Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Turntable question for DJ's

liquidchaz

Okay, here's the deal. I've been spinning on a friend's 1200's for the past two years. I'm a fairly decent DJ with pretty good mixing and basic scratching skills who's done a handful of parties (all with 1200's).

Sadly to say, the time has finally come when I can no longer use my friend's 1200's to practice. Now I need to go out and buy my own... the thing is, college takes up all my fucking money so I can't afford a pair of technics and a mixer.

There were some mid-range Numark tables I've been looking at that are in my budget. But what I want to know is... how much will switching back and forth from numarks at home and technics at parties mess up my flow?

The Numarks I would buy would be direct-drive fairly high torque (but not the ultra-high torque you get with 1200's). Like I said, I predominately do house mixing and only do basic scratching occationally.

Will the Numarks really fuck up my flow?

I also have the the option of getting a pair of getting a pair Stanton tables with about the same specs as the Numark tables (except the Stanton's are straight armed). Does anyone have a Stanton or Numark preference?

I wish I just had the cash for technics. But I don't ::sigh::

everyone here uses cds or mp3s ud be better off tryin another site

if i were u id save and pay the extra $ for 1200s cause the lower end tables are very inaccurate on pitch and the motors arent as strong or fluctuate. ive only used one of numarks new tables last yr i forget the model #, i think it was the one below the high end ttx and it doesnt compare at all to a 1200

You can get the Denon DJ-151 direct drive turntables for about 2 hundred and change each, there pretty good and can really take a pounding and sound pretty good! A friend of mine just picked a pair of them up a month or 2 ago and I was really impressed by the quality!

Stantons are better than the Numarks....much quicker pickup on them. Both platters, however, are about 10 times touchier than techs.....that can work to your advantage though, because it forces you to really learn how to adjust using only the pitch (something I'm very guilty of not doing much)...

If you're doing scratching, the straight tonearm is better. If you're predominantly blending (for long periods) you might prefer the Numark because the straight arm flutters more than the curved arm. However, I don't really find that there's that much of a difference, and since all tables flutter anyway no matter how perfectly you match up the beats, it really doesn't make too much of a difference unless you're spinning 3 tracks at the same time (because then you don't have as much time to pay attention and adjust for flutter).

Hope this helped some....

Last piece of advice: you can probably find a pair of used Techs on e-bay or Craigs List for about the same price as new Numarks or Stantons.

Chaz

I wouldnt get the Numarks, simply because you are waisting your money when if you struggle for a little longer you can get the 15 year industry standard 1200s. I was also in a similar situation a few years ago. I saved a little longer and now I know I am better off. Techs are the way to go, durable, and reliable.