Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Space34 and WMC issues

spacious

Sound System ... sounded good the first time we ever turned it on (last Tuesday at conference just before Oscar took the decks). It sounded even better after the 30 hour break in period after which we finally got a chance to tweak it (last Friday night). Saturday night was the best I ever heard a system sound. Unlike the Funktion One System stack (which I helped to design at a Funktion one sound test 2 years ago at old Space when Funktion One was trying get me to swap my EAW system), it has 180 degrees of coverage and you can hear full range sound every where on the dance floor (even if you are dancing on the side of the speaker stack). Funktion One stacks only have 70 degrees of coverage and therefore have a tunnel effect. You hear great sound only if you are directly in front of the speakers. Step to far on one side or the other and you fall out of the coverage pattern. It's sort of like standing in front of a flash light beam or a spot light. In fact you could say that the new stacks at Space34 are flood lights and the Funktion One stacks are spot lights. I like to flood the room with sound so that everyone can experience the full range of the music. You don't always get a chance to have the middle of the dance floor (specially when it's packed). Next time you are in a club which has a Funktion One or Turbo System (same guy/owner started both companies) and you are in the mood to be a sound tecky, try doing the following test ... stand 1 foot directly in front of one of the speaker stacks and walk away until you hear the highs or you feel you are hearing full range sound. Then walk side to side in front of the speakers and hear what happens to the full range of the sound. It comes and goes just as if you were stepping in and out of a beam of light. Funktion One was also designed for concerts and stadiums (long throw applications). This is also why you will not hear the full spectrum of the music being played if you are right in front of the stack. I could have gone with any speaker system I wanted for the new space and I did. BTW...close second where the line array systems from V-Dosc and EAW but they did not have the warmth and also suffered from the tunnel effect syndrome.

AC...Air conditioners kept turning off due to fire alarm checks during the night. We have double the amount of ac of old Space but the fire dampers turned them off when we did our fire alarm checks (requested by fire marshals) during the night. Once they go off it takes a while for them to start cooling again, specially when the club is as packed as we were. Fortunately these tests are over and next time you are at 34 you will freeze your ass off. Just don't complain that it's "too cold in Space."

Cover...WMC door cover at Space started at $30 and 40 (very fair for the line ups we had) before midnight every night. Sunday morning the line went around the block we were crowded to capacity and you could not get into Space. We got mobbed by very agitated tourists that threatened to rush the front and back entrances. In order to scare the masses away and avoid problems we shut the back entrance and announced that the cover would be $100. Most people got insulted and left but to our surprise some people (about 80) actually paid. After things calmed down we lifted the cover completely and many got in for free to experience what I personally thought was the best party of the conference, the Space Music Conference Closing Space Party in the patio. Danny Howells toar it up from 7 am to 11 am followed by a flawless 2 hour set by Oscar G. Then and Sasha and Sharom (Deep Dish) took over the decks together (I believe this is a first). They went back to back (two records each) until 7 PM (the latest we ever closed). They performed in front of a down pour to a wet audience that danced and played in the pouring rain (just like kids). Again I would like thank Sharom and Sasha for helping to create one of my favorite all time experiences at Space. Thank you Danny Tenaglia for showing up and "being yourself. If any of you were there please post a full review.

Space Passes... were your best bet for getting in fast (even faster than VIP). The only time Pass holders and everyone else waited was when the fire Marshall ordered us to hold the door.

Patio heat...what can I say?...it's Miami. If you can't stand the heat...move to Chicago. We are installing more fans to blow more hot air.

Over all I think we had our best conference ever. We opened up another Space (34) and again we did it in conference and with Danny. We won the Dance Star award for "BEST CLUB VENUE", we must be doing something right. We thank all of you who voted for us. We will keep working to make Miami proud and keep earning the right of being the best. Speaking of best...I am off to The Club Show in Las Vegas and the 2003 Club Awards where we are also nominated for being the best night club. Humm, I wonder who will win???

