Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Sad, sad news.......

Guest brwneydtrouble

Guest brwneydtrouble

Sadly, I have just had to part with my beloved S2000, as I just couldn't afford the $620 a month car payment any more, not to mention the insurance at $2200 every six months.

I have decided that I should get a little car, that I can fix up nicely and not have any car payments. After being spoiled by the S, my tastes have become a little particular. After narrowing down the pros and cons of several different cars, I have come up with a good one. (I think. :D)

A 240SX, year 94-95. I have seen a few really good ones on the market down here from $2800 to a little over $5000. Of course, I hope to convert it into a Silvia.

Problem is, that other than a few well known facts, I really don't know squat about the car, having been immersed in JDM this, Mugen and Spoon that...

So I would appreciate any and all help/info so I can make a good decision on what I should look for before I buy the car. Also, if anyone knows of any Nissan/240SX/Silvia Forums.

I thank you all in advance. :D

Oh, and now that dream of having the new CBR 600RR is much closer to being a reality once I no longer have a car payment, YIPPEEE!!!!!!

Guest brwneydtrouble
Originally posted by somebitch

:eek: wow you could lease just about any car for 620 a month!! why the fuck would you pay 620 a month for a honda?!?!?!?

Basically cause i am retarded. But really, I love that car, I have driven just about everything else out there and I still liked my car better. If I really hustled, I might be able to afford it, but I don't really want to work just for my car anymore. After a year of doing that, I am drained. Even oil changes were a mission. Five quarts of Mobil One 15W50 aint cheap. Even if your Honda tech ex bf did it for you for free....

In the long run, its better that I bought instead of leased, I put over 25K miles on that car in less than 8 months, good thing it was a 2000 with only 4600 miles on it. :D

Hey babe ;)

well... I think a 240sx is is a great idea. the S14 bodystyle is one of the most graceful i've seen. The previous S13 is capable, but looks a litttle rickety and primitive.

As for motor swaps :) welcome to the real world, honey ;)

The S14 SR20DET swap actually works rather well, mechanically speaking. The electrical hookup is the nightmare from what i can remember. All sorts of wires that must be connected properly and such. Your best bet for a swap would be buying a front clip and swapping the parts out of that. You'll need more than just the engine/tranny/ecu so that's your best bet. Clips go from between 2-5k depending on type, condition and year. I'd gamble a 240 clip would float somewhere in the range of 3k.

www.240sx.org could get you started in the right direction. Awesome choice of car ;) the rear differential and chassis are capable of holding large amounts of power, but in order not to compete with the 300zx, nissan kept the engine relatively mild from the factory. Still, the KA24DE packs a punch, esp. with a turbokit.

Other cars to consider are second gen MR2's (shameless plug, I know), Eclipses (don't hit me!), FC gen RX7's (2nd Gen) and even naturally aspirated 300zx's, or whatnot. I take it you still want something sporty ;)

best of luck... i'd so drive to florida to help you wrench on something, just to enjoy the weather.

more links:

S13 buildup:

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/0205scc_silvia/index.html

S14 buildup:

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/0211scc_projsilvia/index.html

take me on a ride on that bike ;)

Guest brwneydtrouble

Thanks Cintron, JoeG told me that you would be the one to give me the best info. While I do my homework and read up on the car, I would like to get a few of my contacts looking for a car. Which model do you think would be the best base to start with? As in year, model....... S13/S14 is greek to me. We aren't talking B18's and F20C's here. *lol*

Engine/front clip will more than likely be replaced eventually. I have friends that have a performance shop that specialize in Hondas and Nissans, and though I am sure they will have an opinion, I would like to hear more than one naturally.

I like the 2nd gen MR2, but I know even less about Toyota, and I have always liked the lines on the 240, which is somewhat similar to the MX-6 that I used to have. (Never should have gotten rid if it!!) Eclipse, no. VERY common here, and still surprisingly expensive for the GST, as I really wouldn't want any other. Forget about finding a GSX.

Because I will be saving SO much more money with this, I will more than likely be in the market to buy in a month or so, you are more than welcome to come down, go shopping with me, and enjoy the weather!!

