Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Would you choose clubbing over having sex?An unofficial poll.

sassa

Originally posted by juniorla:

...and the hobos who want a gratuity to guard your car if you're lucky enough to get street parking...

LMAO! This practice is spreading. There was a whole organized system of this in front of Insomnia on Sat.

LARGE DUDE W/ BASEBALL BAT(FLASH LIGHT):

"Please give me money to watch over your car or..."

cwm13.gifcwm14.gifcwm21.gif

Originally posted by herbalist:

LMAO! This practice is spreading. There was a whole organized system of this in front of Insomnia on Sat.

LARGE DUDE W/ BASEBALL BAT(FLASH LIGHT):

"Please give me money to watch over your car or..."

NIIIIIIICE. The homeless are franchiseing the street parking racket.

cwm2.gifcwm2.gifcwm43.gif

herbalist and sassa-

and the crowd moving among those places was always different, interesting, well mixed.

That is the one thing I would miss the most about NYC when I move to Cali... there's something wonderful to be said about diversity, makes you more open minded about everything...

------------------

I had a dream... a wet dream... looks like God is pissing on me again...

caveman.gif

herbalist and sassa-

agreed and good points. things in la can be very compartmentalized in some ways because you drive to everything and then valet when you get there. there isn't so much street mixing that makes cities feel more...alive i guess. addams morgan had an ethiopian restaurant next to a mexican joint, next to an italian place, next to a club next to a coffeehouse, next to a jamaican joint, and so on, along with a colorful assortment of bums, including the compliment guy and the hobos who want a gratuity to guard your car if you're lucky enough to get street parking. and the crowd moving among those places was always different, interesting, well mixed. la is great, no doubt, but something like that would make it better. like the way that melrose is vibrant during the day, sorta, but with diversity.

Ever tried the Red Sea restaurant?It's the Ethiopian one right across the street from a Thai one..it's amazing.

If you want diversity stay away from the beach communities or the dreaded west side (here we go again tongue.gif ). You will find it (in a different west coast version) on the east side of town, Hollywood, Los Feliz, Silverlake, etc. Of course it won't be the same as NYC, but it has it's own flavor.

Where is the Red Sea Restaurant? Is it on Fairfax?

[This message has been edited by dlish (edited 01-08-2001).]

I jaunted through Adam's Morgan for one night. Walked into about three/ four places. I was a one man crusader. My favorite area ened up being Dupont Circle. I went to a cool sushi joint called Dragonfly. Some other club MCMXIII-whatever.

I'm sure DC will be a cool place during inaguration week.

dlish~ there you go smacking your lips again! wink.gif VENICE beach is about as diverse as all of L.A. combined! and that's on the west side.

does it really matter? west side, east side, north and south?! Can't we all just get along???? biggrin.gif

------------------

bathing.gif laluhlaluhlalala...

Originally posted by dlish:

Where is the Red Sea Restaurant? Is it on Fairfax?

It's a little bit east of that. cwm1.gif Red Sea 2463 18th Street NW Washington, DC 20009

(202)483-5000

My friends in Georgetown love Zeds. Must check this place out next time in DC.

[This message has been edited by herbalist (edited 01-08-2001).]

i'm trying to think of the ethiop restaurant we used to go to. it was really close to cities (if that is still there) and was really, really good. also, a personal fav was cactus cantina.

hank, i agree, dragonfly is a good place, too. did you hit the 18th street lounge? a great hangout, esp. in the summer. nice couches. they have their own label; mostly downbeat, good stuff. if you didn't go there, try it next time. it's close to 5, which is not a great space but it's one of the places they get good dj's in dc (5 and nation are the best).

i agree that there is tons of diversity here, but there just isn't the same kind of street mixing that leads to the more diverse crowds that sassa and hank and i were bs'ing about. because the city is so spread out people tend to go to specific places and it's harder to hop place to place, restaurant to club without getting in the car and heading out. whatever, i still really dig it here and wouldn't go back to dc unless i had to.

also, i love it when dlish rev's up the westside attack machine and everyone starts to bristle... cwm1.gif

Ahhhh, you were talkin' DC. Hell yea I know the 18th Street Lounge and it's respecitive label, both owned and operated by the cats of Thievery Corporation (one of my favorite downtempo artists/dj's). When I get The Spot going again on Friday's, I'll have a downtempo lounge similar to that of the 18th Street Lounge, both the music and the vibe. Keep your eyes open for that date.