LP

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

During conference, I checked out Space twice, once during the Balance sessions on Thursday night, and briefly on Sunday morning for the closing party. Setwise, all the DJs I managed to hear did an excellent job on the decks, especially the latter part of John's set on Thursday, which was one of the best I heard during conference.

From a technical standpoint, the sound system at Space 34 is definitely well-engineered. The nice thing about the system is that it is definitely tuned with the comfort of the dancefloor enthusiast in mind, they're not seeking to physically level you with the sound system. A common issue amongst clubgoers is a phenomenon called sonic fatigue, where a signal at a sufficient dB level will cause physiological stress on the person being subjected to it. Without turning this into a medical course, the sound basically rattles your insides, brain and balance centers around enough to make you tired. I didn't get that sensation at Space. There was enough volume to make me stand up, hear thunder and see lightining, but I felt I could be on the dancefloor for hours.

The supplementary coverage in the mezzanine is a good addition too, the people up there get the full range of the signal, but at a level comforting to being in close proximity to the speakers up there.

The patio system is definitely something to be proud of...clearly the best outdoor rig in town.

The third room's systems were respectable too, reminded me of the red room at the old Space.

Lighting on all fronts was fantastic. I knew way in advance about the mobile truss in the main room, but seeing it in action is quite something else. The images I captured are fantastic...they'll be in the usual place in a couple of days. Even the patio lighting rocks, it's actually better than the main room rigs in some Beach clubs!

Any complaints I had were just crowd related, and I understand that was just conference, so I'm not really complaining :)

Overall, job well done, glad to see it open!

LP i respect u a lil lil lilllllllllllllllllll bit more that u just posted this but your club has alot of issues that need taking care of ,the biggest one being staff, they have no respect for anyone..

as you know i bombarded your club with billboard live flyers and i wont hesitate to do it again i did the same to crobar and maze and every other joint so its nothing personal..

but its easier to promote inside of another club then it is to stand on a street handing out flyers...

and thanx to all my friends that work in space and crobar that noone was able to find the mystery flyer bomber:laugh: :laugh:

new club is nice i guess , better then the old one but looks to much like club exit in NY.. system did sound pretty nice i dont have any complaints about that for once..

oh another thing you NEED to have unisex bathrooms this men/woman shit suxxx

Originally posted by spacious

Sound System ... sounded good the first time we ever turned it on (last Tuesday at conference just before Oscar took the decks). It sounded even better after the 30 hour break in period after which we finally got a chance to tweak it (last Friday night). Saturday night was the best I ever heard a system sound. Unlike the Funktion One System stack (which I helped to design at a Funktion one sound test 2 years ago at old Space when Funktion One was trying get me to swap my EAW system), it has 180 degrees of coverage and you can hear full range sound every where on the dance floor (even if you are dancing on the side of the speaker stack). Funktion One stacks only have 70 degrees of coverage and therefore have a tunnel effect. You hear great sound only if you are directly in front of the speakers. Step to far on one side or the other and you fall out of the coverage pattern. It's sort of like standing in front of a flash light beam or a spot light. In fact you could say that the new stacks at Space34 are flood lights and the Funktion One stacks are spot lights. I like to flood the room with sound so that everyone can experience the full range of the music. You don't always get a chance to have the middle of the dance floor (specially when it's packed). Next time you are in a club which has a Funktion One or Turbo System (same guy/owner started both companies) and you are in the mood to be a sound tecky, try doing the following test ... stand 1 foot directly in front of one of the speaker stacks and walk away until you hear the highs or you feel you are hearing full range sound. Then walk side to side in front of the speakers and hear what happens to the full range of the sound. It comes and goes just as if you were stepping in and out of a beam of light. Funktion One was also designed for concerts and stadiums (long throw applications). This is also why you will not hear the full spectrum of the music being played if you are right in front of the stack. I could have gone with any speaker system I wanted for the new space and I did. BTW...close second where the line array systems from V-Dosc and EAW but they did not have the warmth and also suffered from the tunnel effect syndrome.

