Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Age vs. Experience

sorta a recap but i think that:

- age in and of itself means nothing

- time (and thus age) gives you the opportunity to gain experience

- where you are and who are are and what you do shapes that experience

- what you gain from that experience will vary from person to person depending on personality, intelligence, interaction, etc.

- without experience you can be perceptive and intuitive but not savvy or mature about something

mikey - you made perfect sense :aright:

im just gonna post the same thing i posted on Exp... ill read the rest of this thread later..

experience... def. expereince is what makes you grow as a person. You learn right from wrong and i think there are certain expreinces in life that everyone needs to go through.

Now obviously, the older you get the more experience you gain. I mean a 16 could have the same expreince of 25 year old but i think that the 25 year old would be more mature because they prob know how to handle things better. When you get older i think your more open to ideas and options and can see more clearly when a problem arises. Wisdom comes with age.

ok.. i think i'm gonna stop rambling now and get some work done. did that make any sense? :D

Ok... Here is my 2 Pennies...

Age has little to do with Maturity... And you can say with age comes experience... This is not true either... Some people at age 18 have gone through and "experienced" more than many people who are 25 or 26 or even 30 for that matter...

Key factors ---

The surroundings that you grew up in...

Who raised you and how they raised you...

Broken homes and not so broken homes...

The people in which you associate yourself with...

I mean I am not saying which makes you more mature or immature... They are all just factors...

Some people are forced to grow up a little faster than others are. Usually resulting in a higher maturity level then those who were pampered through life... Not always... but usually... Don't get me wrong I know people who have been pampered through life and are very well rounded people and very down to earth and mature about life... But alot of times this is not the case...

All in all just don't assume that with age comes experience...

And what somebitch said about WISDOM...

Basically it comes down to how you handle what life has to throw at you at any given time... And depending which "path" you take determines your maturity...

So I guess in a way it stems from EXPERIENCE...

I don't know... this all may not make sense... Or it may make alot of sense... I am tired... It is late... And I am rambling...

Good Night...

MAYBE THIS WILL HELP...

Statements describing ot referring to a mature person:

If an individual is going to grow toward the kind of maturity we are talking about, he will find it helpful to have secure development, pre-adult underpinnings - he should not have to deflect his energies into "refighting" childhood battles or nursing old hurts. Maturity can only be built on sound foundations.

When a person can live with his past without being bogged down by it, he remains adaptable, capable of continued change.

Another characteristic of becoming mature is the development of wisdom.

The mature individual can be ribald or genteel, sweet or acid, jolly or glum. The important point is that he be alive, with vigorous interests that make him interesting to be with. He should have a sense of humor.

An important characteristic of the individual who becomes mature is that he is at home with reality.

The mature individual cannot look outer reality in the face unless he is prepared to look himself in the face, too. He is at home with himself.

It follows that the mature individual has to be able to love comfortably with his own body, whether it be strong or weak, handsome or ugly, healthy or failing.

If the individual's growth toward maturity is rooted in the positive emotional bonds of early infancy, human relationships are going to have a high priority for him.

The person equipped with the human sensitivities that make for maturity will usually have powerful concern with social problems and ways of alleviating them.

For all his social-mindedness, for all his savoring of human relationships, the maturing individual is not dependent on always having company.

It is apparent that the person who is becoming mature does not accept values readymade.

The mature individual has to learn when to conform and when not to conform, when to speak out and when to remain silent. His values must be so structured and scaled that he can distinguish between what is central and inviolable and what is peripheral and expendable - or at least can be postponed.

To live realistically (which by no means forbids the conscious exploitation and employment of fantasy) means to live in consciousness of one's own mortality.

The mature person knows that he has to go on choosing alternatives, that each alternative costs him something, and there are things he will never be able to do and experience. He also knows that there are things he will never be able to do again, that he can never recapture his youth or relive his first encounters with certain experiences. He knows that his integrity is continually threatened by practical demands, by seductive temptations, by concessions and compromises, by conflicting values, and can only be preserved at the cost of some psychic strain.

He knows that the only real rewards in life come with continued growth, and that there is no room in the one material life he has for major regrets. This individual who has approached maturity can know that he has loved, had done his work, has made his mark on people and, although he wishes there were more time, that he has made the most of what there was

In Summary: The adult with a capacity for true maturity is one who has grown out of childhood experiences without losing childhood's best traits. He has retained the basic emotional strengths of infancy, the stubborn autonomy of "toddlerhood", the capacity for wonder and pleasure and playfulness of the preschool years, the capacity for affiliation and intellectual curiosity of the school years, and the idealism and passion of adolescence. He has incorporated these into a new pattern of simplicity dominated by adult stability, wisdom, knowledge, sensitivity to other people, responsibility, strength, and purposefulness.