Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Patrick Ewing

ewing sucks. he had horrible horrible feet, horrible ball handling skills, grotesque moves to the basket, no turn around game, weak overall defense. only thing that saved his career was the fact he had a decent jump shot, and he could sometimes block shots. his game is so weak when u compare it to guys of his era like hakeem and the admiral. shaq would have a field day on him. u take a 7 footer like dirk, whose got the complete package, and ewing seems just so plain and boring which i feel he was anyway.

Originally posted by FlipsSOE

ewing sucks. he had horrible horrible feet, horrible ball handling skills, grotesque moves to the basket, no turn around game, weak overall defense. only thing that saved his career was the fact he had a decent jump shot, and he could sometimes block shots. his game is so weak when u compare it to guys of his era like hakeem and the admiral. shaq would have a field day on him. u take a 7 footer like dirk, whose got the complete package, and ewing seems just so plain and boring which i feel he was anyway.

Well, other than the barrage of attacks and retorts to your inane comment, here are Pat Ewings career stats, which in my opinion speak for themselves:

STAT -----------TOTAL NBA--RANK

Minutes --------40,594 --13th

Points---------- 24,815-- 13th

Field Goals Made 9,702- 10th

Free Throws Made 5,392 18th

Blocks----------- 2,894---- 4th

And Dirk's got talent, but you can't compare him to Ewing right now. It's way too early

Originally posted by gmccookny

I am no Ewing fan, but I gotta give the guy credit.. he has great stats, so I can't knock the man.

Lola:eek:

Originally posted by gmccookny

Well, other than the barrage of attacks and retorts to your inane comment, here are Pat Ewings career stats, which in my opinion speak for themselves:

And Dirk's got talent, but you can't compare him to Ewing right now. It's way too early

ok, since you obviously love to talk numbers, lets talk..... 0 rings, 0 mvp's, 0 all star mvp's, 0 finals mvp's, 0 defensive player of the year awards, not sure of the number, but has to be less than 10 career triple doubles, perhaps the most impressive stats of his, is that he probably leads the league in appearing on michael jordan posters :laugh: , my hate for him i guess should be directed towards the old knicks management. they never surrounded him with legitimate talent until late in his career. he was always stuck with mediocre players like wilkins, starks, charles smith, oakley, greg anthony, charlie ward and the list goes on. wasn't until his knees had had enough that they finally bought in real talent like houston, sprewell and kurt thomas. what a shame. ewing never had the leadership qualities nor the supporting cast to truthfully take his team all the way. how many guarantees did we hear out of this guy's mouth during his knick career?? how many did he actually deliver??

ok, since you obviously love to talk numbers, lets talk..... 0 rings, 0 mvp's, 0 all star mvp's, 0 finals mvp's, 0 defensive player of the year awards, not sure of the number, but has to be less than 10 career triple doubles, perhaps the most impressive stats of his, is that he probably leads the league in appearing on michael jordan posters :laugh: , my hate for him i guess should be directed towards the old knicks management. they never surrounded him with legitimate talent until late in his career. he was always stuck with mediocre players like wilkins, starks, charles smith, oakley, greg anthony, charlie ward and the list goes on. wasn't until his knees had had enough that they finally bought in real talent like houston, sprewell and kurt thomas. what a shame. ewing never had the leadership qualities nor the supporting cast to truthfully take his team all the way. how many guarantees did we hear out of this guy's mouth during his knick career?? how many did he actually deliver??

1st of all, it's hard to win mvp when u have some of the greatest players to be playing ball at the same time (Barkley, Bird, Magic, Hakeem, and the Great One) , so he will get pushed aside, just like either Kobe or T-Mac will get pushed aside, even though they both should win.

2nd: Lots of great players never won MVP, or a ring. It's true that his supporting cast was not that great, but don't blame Ewing.

I think your attack is totally misplaced. You can't argue with his stats nor his style. He was a rare big man to make jump shots. he had good movement away from the basket. He would draw the defense toward him.

I still think this is a no-brainer :blown:

hey ewing gave knicks fans a reason to watch basketball unlike now

and he did it for 15 years

sure he had his ups and down

but the knicks/bulls

knicks/pacers

knicks/heat rivalries were awesome

Dan marino also has no rings but he is the greates QB of all time

the only real rivalry in the NBA the past two years has been lakers kings

Yup knicks and dolphins fan here...

about knicks mgmt theyre idiots

were blessed with crappy trades

but imagine the knicks didnt pass on

amare stoudemire in the draft

and they also passed on ron artest i believe

that would mean artest,sprewell,houston,stoudamire,mcdyess

wha wha

still no pg but that looks better then the

weatherspoon,anderson,harrington crap they got

good statsindeed. but clutch vs. clutch very mediocre. besides that, he was not dislike, but not liked as well. not favored by the nyc folks like other stars, with great stats, or not even as good stats see

1-joe willie namath

2-clyde frazier

etc. the guy was just a stat, nothing to get excited about as a nyc personality

Ewing was the only thing that made Knick basketball interesting all those years. Even though he was never surrounded by a great supporting cast until he was on his way out, those Knicks would have won several titles if they weren't unfortunate enough to be playing in the same era as Jordan. Plenty of superstars have that distinction. Stockton, Malone, & Barkley come to mind off the top of my head. That doesn't mean that they weren't great players. Ewing was the best Knick center ever.