AC...Air conditioners kept turning off due to fire alarm checks during the night. We have double the amount of ac of old Space but the fire dampers turned them off when we did our fire alarm checks (requested by fire marshals) during the night. Once they go off it takes a while for them to start cooling again, specially when the club is as packed as we were. Fortunately these tests are over and next time you are at 34 you will freeze your ass off. Just don't complain that it's "too cold in Space."

Cover...WMC door cover at Space started at $30 and 40 (very fair for the line ups we had) before midnight every night. Sunday morning the line went around the block we were crowded to capacity and you could not get into Space. We got mobbed by very agitated tourists that threatened to rush the front and back entrances. In order to scare the masses away and avoid problems we shut the back entrance and announced that the cover would be $100. Most people got insulted and left but to our surprise some people (about 80) actually paid. After things calmed down we lifted the cover completely and many got in for free to experience what I personally thought was the best party of the conference, the Space Music Conference Closing Space Party in the patio. Danny Howells toar it up from 7 am to 11 am followed by a flawless 2 hour set by Oscar G. Then and Sasha and Sharom (Deep Dish) took over the decks together (I believe this is a first). They went back to back (two records each) until 7 PM (the latest we ever closed). They performed in front of a down pour to a wet audience that danced and played in the pouring rain (just like kids). Again I would like thank Sharom and Sasha for helping to create one of my favorite all time experiences at Space. Thank you Danny Tenaglia for showing up and "being yourself. If any of you were there please post a full review.

Space Passes... were your best bet for getting in fast (even faster than VIP). The only time Pass holders and everyone else waited was when the fire Marshall ordered us to hold the door.

Patio heat...what can I say?...it's Miami. If you can't stand the heat...move to Chicago. We are installing more fans to blow more hot air.

Over all I think we had our best conference ever. We opened up another Space (34) and again we did it in conference and with Danny. We won the Dance Star award for "BEST CLUB VENUE", we must be doing something right. We thank all of you who voted for us. We will keep working to make Miami proud and keep earning the right of being the best. Speaking of best...I am off to The Club Show in Las Vegas and the 2003 Club Awards where we are also nominated for being the best night club. Humm, I wonder who will win???

LP

Mad props on this venue ... simply the BEST I'VE SEEN ...

You had the DJs ELITE ... drooling all week ... :eek::hat:

LP

AWSOME PLACE !! I HAD AN AWSOME TIME ALL THE NIGHTS I WENT & LOVED IT !! HAD NOT ONE SINGLE PROBLEM !! PROPS TO LP !!! IM GONNA DEFINATELY BE THERE FREQUENTLY :D :D :D THE ONLY PROBLEM I SAW @ THE CLUB WAS THE AMOUNT OF MEATHEADS IN THERE WEARING NO SHIRTS & TRYING TO DANCE..IT LOOKED RIDICULOUS & MADE THE CLUB LOOK BAD :laugh: :laugh: J/K

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

to our surprise some people (about 80) actually paid.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by georgeacasta2

:laugh: :laugh:

I think I know eleven of them ... :laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by andrewthomas

your club has alot of issues that need taking care of ,the biggest one being staff, they have no respect for anyone..

as you know i bombarded your club with billboard live flyers and i wont hesitate to do it again i did the same to crobar and maze and every other joint so its nothing personal..

but its easier to promote inside of another club then it is to stand on a street handing out flyers...

and thanx to all my friends that work in space and crobar that noone was able to find the mystery flyer bomber:laugh: :laugh:

and you admit this??:eek:

:rolleyes:

you DONT ever go into another club and give or throw flyers to another place. and then you talk about Space not having class or respect.

wow:confused:

No complaints here other then the fact I couldnt find anywhere other then the bathroom to cool off. Space 34 had the best DJs spinning, the best sound and the staff didnt treat me too bad...

props to space 34!

I know it can only get better...

Guest saleen351

http://www.vipguestlist.org/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36445

a sound review for yous, I haven't been to new space, but overall the sound got shitty reviews... compared to the reviews the djs and crowd give the maze system...

but if you have shitty djs playing on a great system then it does no good. But i'm sure ralph falcon and possibly stryke should crank that system to the extrmes over at maze..

