Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Second major takedown of NYC clubs?

Guys, everyone though the problem was Adof Gulliani but he's gone and the problem remains. Someone, or a group of people are working behind the scene to get NYC clubs to shut down, the police only take orders.

In a Village Voice article of a few months back, some of these people are exposed and their methods used to get rival clubs to close down using out of date "Cabaret" laws and getting the police to do their dirty work.

Check it out here:

http://bbs.media-unyc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9198

I feel the only way to stop this madness is to go after the hidden forces that are pushing these phony drug raids and stopping people from having a good time.

it's going to happen regardless of what we do.

Guiliani did lots of good things for NYC. Unfortunately for us, "cleaning up the city" meant attacking ALL undesireable elements, including us clubbers standing on line at 4am.

Bloomberg is a completely different guy. Where guiliani was a leader, bloomberg is a control freak and a psychopath. I have no doubt in my mind that if the polls allowed it, he would shut down every club in NYC and turn them into banquet halls.

Damn, every person should be allowed their vices and what better city to house those vices in than NYC?

besides, it's ironic that music is about coming together, tolerance and having a good time... meanwhile people on the outside world view it as sin, evil and something to be swept under the rug.

Originally posted by cesarleo

Nestor........ahh a name I haven't seen in these parts in quite some time.;)

Yeah, I've been doing my thing. When I first heard Exit and SF were closed down, I thought of this place. Read that Village Voice article. It has what I think is the answer to why the clubs scene is so poor in this city now. There are vested money interests ruining it for everyone else. Problem is they hide behind the police and the fear about drugs.

Originally posted by Nestor

Yeah, I've been doing my thing. When I first heard Exit and SF were closed down, I thought of this place. Read that Village Voice article. It has what I think is the answer to why the clubs scene is so poor in this city now. There are vested money interests ruining it for everyone else. Problem is they hide behind the police and the fear about drugs.

exactly.. i was just talking to msoprano about this last nite..

i was saying how interesting it is that these two get shut, and crobar is only how long off in the distance.... wouldnt' surprise me if they were connected.. all about the shit that goes on behind the scenes..

good to see ya round here nestor :)

Here's an interesting quote from that article:

But the nightlife industry's sole voice, the New York Nightlife Association (NYNA), the only organization that has any real power with community boards, City Council members, and other politicians, is not in favor of repealing the law.

If the NYNA is openly opposed to repealing the cabarte laws, which are racist in nature when they were passed, then I wouldn't put it past them to make enough noise with the cops to get their competitors shut down. Either them or another group of owners that contriubuting $$ to certain politians. Dig around people, this problem may be easier to solve than you think.

Thanks! Nice to be back ;)

did ya make it to the be yourself 4 year last week?

danny played great.. not sure how much you would have liked earlier in the nite, but around 11 he started playing real deep and it was fantastic.. morillo was out there w/ us singing and getting down!

Originally posted by cintron

Damn, every person should be allowed their vices and what better city to house those vices in than NYC?

besides, it's ironic that music is about coming together, tolerance and having a good time... meanwhile people on the outside world view it as sin, evil and something to be swept under the rug.

Not to play devil's advocate, but I do remember late nights at Exit, on the dancfloor,seeing tons of kids sitting in my dance space, all k'd out and digusting. Same thing with factory. It's obvious that many were NOT there for the music.

It's one thing to handle your drugs responsibly and it's another thing to be messy and blatanly open with it.

I think both clubs got what they deserved.

-iliana

:)

Hey ladys and gentlemen,

Not for nothin but the main reason these clubs were taken down is for the same reason all the clubs are constantly raided and looked at so closely, I mean don't get me wrong I hit the joint here and there..and occasional delusional medication, but leave it out of the damn clubs.. we may only have to blame ourselves for this one..not the political aspects of it all..pretty sure that dosen't make anything any easier..but why do we have to keep given these dead heads a reason to take our nightlife down..

NYC nightlife definitly keeps getting f**cked by our government, but then again they are just doing a job..

later...

PS-- don't hate me for speakin the truth...ahhhhhhhhh

:laugh::blown:

If you think about it, the drugs are the problem because kids on drugs don't buy drinks at NYNA bars, lounges and clubs. Who wants to go and spend 40, 50 or even 60$ on drinks when you can be straight on a 25$ hit of whatever.

I say, boycott all NYNA clubs, lounges and bars. Send a message to Rubin and these people not to fuck around with big clubs, they'll end up loosing in the end if you guys moblize and wake everybody up.

I know its bad that kids end up on the floor all k'ed up, but 90% of the kids don't do that. It's easy to point the finger at these kids. What you're seeing is the exception to the rule, and with enough awareness, even the extreme cases can go away. But the enemy of nightlife are the political shills that are taking the orders from those that have the most to gain from having big clubs closed down.

Same thing with this stupid war on Iraq. The entire world knows that Colin Powell used plagiarized "evidence" some from a grad student in 1991! This is a major scandal in the U.K. but the corporate U.S. media are only pushing the "Orange Alert" story in order to deflect attention from the manufactured Powell report. Israel and big oil are pushing this war; it's a war of deception. Read all about it:

http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/

http://www.fromthewilderness.com/

Originally posted by breakbeatz2

um..... i think someone has watched conspiracy theory a few too many times....

