Clubplanet Nightlife Community

cell phone

rockyblue

verizon is known to have the best coverage across the USA. i could be wrong, but i don't think they're making much progress on converting to GSM (the digital, globally accepted cell phone standard) which was one of the reasons why i didn't go with them.

initially i wanted to get a phone on the AT&T GSM network back in october, when they started rolling out their GSM coverage, but since i'm still a youn-un with no credit history, they wanted an $800 deposit.

i had heard far too many reports from sprint customers of horrible coverage and equally bad customer service, so i stayed away from them.

finally i decided on t-mobile: their GSM coverage is the best (combination of cingular and voicestream's coverage) and they had the phone i wanted (Samsung S105). also the plan i got is a good deal, $40/month for 600 anytime, free N&W (from 9pm weekdays, which blows compared to the european definition of "nights" - usually 6pm), and 50 texts.

amazon has good prices AFTER rebate, but initially u end up spending $200+ and there's no guarantee you'll get that rebate. what i did was print out the product page on amazon and took it to the 3 different t-mobile stores downtown and tried to get them to pricematch it. the one at 15th+H offered me the best deal, $135 for the phone BEFORE the t-mobile $50 rebate so i ended up paying $35 more than if i had ordered it online, but had a lot less money tied up in rebates. also, its a lot easier to return a phone or cancel your plan if u can just take it back to the t-mobile store.

btw, if u aren't picky about what phone u get and aren't planning on using it outside of this country, there's no point in worrying about getting a GSM phone over TDMA. i wanted GSM cuz i have friends + family in europe, so when i visit i can still use my cell phone. t-mobile also gave me an unlock code for my S105 just 3 weeks after i bought it, so when i do go to europe i can just buy a sim card package there and put in my phone and have a local number with local call rates. i don't know of any other provider that will give u the unlock code for your phone.

also, i haven't had any problems with t-mobile coverage in DC. if i manually switch the network to AT&T though, signal gets very WEAK.

I have Verizon, and I'm very happy with it!!!

My home calling area is the hole US so I don't have to worry about roaming calls. And now that I'm going down to WMC I can call my friends uo in DC that are not going to tell how much fun I'll be having!

Can you hear me now?

:rofl:

YOU WILL GET SPRINT, AND THAT IS IT!!!!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

i dunno well actually, i've come to the conclusion that overall all cell phone providers suck. you might get lucky and choose one and have no problem at all in forever, or you may get screwed and get crappy service with all of them.

my advice: check out the plans, see what fits your needs and go with that. if you dant have any problems stick with that one. if you have problems change providers.

Originally posted by vicman

i dunno well actually, i've come to the conclusion that overall all cell phone providers suck. you might get lucky and choose one and have no problem at all in forever, or you may get screwed and get crappy service with all of them.

my advice: check out the plans, see what fits your needs and go with that. if you dant have any problems stick with that one. if you have problems change providers.

seriously dude, stop recycling my posts and trying to pass them off as your own. :rolleyes:

post whore! :laugh:

Sprint works fine for me, Vegas, Miami, Philly, Mountains of North Carolina, NY, never had any major problems. Just make sure it is Dual Band, meaning it is Analog and Digital, then it will work most places. Also the wireless web is actually pretty decent too, very easy to check email from it. The one time a year I ride the Metro it works for me, elevators, even on the Cape May ferry it worked. Wow I'm really starting to like this Sprint person...........

Guest jroo

i was just talking about this the other day, on how everyone hates sprint. ive had them for like 5 years. and have had no problems, yeah sure they just charged me an extra $150 to my account this pay period. but i called them, and they fixed it right away, took less than 5 mins. they charged me extra money for cancelling service. the best thing about sprint is that its basically nationwide, they work everywhere, and now you can get free internet too. its definately the way to go. or go with nextel and its two way radio feature. but then other people you know have to have it. also sprint has pcs to pcs calling so that who ever you call that has sprint its free, that cost's like 10 bucks a month extra. anyway, so much to choose from. i vote sprint.