Yea, I like to get everyone all riled up about the west side.

[This message has been edited by dlish (edited 01-08-2001).]

herbalist and sassa-

agreed and good points. things in la can be very compartmentalized in some ways because you drive to everything and then valet when you get there. there isn't so much street mixing that makes cities feel more...alive i guess. addams morgan had an ethiopian restaurant next to a mexican joint, next to an italian place, next to a club next to a coffeehouse, next to a jamaican joint, and so on, along with a colorful assortment of bums, including the compliment guy and the hobos who want a gratuity to guard your car if you're lucky enough to get street parking. and the crowd moving among those places was always different, interesting, well mixed. la is great, no doubt, but something like that would make it better. like the way that melrose is vibrant during the day, sorta, but with diversity.

I know what you mean. I totally noticed this about the east coast. I think there is a lot of sectionalism here, almost a socio-economic cast system based on where you live. Ethnicity plays some part in it, but its more about $ than your color. But also I think that for all the diversity talk, there's still some discomfort out here for people that are different. In NY, because everyone and everything is so crammed together, you're almost forced to interact with people different than you. In the commuter society of Los Angeles you really don't.

definitely agree with hank... here in cali, i only hang out with asians (3 friends, mind you). not cos i choose to but only cos i grew up in asian random town off of the 57/60 USA. hanging out in nyc with different groups of friends every night--i realized we all have completely different etnicities, social backgrounds, interests, etc...except that we're all completely crazy!!!

------------------

lightshow.giflightshow.giflightshow.giflightshow.gif

Originally posted by gumby76:

Just protecting the home turf, thats all. cwm21.gif You wouldn't want some dude walking into your place of residence and pinchin' a loaf on the carpet in the middle of the foyer eek.gif regardless of how dirty/drab the place is.

you'd be surprised how many times that has happened since i moved here... gumby, i'm with ya, brutha. i just like watching it happen.

cwm1.gif

Dlish-sounds great, fire up The Spot. I'll be there. cwm26.gif

Just protecting the home turf, thats all. cwm21.gif You wouldn't want some dude walking into your place of residence and pinchin' a loaf on the carpet in the middle of the foyer eek.gif regardless of how dirty/drab the place is.

Jeez, I didn't know you westsider's were soooo sensitive. I didn't realize pokin' fun was droppin' turds on your turf...hey, I have to pick up my dog's turds off the turf everyday. tongue.gif

Originally posted by dlish:

...hey, I have to pick up my dog's turds off the turf everyday. tongue.gif

But you don't hump on my leg or fetch my slippers on a daily basis so why should I have to deal with YOUR shite...come to think of it...neither does my girlfriend, but but that doesn't stop her cwm2.gif

------------------

showoff.gif

But you don't hump on my leg or fetch my slippers on a daily basis so why should I have to deal with YOUR shite...come to think of it...neither does my girlfriend, but but that doesn't stop her cwm2.gif

LMAO cwm27.gif

------------------

Leave them alone, they had to wait 15 minutes this morning before their pedicures, which gives them the God-given 310 right to be crabbee.

THANK YOU! And FYI it was a manicure AND perdicure.

cwm35.gif

------------------

...also, i love it when dlish rev's up the westside attack machine and everyone starts to bristle... cwm1.gif

------------------

showoff.gif

ethiopian food is fairly different from indian. most of the difference is about the spices and the bread. with ethiopian you select a few dishes, usually of cooked or raw meats. some are spicy but in different ways than indian. the bread has the texture of a chamois--y'know what i mean, those deerskin things you use to dry off your car after you wash it? it's kinda stretchy/springy, feels more like a towel than bread. also it's made of sourdough--very sour. you use pieces of this bread to pick up the different meats from the plates and eat using your hands. it's fun and good if the restaurant is good. try it some time on fairfax. i think the place i tried here on fairfax was called rosalinds and it was ok good.

Archived