Yeah, that's the usual knee jerk reaction. Read! Read! Read! Reading is fundaMENTAL. CNN, ABC, CBS and NBC are all owned by big business and in NBC's case owner G.E. (major defense contractor) has vesting interest NOT to tell you the truth and pushing for war. Do some research yourself, you'll find all the facts.

anyone in anything has an interest and an agenda. so in any issue all parties have a reason to do what they do. bush's govt has their reasons, news networks have their reasons, russia and europe has their reasons

and YOU have YOUR reasons

its not a conspiracy to pull the wool over the public's eyes, its a bunch of interested parties each trying to get things to go their way.

Originally posted by PFloyd40

exactly.. i was just talking to msoprano about this last nite..

i was saying how interesting it is that these two get shut, and crobar is only how long off in the distance.... wouldnt' surprise me if they were connected.. all about the shit that goes on behind the scenes..

good to see ya round here nestor :)

This is exactly what I think that Exit did to Tunnel.

Tunnel's closing (the raid) was like 3 weeks before Exit's opening, and it kept on getting closed, false reports of rape, etc and by the time there was another party there, Exit had Baez and the whole crowd.

I would not be shocked at all if that were the case here.

the situation has really gone out of control and in my opinion bloomberg is a fucking moron --

since a legal age to drink is 21 so obiously for someone who's not 21 it's much easier to get drug of choice then trying to buy alcohol

yeah i understand it wouldn't solve the problem completely but at least it would minimize it to some level

Originally posted by bassboy

This is exactly what I think that Exit did to Tunnel.

Tunnel's closing (the raid) was like 3 weeks before Exit's opening, and it kept on getting closed, false reports of rape, etc and by the time there was another party there, Exit had Baez and the whole crowd.

I would not be shocked at all if that were the case here.

Yep! NYNA (New York Nightclub Association). I think there is more here than just a few raids. We need to identify who is benefiting from this and boycott their asses.

Originally posted by real5

the situation has really gone out of control and in my opinion bloomberg is a fucking moron --

since a legal age to drink is 21 so obiously for someone who's not 21 it's much easier to get drug of choice then trying to buy alcohol

yeah i understand it wouldn't solve the problem completely but at least it would minimize it to some level

Gooliani, Bloombug, it makes no difference. You have to see who is supporting these idiots politcally and boycott them. Let's form an organization, write letters and mobilize to bring these idiots down. They are expecting us to point the fingers at the drugs, ourselves and the Mayor. That's a BIG mistake. Who's with me?

I must agree Factory and exit both got what they deserved. The drug use was too much and all of the crackheads out there ruined it for the rest of us. Sound Factory used to be a great place go. People used to dance and have fun. Drugs are always going ot be in the clubs but they shouldn't be out in the open like thye are now. It is disgusting. I am so sick and tired of going out and seeing people getting taken out by security and ambulances. The only place i have been to lately where it is not so obvious is Arc. Arc is the only place that I actually look forward to . Music is good vibe is good. Drugs destroy our good times. Why can't people just be responsible with them? remeber moderation....be private everyone does not need to know that you are wasted we don't need to see what you are doing and frakly we don't want to see it

Arc will be next if those greedy businessmen paying off political leaders behind the scene aren't stopped. When Arc was Vinyl, it was one of the first clubs hit. Drug use was practically non-existent but they got closed down anyway. It's only a matter of time till they get Arc too.

I agree, the obvious crack-headed kids look awful. But they are not the only reason why a certain few want most of the clubs in the city to be closed down. Let's mobilize and fight back!

Arc will be next if those greedy businessmen paying off political leaders behind the scene aren't stopped. When Arc was Vinyl, it was one of the first clubs hit. Drug use was practically non-existent but they got closed down anyway. It's only a matter of time till they get Arc too.

I agree, the obvious crack-headed kids look awful. But they are not the only reason why a certain few want most of the clubs in the city to be closed down. Let's mobilize and fight back!

I'm pissed off to, but how exactly does one fight back? who would we be fighting against...?

Originally posted by dirtyepic18

I'm pissed off to, but how exactly does one fight back? who would we be fighting against...?

I'm almost positive this "drug crusade" has more to do with the NYNA then public safety. I can't stress this enough, read that article, it names names. Although the article is about the cabaret laws, these people have pull with the mayor’s office. Do you understand that Exit had close to 3k people a night and S.F. about 1.5k? That's 4.5K people that will be forced to go to other clubs, bars and lounges owned by members of the NYNA. There is big money at stake. They gain (NYNA); you loose your favorite space. We need to dig and see who is benefiting and boycott that club(s), lounge(s) and bar(s).

This most definitely has a paper trail. Some of us need to follow up on it.

i hate to see a club where tons of people go to have a good time and release from the everyday stresses of life . . .but lets be honest and take some responsibilty for those who sell and use drugs in the club . . .if those people weren't there the club would not get raided THERE WOULD BE NO REASON TOO!!!. . if u want to use that is ur choice . . .pop a pill in your home turn on some music and get fucked up if you chose

but i think the problem with our society is no one takes responsibilty for themselves or actions . . the blatant dealers and users are the ones who have the clubs shut down . . .

just my 2 cents

nyna.org

i took a look at hte list of participants for some nyna and ny cares fundraiser or something. Most of the venues on hte lsit really have no worry about fucking over other venues t oget a few more peeps. For example, bungalow 8 would not benefit.

the paper trail, if any, is probably much more complicated