And about the bike, I will have the seat cowl, so no rides. ;) Besides, being a midget, I don't think that I could handle someone on the back of my bike anyways. :D

Guest brwneydtrouble
Originally posted by bigpoppanils

be careful though....240's are terrible in the rain

still an oddball choice....which gets a thumbs up from me (former SVX owner) :aright:

My S was AWFUL in the rain, I did a total of 5 360's during the 2 times I hydroplaned.

Why an oddball choice?

Originally posted by somebitch

lol it is hot when u talk cars. ;)

;) it's hot when you listen and respond positively.

and miss trouble, thanks :) hehe. I'm a car dork - it's what i do on my spare time ;) hell, i'd love to wrench away just for the fun of it.

okay... lil' import history lesson:

S13's are what many people call the 1989-1994 240sx. In japan it is known as the "Silvia", with slightly different visual cues and a more badass motor.

This is the "S13", aka the 89-94 240sx. It comes in Convertible, Coupe and Hatchback formats, though convertibles don't have a 5-spd availablle and coupes are a few lbs lighter than the hatchback. You can find one of these for relatively cheap with a blown motor, if you're looking to do an engine swap. This gen has the most available parts in the US (japan shops cater more to the S14 and S15 - more on those later) and a strong chassis/drivetrain.

DSC00100.JPG

The S14 is the 95-98? 240sx. I can't remember what year they were last produced here. Anyways, they too come with the KA24DE engine, which is a 2.4L truck engine basically. Torquey, but not rev-happy. There are many parts available for them as well, but in order to find the true goodies you'll probably need to do shopping and research. www.takakaira.com has an interesting parts list for em. (check out the Ikeya Sequential Shifter;))

Chassis is stronger than the S13 and also larger and heavier. Drivetrain remains 400rwhp capable as in the previous gen. This generation is more of a true Grand Tourismo-style car, with a long wheelbase and fat-rubber capable of holding a racetrack. they also have that Skyline-style "big mouth" front to them. Indeed, the chassis is similar to the skyline. Jspec S14's use the SR20DET, as the S13 did, but the engine was revised to boost output. Basic format remains a 2.0L turbo inline four, with a Garrett T25 providing boost. I know the SR20DET drops into the S13, so it should drop into the S14, since both KA24DE and SR20DET engines share the same engine mounts. like I said, mechanically simple, electrically complex. ;)

tibbetts%2Ejpg

the S15 is possibily the most famous of all these generations, with more angular front signal lights than the S14. These would be later model S14's, probably past 97. You'll know one when you see one. The headlights look like an angry tiger's eyes. ;)

231804%5F21%5Ffull%2Ejpg

About all the generations, engine designations, etc, don't worry, you'll learn the lingo. Best thing to do would be join a car board with lots of 240sx owners. It's a good way to learn the ropes and ask all the questions about engine swaps, S13's, S14's and S15's and all that other stuff :) Things that make the 240sx easy is that they share lots of other Nissan and Infiniti parts, some in common with the 300zx, some in common with the skyline. It's a good choice, i'd say.

I'm reluctant to tell you about MR2's now, since I already blabbed enough about the damn Silvia!

about the bike... choosing that rear seat cowl is the best way to go ;) passengers suck. I'm saving for a Yamaha R6, so does that make us natural rivals?

i don't see it as oddball, just overlooked...

everyone always clings to the 300zx flagship of the 90's nissans... but its little brother 240sx isn't really that little... and people have done great things with the silvia (jdm version) in japan...

in the US, catchy buzzwords like "TWIN TURBO" sell cars... but anyone who knows anything about turbos will tell you 1 big turbo (especially ballbearing) is MUCH better than 2 small turbos... thats why most of the serious supra guys get a t-77 or something along those lines... (ie. 1 huge turbo)

not to knock the 300zx... but pound for pound, the silvia is better, IMO...

