Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Lauderdale Was Off The Hook....

Guest saleen351

Originally posted by saleen351

brian1500 lives in NJ and me and him know the same djs in nj... trust me ivanno should play lauderdale, he'd fit right in, but cedric i have no idea, no one every gave him good reviews, but anyways what you see me post about is all ny/nj guys, no miami/sobe or foreign guys.. My goal is to provide the transplants a northeast party, with northeast beats, djs, classics, energy etc.... us nj/nyc folk are left out i'm trying to bring that here, and so far its on track. But i don't work for any club, so i just talk shit till someone listens:D

As long as there are girls, I wouldn't mind bringing DJs from Texas:eek: :eek:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by BRIAN1500

IMO no one of the four have the name recognition yet. No disrespect to any of them cause they all are great DJs. I think Denny would be a good fit down there. His mixing is flawless.

here is a hint...

DSCF0092.jpeg

Originally posted by elduderino

Now, the picture on Brian1500's post...THAT's what I call a healthy male-to-female ratio. It's all about balance....where do I stand in line for that club?!?! :hat:

Try Nikkis, 1 Ocean Drive, Sunday. Hottest girls per square feet in America. :tongue:

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by BRIAN1500

IMO no one of the four have the name recognition yet. No disrespect to any of them cause they all are great DJs. I think Denny would be a good fit down there. His mixing is flawless.

He would out mix every dj down here, hands down... He'd be such a great fit down here, it boggles the mind why they never went for it.. But now the clubs in miami suck, and they are getting worried about the boys up the road... They should be.. Place has got a vibe... I'm not asking for Temps, but some vox and some classics would be nice, and these fucks down here refuse to play them... And don't get me started on acapellas, these djs down here, have nooooooooooooooooooooooo idea on how to use them live...

My $.02...

I'm 39 years old. I grew up in this area. I have been going to clubs in Ft. Lauderdale, miami and Sobe since I was a kid. I have been clubbing in Ibiza, London, Germany, France, Italy and pretty much every other clubbing destination. I have been in the biz for the last 6 years. So I think I have a reasonably firm grasp of the situation as it relates to this thread.

Ft. Lauderdale has always been and will always be a completely different market. There is NO WAY they can compete. Saleen, you are dreaming and just plain wrong if you believe that Broward will ever achieve the level of nightlife that Sobe and Downtown have.

First of all, Ft. Laud. is not "cool" or "hip". The crowd is different. The reason that everything is cheaper is because it has to be. Simple supply and demand.

Sobe and Downtown have something for everyone. Upscale, downmarket, indoor, outdoor, warehouse, trendy, Big DJ, every music genre, 24 hr liquor...it's all in one area. Just this week alone...

Oakey, Jules, Piccotto, Bond, Acosta, Roland, Ivano, Oscar...

And that's not even the whole list...Global Gathering alone kicks Lauderdale's ass. All we've heard from you is that the music sucked but the drinks and cover were cheap. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

I'm happy that you dig it and it works for you, but don't kid yourself, the real party is down here.

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by ogmiami

My $.02...

Oakey, Jules, Piccotto, Bond, Acosta, Roland, Ivano, Oscar...

well what do u do and where do u do it.. you brought up you are in the industry, i'm curious to see where, simply because you have no idea of anything going on....

in that list of djs you just posted about, 3 of them are slated to play lauderdale...

you left off another dj who is playing this weekend as well, who is also slated to play lauderdale...

i dont' run my mouth with no substance behind it........ i back up with what i say with facts. I can understand people thinking i run my mouth and i just talk out of my ass, but i'll leave it at this, THOSE WHO KNOW,,,, KNOW!

and don't talk supply and demand with drinks and shit like that, maze has cheaper drinks then lauderdale... once again i'm in the know, they even called me!!!!!

game

set

match.........

also the guy doing the parties in lauderdale, throws the biggest parties in sobe as well... hes been around the block way longer then you...

next.................

Originally posted by ogmiami

My $.02...

Ft. Lauderdale has always been and will always be a completely different market. There is NO WAY they can compete. Saleen, you are dreaming and just plain wrong if you believe that Broward will ever achieve the level of nightlife that Sobe and Downtown have.

Would it work if a club such as......Twilo decided to venture Lauderdale?? Or Spundae??????

I'm just curious. Because it seems there is meat in that market...with more cash than down here nowadys.

The excitement of a big name club would attact people. And those clubs would have the pull to bring talent...

But please.............don't shoot meeeeeeeeee........:hat:

Originally posted by vipnerd

Would it work if a club such as......Twilo decided to venture Lauderdale?? Or Spundae??????

I'm just curious. Because it seems there is meat in that market...with more cash than down here nowadys.

The excitement of a big name club would attact people. And those clubs would have the pull to bring talent...

But please.............don't shoot meeeeeeeeee........:hat:

You asked for it!

:2guns::hat::biggun:

ps.what's with that hat anyways?

In terms of worldwide recognition, Twilo or Spundae would not make their beachhead in Fort Lauderdale. The laws are too restricitive to allow a real club in Fort Lauderdale. If anything, they would open downtown. Majestic Properties has several warehouses on the market for just such an application, and I'm sure they and the other realtors have fielded requests from the likes of Twilo, Spundae, etc...Like I said, FTL will never bowl over Miami, it'll be a complement to it, like Seaside Heights is to New York. Miami people will go to FTL for laughs, and maybe a cheap night out...but most Miami people will stay in Miami, it's where they are most connected, and most comfortable. As for the Fort Lauderdaleites having more cash, yeah maybe so, (look at Weston), but they're the type to blow it all at sports bars and golf tournaments, not the sort to go out to a nightclub. And if they do go out, they go to Miami and hang out at Opium or Mynt. There's more $$$ in those joints than in 10 Lauderdale clubs. Sure, some of it's not legit, but it's $$$ all the same...

The Miami scene in general consists of pretentious assholes (Mynt, Nikki Beach), bling blingers (Level except on Saturdays), and crackheads (every club), but the positive sides are enough to keep me down there.

Again, Fort Lauderdale has to work extra hard to get me to come up, I may venture up for a fact-finding expedition, but to be a regular, it's gonna take something on the scale of a Space-duplicate with a similar lineup exclusive to that club to go up there. But if you live up there, more power to ya, it's gonna be a battle. You're fighting several factors including conservatism of the local populace, tradition-bound bar and club owners not wanting to upset the applecart, city leaders who see Las Olas and Riverwalk as being 'just fine', and not wanting to bring in the 'crazy element', and many others.

Originally posted by pod

In terms of worldwide recognition, Twilo or Spundae would not make their beachhead in Fort Lauderdale. The laws are too restricitive to allow a real club in Fort Lauderdale. If anything, they would open downtown. Majestic Properties has several warehouses on the market for just such an application, and I'm sure they and the other realtors have fielded requests from the likes of Twilo, Spundae, etc...Like I said, FTL will never bowl over Miami, it'll be a complement to it, like Seaside Heights is to New York. Miami people will go to FTL for laughs, and maybe a cheap night out...but most Miami people will stay in Miami, it's where they are most connected, and most comfortable. As for the Fort Lauderdaleites having more cash, yeah maybe so, (look at Weston), but they're the type to blow it all at sports bars and golf tournaments, not the sort to go out to a nightclub. And if they do go out, they go to Miami and hang out at Opium or Mynt. There's more $$$ in those joints than in 10 Lauderdale clubs. Sure, some of it's not legit, but it's $$$ all the same...

The Miami scene in general consists of pretentious assholes (Mynt, Nikki Beach), bling blingers (Level except on Saturdays), and crackheads (every club), but the positive sides are enough to keep me down there.

Again, Fort Lauderdale has to work extra hard to get me to come up, I may venture up for a fact-finding expedition, but to be a regular, it's gonna take something on the scale of a Space-duplicate with a similar lineup exclusive to that club to go up there. But if you live up there, more power to ya, it's gonna be a battle. You're fighting several factors including conservatism of the local populace, tradition-bound bar and club owners not wanting to upset the applecart, city leaders who see Las Olas and Riverwalk as being 'just fine', and not wanting to bring in the 'crazy element', and many others.

Couldn't the like of Spundae and/or Twilo buy one of the existing clubs in Lauderdale, pack them up with a real sound system and bring the talent known to them??? They would cater to the Lauderdale community, no competition in Lauderdale, and still no competition from the Miami mega-clubs.....'cause we know people from Miami wouldn't go on a regular basis.....and in this case could be viceversa..........

Imagine a Saturday with Deep Dish at Space, Timo Maas at Crobar and maybe a Danny tenaglia at a Twilo?? (I have no idea on exclusivity contracts...help Saleen351!!!)

What Lauderdale needs is a prestigeous club opening.....with experience....with contacts in the industry.....

I still think there is more people with money, that would go to a mega-club in Lauderdale than people in SOBE, where most of the ones with "money" are simply bluffing.........:eek: You know how you can tell??????.............look down to them........and look at their shoes........money buys shoes:D

Hint: If only in my dreams this happens, I would move to Aventura:D

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by vipnerd

Imagine a Saturday with Deep Dish at Space, Timo Maas at Crobar and maybe a Danny tenaglia at a Twilo?? (I have no idea on exclusivity contracts...help Saleen351!!!)

well i'm flattered you think i would know the contract shit, but i really don't. I just put the pieces together of what people tell them then i form my opinion based on what i would do.

with that being said, i really think you will see a dj war in south florida..

well we already know:

lawler

dt

og

roland

stephan

more then likely tiesto

all will never never never never never play maze...

now put mazes list up of djs they have on lock down (which i don't know who they are)

and then add crobar and even level...

what you got is a WAR on djs..