.........and ironically enough, that is where the Knicks are weakest now. I miss the big guy. and at center frooooooooom Georgetown, co caaaaptain Pat-rick Ew-ing !!!!

FlipsSOE hush yoself!!!!

atleast stockton can say he is the league's all time leader in steals and assists. malone can say he's the league 2nd all time leading scorer along with all star and reg season mvp, barkley can say he won a reg season and all star mvp as well, and besides that was one of the most charismatic personalities in the history of the NBA. ewing is just so plain, both as a player, and as a person.

atleast stockton can say he is the league's all time leader in steals and assists. malone can say he's the league 2nd all time leading scorer along with all star and reg season mvp, barkley can say he won a reg season and all star mvp as well, and besides that was one of the most charismatic personalities in the history of the NBA. ewing is just so plain, both as a player, and as a person.

u make it sound like he did nothing. He has 2 gold medals from the Olympics, he went to the finals 2x, he leads almost every category for the Knicks, stat wise.......

Ewing holds club records for most seasons (15), games (1,039), points (23,665), minutes (37,586), field goals (9,260), attempts (18,224), free throws made (5,126) and attempted (6,904), rebounds (10,759), steals (1,061), blocks (2,758), 40-point games (30) and All-Star selections (11).

He had a .504 career shooting avg.

Ewing led Georgetown to the 1982 National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) championship game. In 1983-1984 season, the team won the NCAA championship for the first time, and Ewing was named the tournament's most valuable player. That summer he played on the U.S. Olympic basketball team, that won the gold medal. The following year, when Georgetown again reached the NCAA finals, the National Association of Basketball Coaches named Ewing the college player of the year. Ewing is the Hoyas' all-time leading shot blocker and rebounder, and second on their scoring list. After averaging 20 points and 9 rebounds as a rookie, he was named to the All-Rookie First Team and Rookie Of the Year.

He holds the record for blocks in the NBA Finals (30), he was selected to the All-NBA First team, to add to 6 second team berths.

He was also selected as the president of the players association, so u know he has nothing but the highest respect from his peers.

But ur right buddy, he didn't accomplish anything.

Originally posted by mindfaqd

u make it sound like he did nothing. He has 2 gold medals from the Olympics, he went to the finals 2x, he leads almost every category for the Knicks, stat wise.......

Ewing holds club records for most seasons (15), games (1,039), points (23,665), minutes (37,586), field goals (9,260), attempts (18,224), free throws made (5,126) and attempted (6,904), rebounds (10,759), steals (1,061), blocks (2,758), 40-point games (30) and All-Star selections (11).

He had a .504 career shooting avg.

Ewing led Georgetown to the 1982 National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) championship game. In 1983-1984 season, the team won the NCAA championship for the first time, and Ewing was named the tournament's most valuable player. That summer he played on the U.S. Olympic basketball team, that won the gold medal. The following year, when Georgetown again reached the NCAA finals, the National Association of Basketball Coaches named Ewing the college player of the year. Ewing is the Hoyas' all-time leading shot blocker and rebounder, and second on their scoring list. After averaging 20 points and 9 rebounds as a rookie, he was named to the All-Rookie First Team and Rookie Of the Year.

He holds the record for blocks in the NBA Finals (30), he was selected to the All-NBA First team, to add to 6 second team berths.

He was also selected as the president of the players association, so u know he has nothing but the highest respect from his peers.

But ur right buddy, he didn't accomplish anything.

Thank you, mindF.

That made things very crystal clear :cool:

if u wanna start talking accomplishments, i can go on forever about those guys' accomplishements. but in any case, bottom line is this: ewing never delivered the ring that he constantly promised knick fans that he would. almost every year in the early 90's promised it, but yet never delivered the goods. i agree, he had a solid career, he put up good numbers, yes. but stockton and malone never promised a ring. and although barkley did, thats to be expected; he's barkley. it seems as if the only time ewing ever spoke to the media was to say how his team was going all the way and take it all. then he misses finger rolls against the pacers when he should've dunked, he got dunked on and humiliated by mj more than one can bear to watch, and once mourning came into his own, mourning started abusing him in those playoff games as well. i think if ewing would've either been more open to the media, or just kept quiet about his promises and guarantees, i wouldn't have been so let down as a fan. he let me down, and he let down many others. boo :mad: