareness about issues as such, why aren't they more inclusive? It is an unfair targeting of a scene that is already grossly misunderstood.

3. The article rejects those who say it is about the music. Yet, it neglects to mention that thousands of people have brought the music "above-ground" into clubs and public venues over the past decade because they truly in it for the MUSIC. If the scene was nothing more than drugged-up addicts, would public venues survive? I am old enough to remember the 'real' raves and warehouse parties of yesteryear. The clubs and parties of today scarcely resemble those of 'back in the day.' The scene has survivied because of the music. The article is WRONG.

4. Furthermore, I'm pissed off because dj's and music producers rely on venues, promoters, and fans to EARN THEIR LIVING. Do you understand? We don't have radio to broadcast our latest Top 40 hit. We don't have a music video channel to air our latest video. Raves and clubs are our livelihood!!! If the government shuts down clubs and parties or otherwise restricts peoples' access to the music, we are outright shit outta luck for an audience to perform to. It is not fair. Is an artist not going to be allowed to earn a living at his or her talents because a dozen teenagers fuck up?

I could go on and on, but this post is already too long. PLEASE take some time to educate others, be responsible, and make your voice heard. If we don't stand up for ourselves, no one else will.

:flame: