Clubplanet Nightlife Community

*Help restore student financial aid*

In 1998 Congress passed amendments to the Higher Education Act (HEA) that delays or denies federal financial assistance to anyone ever convicted of any drug related offense. Right now Representative Barney Frank is hoping to pass legislation that would repeal this ineffective provision, and he is looking for Congressional co-sponsors.

Drug Policy Alliance opposes the 1998 amendments to the Higher

Education Act. Denying the opportunity to acquire an education to those who want and/or need it most will not solve our nation's drug problems; instead, it adds fuel the fire. There are a variety of unintended consequences associated with the 1998 amendments to the HEA. Denying access to education for those who want or need it the most slows economic growth, increases the propensity to engage in criminal activity, undermines our nation's values, and destroys the principles America was founded upon. Also, because communities of color are disproportionately impacted by drug law enforcement the HEA restrictions are likely to intensify racial disparities on college campuses across the nation.

ACTIONS TO TAKE:

-- Call your Representative and urge him or her to co-sponsor Rep. Frank's bill to repeal the 1998 Higher Education Act amendments that denies access to federal education loans to any person convicted of any drug related crime.

You can contact your Representative through the Capitol Switchboard at 202-224-3121. To find out who your Representative is visit: http://clerk.house.gov/members/index.php

-- Follow-up your phone call with a fax. You can use our convenient system: http://actioncenter.drugpolicy.org/action/index.aspstep=2&item=1478

-- Please forward this action alert to your friends and family. Representatives need to know that the 1998 amendments to HEA are not without consequence and that they have an opportunity to change

MORE ON THE BILL

To increase access to postsecondary education regardless of race, religion, or socio-economic status the federal government enacted a variety of programs via passage of the 1965 Higher Education Act (HEA). HEA provided a source of federal assistance to needy students and families hoping to advance their educational opportunities. Today, federal assistance programs are the single largest source of student aid throughout the nation, providing roughly $40 billion per year to approximately 17 million students.

In 1998 HEA was revised to include a new provision that denies

federal assistance to any person convicted of any drug-related

crime. Under the new provision students are required to answer Question #35 on the Free Application for Student Financial Assistance inquiring about past drug-related convictions -applications with Question #35 left blank are not processed and will not be evaluated.

There are a variety of unintended consequences associated with the 1998 amendments to the HEA. Denying access to education for those who want or need it the most slows economic growth, increases the propensity to engage in criminal activity, undermines our nation's values, and destroys the principles America was founded upon. Also, because communities of color are disproportionately impacted by drug law enforcement the HEA restrictions are likely to intensify racial disparities on college campuses across the nation.

Right now Rep. Barney Frank (D-MA) is looking for co-sponsors on a piece of legislation that would repeal the drug-related provision of the Higher Education Act. This new bill is identical to HR 786, which Mr. Frank introduced in the last Congress. His legislation is strongly supported by a variety of groups including the National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators, the NAACP, the United States Student Association and nearly 100 colleges and universities around the country.

Drug Policy Alliance opposes the 1998 amendments to the Higher

Education Act. Denying the opportunity to acquire an education to those who want and/or need it most will not solve our nation's drug problems; instead, it adds fuel the fire.

Help us help students! Call your representative and ask him or her to co-sponsor legislation that repeals the 1998 amendments to the Higher Education Act.

so basically, if you fucked up when you were young and stupid, you have even less of a chance to make something of yourself. interesting policy, although i'm not surprised....anyway you look at it in this world, if you're down, there's no way but down....if you're up, no way but up....whether money-wise, education wise, whatever.

Originally posted by dr0ne

so basically, if you fucked up when you were young and stupid, you have even less of a chance to make something of yourself. interesting policy, although i'm not surprised....

Well put, ed. i would have been affected by this law if it wasn't for stupid technicalities... without student loans i never would have made it through my first year in the phd program...

the HEA goes against what logic dictates would be giving help to the people that need it the most. i highly recommend taking action against it!

peaz,

rob

Originally posted by dr0ne

so basically, if you fucked up when you were young and stupid, you have even less of a chance to make something of yourself. interesting policy, although i'm not surprised....anyway you look at it in this world, if you're down, there's no way but down....if you're up, no way but up....whether money-wise, education wise, whatever.

EXACTLY

I guess the gov't wants to make sure that "drug dealers" can't get their MBA's or other degress and be able to set up more effective distribution networks and stuff :aright:

OT: can i get some financial aid...just because? I could really use some dough....