Club have to lock these guys down. Doesnt' make sense not to, but i'm sure some djs are cowboys and won't sign on the dotted line so they can freely roam around down here. OG played the grove, but it was a thrusday, but i highly doubt lp would let him play every friday somewhere else.. since that cuts into spins bottom line..

point is i'm not sure how lauderdale works its way in on this so called dj war. I don't think people really consider lauderdale as a threat, so i'm doubtful now these guys are locked down so they can't play up here, and we all know lauderdale doesn't have the pull to lock any of these guys down...

so in the end, i really don't know nothing.. but its sure gonna be fun to watch the war develope between clubs.. Almost SF vs Exit days...

Not quite. Fort Lauderdale has a huge reputation as a 'college town' to live down. I don't think Twilo or Spundae is gonna open up just for cheap land. They need more than just that. They need a friendly city government (The Beach has a Nightlife Commision for god's sake! Plus Downtown Miami practically begs clubs to open up there with the 24-hour license...more on that in a sec..), which Lauderdale doesn't have. They get pissed over the 4:30-5:00 am closing time.

A Twilo especially would need extended operating hours to live up to the name. You think Danny T. would spin there if they told him to can it at 5? Hell no! He's barely gotten going at 5 AM! Same for a lot of other DJs. They wanna play out, they can do it in Downtown Miami.

There will have to be a major shift in local politics up there to make Lauderdale friendly to a real club. For now, it's just gonna be lounges, sports bars, and smaller clubs. OGMiami is right, there's just no way right now and for the forseeable future that Fort Lauderdale could do that. Miami is just too strong and has a friendly atmosphere to a real club. The most i see Lauderdale doing is Saleen manages to get some of his friends to play there, and establishes a night up there, or something like that. A few good nights up there are hardly enough to kill off the scene here.

On a sidenote, this is the kinda thread I like! Sensible arguing! :)

There is a war down here, it's all about exclusivity contracts. Space DJs don't play at crobar and vice versa. The fact that the DJs are willing to commit to such says a lot about the owners of the venues, both Ken and Louis are respectable businessmen and would not resort to coercion to get the DJs to play at their venues exclusively. The DJs see that the club is a good venue, and sign because they know it will look good for them, and for the club. Everyone wins. The war part comes when the clubs compete for hot new talent, or try to lure each other's DJs away from the competition :)

Originally posted by pod

The most i see Lauderdale doing is Saleen manages to get some of his friends to play there, and establishes a night up there, or something like that. A few good nights up there are hardly enough to kill off the scene here.

I have to agree w/ Pod on this. Lauderdale will probably develop at least one special night. However, the Broward gov't is just 2 unfriendly to work with. They are always going after Atlantis and in the day the Chili Pepper. If the laws become more friendly it will make a huge difference. If I had big money to invest I would rather put it in a city that wants my business. However, I do see the Lauderdale scene evolving and becoming more relevant. Isn't it great to have options!!! A few of my diehard Miami friends have made the trip up. They liked it and come back from time to time. They still spend most of their time at Space or SoBe, but once in a while they enjoy the change.

Originally posted by saleen351

so in the end, i really don't know nothing.. but its sure gonna be fun to watch the war develope between clubs.. Almost SF vs Exit days...

I'm ready for it.....plus I think it puts a lot more quality to our nightlife...

One thing I can tell you.....none of the clubs open right now have the variable components that make a great club

quality DJ + Good looking girls + vibe

IMO:

Space: Best DJs + very low on girls + OK vibe

Crobar: low in DJs + OK girls + OK vibe

Level: no DJs + no girls + no vibe

Spin: OK in DJs + low in girls + low in vibe

Lets see what happens with MAZE. Please reviews on Saturday so the ones that left town can now...:)

You will never have a war of clubs down here like in NY.

There is no strict SPACE, CROBAR, JOESCHMOS crowd, like there is in NY for SF, VINYL, EXIT.

The regulars in those clubs outnumber the regulars in any Miami clubs by 1000's.

Saleen you should go get your Degree in Clubs, open one, and get "your" Dj's to play in them.

P.s. - Manny the Greek is horrible.

P.s.s. - No one in Fort Lauderdale would know what the fuck Denny is playing, these people wanna hear Im a Redneck girl instead of anything a Good Dj would have to offer, they call every song Trance.

Once again...Saleen is running off at the mouth.

"well what do u do and where do u do it.. you brought up you are in the industry, i'm curious to see where, simply because you have no idea of anything going on...."

FYI - My name is Dade. I used to own a club on South Beach called Shadow Lounge. I was the first to bring in internationally known DJ's. First to bring Trance to South Beach. I was the person who brought Oakenfold to Opium on Monday. I have put on shows with just about every big DJ you can think of and I did it first.

"in that list of djs you just posted about, 3 of them are slated to play lauderdale... "

When and where?

"i dont' run my mouth with no substance behind it........ i back up with what i say with facts. I can understand people thinking i run my mouth and i just talk out of my ass, "

Yeah you do.

I didn't post in this thread to have an argument with you or anyone else. It is simply a fact that everything you've said has been said for years without coming true. There are reasons for it that you don't even want to think about. Bottom Line...every weekend there are loads of people who come down from Lauderdale to party in SoBe and Downtown...not the other way around.

Anyway, enjoy Lauderdale. Peace, Dade