Originally posted by joeg

much as i love the Z, i agree. The Z is heavy as hell and it's not very fast for the power output it has. PLus have you ever looked under a tt Z's hood?! :eek: nightmare...

the 240sx is big, simple and cheap comparatively. Plus they have that "skyline-style" flat front end that just LOVES big front mount intercoolers ;)

i don't see it as oddball, just overlooked...

everyone always clings to the 300zx flagship of the 90's nissans... but its little brother 240sx isn't really that little... and people have done great things with the silvia (jdm version) in japan...

in the US, catchy buzzwords like "TWIN TURBO" sell cars... but anyone who knows anything about turbos will tell you 1 big turbo (especially ballbearing) is MUCH better than 2 small turbos... thats why most of the serious supra guys get a t-77 or something along those lines... (ie. 1 huge turbo)

are you crazy?

there is this one supra that was 800HP single turbo... imagine if he had 2 turbos... 1600HP.... thats amazing...

btw not to knock on nissan, but there is a 1200hp saturn, rotory, twin turbo vtec... its very fast..

Guest brwneydtrouble

Did you hear about that 1600 HP TT Celica (new style) that was on the cover of Import Tuner or Turbo mag? Thats sick.

Originally posted by atomicapples

are you crazy?

there is this one supra that was 800HP single turbo... imagine if he had 2 turbos... 1600HP.... thats amazing...

btw not to knock on nissan, but there is a 1200hp saturn, rotory, twin turbo vtec... its very fast..

i hope you're kidding about 2 turbos equaling double the power...

Originally posted by cintron

2 really really BIG turbos :D

yeah, but then the lag will be tremendous which defeats the purpose of twin turbos...

the idea is that twin turbos are smaller, thus spool faster...

but if you setup 2 big turbos, you're spooling each of them with half your cylinders, not all of them... so you're not gaining anything.... not to mention the rediculous fuel system you'd need for that... which isn't worth it....

again... this is why all the serious supra guys convert from 2 to 1...

yeah, but then the lag will be tremendous which defeats the purpose of twin turbos...

the idea is that twin turbos are smaller, thus spool faster...

but if you setup 2 big turbos, you're spooling each of them with half your cylinders, not all of them... so you're not gaining anything.... not to mention the rediculous fuel system you'd need for that... which isn't worth it....

again... this is why all the serious supra guys convert from 2 to 1...

well there are plenty of ways to set up your turbos ;)

sequential activates one after another.

"true" twin turbos are powered by half the cylinders.

you can also have compound turbocharging and/or supercharging ;) plenty of ways to make stuff work.

I personally vote for the VATN turbos. no wastegate needed, lag minimal ;)

Originally posted by cintron

well there are plenty of ways to set up your turbos ;)

sequential activates one after another.

"true" twin turbos are powered by half the cylinders.

you can also have compound turbocharging and/or supercharging ;) plenty of ways to make stuff work.

I personally vote for the VATN turbos. no wastegate needed, lag minimal ;)

oh, definately... sequential turbos are pretty nice... i was just assuming we were talking about "true" twin turbos...

from what i've read super+turbo charging isn't worth all the time/money/weight/fabrication... if you really wanted to eliminate lag, sequential would be a good idea... but 1 really well made turbo will usually do the job...

600CFM ball bearing turbos will spool at like 2800 on a 2.0L engine... with a decent exhaust and no other tweaking... if you start tweaking for lag reduction... you can get that down to like 2000.... on a bigger engine, the lag would be neglagable...

i know the guys who go with the 4g63/4 hybrid setup (2.4L) have enough torque and quicker spool that it makes for a real nice setup... so i'd imagine if you had 6 cylinders and 3+ liters... you'd be satisfied for even some of the most insane setups...

but where theres a will and a wallet, theres always another way... ;)

lol... i just swapped in a I10 decaturbo rotary-vtec-spoon engine with a 500hp tuned port wet nitrous injection and an intake manifold thats actually a living organism that increases its runner size as the engine revs to create quicker spooling... and has 10 individual throttle bodies and the entire hood is one giant k&n filter....

oh, and i put HID lights in my brake/reverse/ lights... ;)

Sorry to hear....

Here is a list of cars that i'd look into:

93-98 Supra TT

last gen RX-7

2g Eclipse GSX

Older M3

last gen MR2

and of course... 86-89 Porsche 944 Turbo

:idea:

U can get any of those cars up over 300(crank)hp fairly easily which will definetely put a smile on your face. As far as handling goes i'd say nothing in stock form will be close to the S2000, but a few mods never hurt anyone.

Also think about reliability and rebuilds. Do you have money to spend on repairs, would this be your primary car?