Clubplanet Nightlife Community

john acquaviva

:eek:

he trounced james zabiela's ass this past sat night in london.

heehee, love that guy's glasses...think big thick black spec's, like the chemistry nerd in high school who wore pocket protectors.

HOWEVER, he used final scratch. bleh.

i'll prolly get attacked for that one but oh well. bring it on!

zabiela was probably still tired from WMC. zabiela is now on my top 5 of favorite djs hands down. acquaviva didnt impress me at all a couple of weeks ago at Five...or maybe it was because Sinestro killed all the vibe with his constant trainwrecks.

Originally posted by Kuro

What's your problem with final scratch?

When J A spun at FIVE a couple weeks ago all he did was stand there. He used final scratch then and he used it at starscape last year too. My thoughts are "is it a recorded set?" "when is he actually mixing tracks together?" I don't know how to use finale scrath so i don't even know how the actual mixing comes in to play, but I never saw him touch anything but the laptop, and not that often either. "And why the fuck use final scratch?" It turned me off a lot from his set when I noticed that is all that he was using. And the fact that he played WAY to many 80's remixes.

Final Scratch uses two vinyl disks which you put on the decks and mix like they were regular records. You still have to beatmatch and mix normally. You just don't have to dig through a record box to find the next one. You look through a directory of files instead. You still have to have DJ skills and know how to read the crowd and know what songs will sound good together. It just lets DJs take a lot more songs with them.

Final Scratch uses two vinyl disks which you put on the decks and mix like they were regular records. You still have to beatmatch and mix normally. You just don't have to dig through a record box to find the next one. You look through a directory of files instead. You still have to have DJ skills and know how to read the crowd and know what songs will sound good together. It just lets DJs take a lot more songs with them.

I guess people said the same thing when CD decks came out, but it's just not the same thing

It is the same thing.

No, they're right. it's not the same thing. But I guess in order to be a "real" DJ you need to lug around 200lbs of vinyl, half of which you never play. Plus you need to be worried all night that some dumb ass is gonna hit the DJ booth and skip the needle, or that your record got fucked up somewhere and it gonna start skipping on it's own. I guess that makes you a "real" DJ....pffft!

Guys, final scratch nor cd decks makes anything any easier. You still have to be talented, you still have to be artistic, you still have to pay attention.

I would maybe expect this kind of attitude from people who have never DJ'd, but Millie? Runner? You guys spin. You know it takes more that just having a record bag or the anxiety of a record skipping in order to be any good. It takes a ton more creativity. If anything, it allows you to be even MORE creative.

And as a side note, if using CD decks and the like are any indication of being a second rate DJ then you'll pretty much have to knock all your fav DJs down to second rate. EVERYBODY uses em and the use 'em ALOT.

Yeah, it's not exactly the same, but you can't get much closer than with Final Scrath. You're still using turntables for fuck's sake. And there is nothing wrong with using CD decks, either. Unless you're a turntablist DJing isn't about what you're doing with the decks (especially considering to what music and JDs most people around here listen to). It's about keeping the music dancing and making people dance. Even if you're playing CDs you still have to be able to read the crowd and know what songs go together.

I like to play tapes when I spin, er, wind, er, whatever it is you do with tapes.

The vinyl/CD debate is all about purist vs. technology. There's always gonna be a sense of mystique around vinyl. Vinyl also sounds much better than CD, although on a club system, that's not gonna matter too much because no matter what you spin, you can always make it LOUD enough where it won't matter how the quality is.

That being said, I resisted CD's forever, but now can't spin without them. Same will probably be said for Final Scratch one day. They'll never replace vinyl for me, but they'll definitely supplement.

I don't know enough about final scratch to knock it. The only thing I was knocking about his set was he played way to many 80's remixes and he just stood there. I like a dj to get into his set. And when he is just standing there and occasionaly touching the mixer and filtering through the laptop it just seemed boring. I like to know that the DJ is getting into the music just as much as the crowd. Another reason why I hate Oakenjoke. He does the same shit too, puts a record on, walks away, comes back, puts a record on, walks away. Now Carl Cox, he could play a recorded set and you'd never know, cause he's into the crowd, into the music, and sweats like a NBA player. That's why I love to watch and listen to Carl Cox. Also, JA didn't impress me the both times that I saw him. He seems to be too popish, trendy style DJ. I am much more into the darker, tribal, progressive. I need music that not only makes me dance, but I need audio that gives me visual.