Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Sound proofing

donnie

the lady that lives below me is about ready to call the cops. she is the only one in my building taht complained cuase these floors sux the vibration goes straigth threw. since its just the lady below me i was thinkin of slappin on some sound proof foam on the floor then puttin tiles or a area carpet over it. Anyone know if that will solve the problem. if so anyone know what type of sound proofing foam out there is good to use. thanx in advance CP.

I think you can get foams at Sam Ash stores right ?

If you want to spend some $$$ and seriosuly float your floors - you should look in magazines - they got companies that do that shit.

But unless you're buliding a professional studio - I wouldn;t spend that much

You can put bass traps in your corners ..that might help

like someone said, mad$$, cork is a cheap, somewhat effective substitute. sweetwater.com has the pro stuff. just doing the floor wont cut it though. sound vibrates the walls and everything else. there is a science to it so that you dont have to insulate your whole pad. if you get pro advice or do some research you can figure out how the sound travels so you can figure out where to strategically place sound baffles to dampen the noise. i have the said catalogue and it gives a brief insight into how this is done. some searches on the web may yield some results too.

50-100 bux will get you a nice fukin pair of headphones.. 100-200 bux will get you a nice pair of cordless headphones.. can make the shit as loud as you want, hey sometimes you gotta make compromises, works for me in this shitty cardboard thin walls/floor apartment..

Originally posted by donnie

the lady that lives below me is about ready to call the cops. she is the only one in my building taht complained cuase these floors sux the vibration goes straigth threw. since its just the lady below me i was thinkin of slappin on some sound proof foam on the floor then puttin tiles or a area carpet over it. Anyone know if that will solve the problem. if so anyone know what type of sound proofing foam out there is good to use. thanx in advance CP.

unless you:

1. do this professionally where its part of your job and you get paid to do it or;

2. you're extremely, extremely fucking rich.

i say it's absolutely not worth sound proofing your room because some lady is pissed. it's better for you to go find a new place instead where people don't mind noise, or just not give a fuck until she tries to evict you which would take months and months, and i don't think i've ever heard of anyone who's gotten evicted because of loud music.

sound proofing foam won't do the job....the stuff you get at guitar center for example, is used to reduce reverberation so you get a clean sound, not to prevent neighbors from hearing it. you would need to sound proof the whole room, not just the floor....the walls and ceilings also, because vibration from the walls and ceiling carry down to the floor as well. chances are your other neighbors are hearing too, but they just don't give a fuck.

to sound proof a room to the point where no one around you will hear anything, you'll need to get a professional company to do it, they'll also sound proof the windows and doors, install a foot thick layer on top of your walls, floor + ceiling....you're looking at something like 10 grand depending on the size of the room....absolutely not worth it.

if you try doing it yourself, it'll still run in the thousands since the material is expensive, and chances are it won't work too good so people will still complain.