Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Holy SHIT - KTU just played...

Originally posted by vixenfoxxy

I'm not sure if I should be excited about this as a glimmer of hope for an improved KTU, or if I should remove that record from my collection right now and burn it before it becomes the next dark beat :hey:

...i vote the latter...

Originally posted by vixenfoxxy

Cassius - The Sound of Violence

:jawdrop:

I'm not sure if I should be excited about this as a glimmer of hope for an improved KTU, or if I should remove that record from my collection right now and burn it before it becomes the next dark beat :hey:

theve been playing it for at least 2 weeks

If I like a song I don't throw it in the garbage if KTU or any other radio station is playing it. Some people live in an UNDERGROUND WORLD and don't want anything to be cool or popular outside of their group or circle! Who cares if KTU Playing it, are the Music Police gonna come to your house and stamp the "NOT COOL" stamp on your forehead if you still like it.

So anyway if you like something, who cares what the "IN CROWD's" take is on it, or the majoritys or minoritys opinion! It only matters what you think about it!

Originally posted by mattm2o

If I like a song I don't throw it in the garbage if KTU or any other radio station is playing it. Some people live in an UNDERGROUND WORLD and don't want anything to be cool or popular outside of their group or circle! Who cares if KTU Playing it, are the Music Police gonna come to your house and stamp the "NOT COOL" stamp on your forehead if you still like it.

So anyway if you like something, who cares what the "IN CROWD's" take is on it, or the majoritys or minoritys opinion! It only matters what you think about it!

It's not even that - it's just that I can see it getting so played out I won't even *want* to listen to it anymore. Like, if KTU was playing this now - and also picked up a whole lot of other tracks that can fall into the not-lasgo-and-jana category, then they'd be going in the right direction and they could play a variety, therefore less likely playing the tracks out. But instead they pick just one good track and play it over and over and over and over and over and over and over again until you can't bear to listen again. *shakes head* Can't the radio here take some cues from the radio in the UK?

Highmay - So glad I could be of service :aright: p.s. KTU was only on while I changed CD's but I was astonished enough to listen when they put Cassius on. Mind you, if you ever need to barf, please call me, and I'd be happy to help :vomit2:

are the Music Police gonna come to your house and stamp the "NOT COOL" stamp on your forehead if you still like it.

Yes they will if you hang out with a lot of friends who are also local DJ's, like I do.

Go ahead and pull Iio - Rapture out of your crate when everybody's over and you're having a party. you will see faces drop, people will turn away from the speaker and mutter things that you're better off not hearing.

Some will silently filter towards the door leaving you as the outcast 'cheese dj' who singlehandedly brought the filth of the commercial atmosphere into the sanctity of a good underground sound ;)

it really does happen.

after a track hits the radio, for any DJ that's worth a damn (unless they're playing at a college bar or something), that means "RETIRE IT."

Originally posted by cintron

Yes they will if you hang out with a lot of friends who are also local DJ's, like I do.

Go ahead and pull Iio - Rapture out of your crate when everybody's over and you're having a party. you will see faces drop, people will turn away from the speaker and mutter things that you're better off not hearing.

Some will silently filter towards the door leaving you as the outcast 'cheese dj' who singlehandedly brought the filth of the commercial atmosphere into the sanctity of a good underground sound ;)

it really does happen.

after a track hits the radio, for any DJ that's worth a damn (unless they're playing at a college bar or something), that means "RETIRE IT."

cintron, i agree with you but usually by the time a song like that hits mainstream radio, DJ's (Myself included) have usually moved on to a new song to take that ones place anyway! So yes your right about the bar DJ thing.

My other take on that is that Steve Lawler a WORLD RENOUND dj played Dark Beat in the middle of his set at Arc a short while ago long after it was given "Cheese" status by us here in NY! And I didn't see anyone run for the doors or see anyone fall on the floor gagging.

It's the eternal paradox - we want the underground music on the radio so that it's accessible and receives its proper due....but if we hear it on the radio, more specifically on a station we think is "commercial", we want to go running to our collection to throw the record out...knowing it's going to be given a premature death over the same airways we wish to rule....

The industry is taking a grave turn with recent events...we will never achieve what europe has in terms of integrating club culture into lifestyle...albeit clothing, radio, etc...

BUT

we still have to try...you say, i cant believe they played it...i say good for ktu....if we stop trying...if we stop believing then all will be lost...and you might as well bring back eight tracks and the osmonds...

*hides his Osmond and Carpenters eight tracks*

cintron, i agree with you but usually by the time a song like that hits mainstream radio, DJ's (Myself included) have usually moved on to a new song to take that ones place anyway! So yes your right about the bar DJ thing.

My other take on that is that Steve Lawler a WORLD RENOUND dj played Dark Beat in the middle of his set at Arc a short while ago long after it was given "Cheese" status by us here in NY! And I didn't see anyone run for the doors or see anyone fall on the floor gagging.

That's because we're polite New Yorkers and gag discreetly. :aright:

As for this whole Cassius business...I don't see why it's such a big shock. Unless I'm seriously mistaken, this is a pretty vocal oriented track, funky disco influenced basslines. This equates to...*drumroll*...pop appeal! What's the big surprise that KTU is playing it?

And don't burn anything. If the track plays itself out, then so be it. KTU exposure might "attract the clueless and offend the hardcore", but the track quality itself will be the determining factor in what kind of status it received down the line. Take the last two "big " underground hits that ported to KTU (maybe not the most recent, but they're recent enough), Touch Me and Rapture. I can honestly say now that Touch Me is still a good track. Meanwhile, I thought Rapture got stale quick, "the track that never hits climax" as my friend called it, but I digress.

KTU isn't doing anything new. Just hold on to that record and forget about it's "radio" status.

Originally posted by phatman

It's the eternal paradox - we want the underground music on the radio so that it's accessible and receives its proper due....but if we hear it on the radio, more specifically on a station we think is "commercial", we want to go running to our collection to throw the record out...knowing it's going to be given a premature death over the same airways we wish to rule....

The industry is taking a grave turn with recent events...we will never achieve what europe has in terms of integrating club culture into lifestyle...albeit clothing, radio, etc...

Well like I said before - I'm not really sure WHAT to think of this because while I would love to see the radio play good music, I am afraid they're not going to go all the way, and just play OUT the good music. I don't see why we can't eventually move toward radio more like the UK has. Not right away, but eventually.

And looking at dark beat and cassius - i feel like these two songs are far less cheesy commercial than what usually shows up on KTU (jocelyn enriquez, jana, dj sammy, lasgo, the works, not to mention the hip hop). So it may be a step in the right direction.

As for immediately throwing out records when they reach the radio - if it was on a radio station like radio one or something, i wouldn't even worry about it. If it was one of many selections from many artists who all produce what is meant to be underground music (whether vocal, tribal, progressive, breaks, whatever), it would be fine. But KTU has a bad rep... and hasnt' done much to get rid of that, so I'm not really thrilled. It appears to be the next track of choice to play until the vinyl wears thin and that means that I don't want much to do with it anymore. Will I stop liking it? nah.. Will I refuse to play it ever ever again? nah... i'm sure it will show up in my practice sets in my basement, but I don't want to be what cintron described up there, 'cause that isn't me - so it just won't be played out anymore (at least I've had it a long time and got my $7 worth out of it!)