LP when are we gonna get a roland extended set? I'm glad I didn't go on friday, he didn't go on till 8am...

And like Yogi use to say "No one goes to space anymore, it's too croweded"

maze system is definitly still better.

as for the lineup maze BLEW away space with the lineups

space been having the same djs for the past 3 WMC in a row and they didnt bring in ANY new talent..

maze on the other hand brought in manyy manyy djs and artists state side for the first time , , some artists never in florida before were, L.E.S, dj vibe , peace division, scumfrog, wally lopez, dr kucho, iberican sound and more

here we go again...andrew thomas trying to be a bad ass once again. it is funny to me how u can come out and say that u were bombing space with flyers to your party, which im sure was a huge success.:laugh: ...i heard rolands set was really good. (maybe if he wouldve played, cause he was definitely the best d.j. on your all-star roster). but i think roland is a little too busy playing at a slightly better party at SPACE 34, to be playing at your awesome w.m.c. bash. I dont know why u always seem to choose space as your choice of venue to bash and criticize. Space has proven over the last 3 years to be one of the best clubs in the country, if not the world. For you to have the nerve to say that Maze had a better lineup than Space 34 is absurd, and i think anyone and everyone on this board would agree. Let's see:

Danny Tenaglia

Oscar G.

Tiesto

Oakenfold

Piccotto

Sasha & Digweed

Sander Kleinberg

Steve Lawler

Paul Van Dyk

Edgar V.

Deep Dish

Danny Howells

thats only naming some of the roster.

And to have a closing party featuring:

Danny Howells

Oscar G.

Sasha

Sharam (Deep Dish)

I would say that is quite the ending party. Your comments are usually quite ridiculous, and the funniest thing of all, is that i bet u are probably at space every saturday dancing your ass off having a great time.

To Louis Puig...thank you for creating a place where we can all go and enjoy great music in a great venue...You did it at the old space and u have already begun to do it at Space 34...you have a wonderful all around staff who works very hard, and is very friendly, and you definitely have the best resident d.j. in the country in Oscar G., who by the way is nominated for best U.S. resident d.j. at the las vegas awards.

SPACE = GREAT MEMORIES...(hopefully one more night there to close it down the right way)

SPACE 34 = :party: :party: for another 3 years.

Guest saleen351

maze system is definitly still better.

as for the lineup maze BLEW away space with the lineups

space been having the same djs for the past 3 WMC in a row and they didnt bring in ANY new talent..

maze on the other hand brought in manyy manyy djs and artists state side for the first time , , some artists never in florida before were, L.E.S, dj vibe , peace division, scumfrog, wally lopez, dr kucho, iberican sound and more

any dj that played before 4am at maze sucked big time... I'd take picotto and roland and og over all of them...

how did your party go?

party actually did really well

as for espacio ur a pussy go suck some more space nuts..

fuckin space always having the same djs wackkkkk

Let's see:

Danny Tenaglia giva ya that

Oscar G.give ya that too

Tiesto ??whats the big deal

Oakenfold<<can we say cheese

Piccotto giva ya that

Sasha & Digweed<<< boringgg

Sander Kleinberg decent

Steve Lawler<<heard him 981264597612 times last year

Paul Van Dyk<<wackkk

Edgar V. trance sux even though edgars greatttt

Deep Dish heard them to many times last year

Danny Howells i can see him all over

so where are all the exclusives that space had?

so saleen ude take locals over these djs anytime...

its nice to support your local djs but dont suck ass bro comeonn

Guest saleen351

party actually did really well

as for espacio ur a pussy go suck some more space nuts..

fuckin space always having the same djs wackkkkk

Let's see:

Danny Tenaglia giva ya that

Oscar G.give ya that too

Tiesto ??whats the big deal

Oakenfold<<can we say cheese

Piccotto giva ya that

Sasha & Digweed<<< boringgg

Sander Kleinberg decent

Steve Lawler<<heard him 981264597612 times last year

Paul Van Dyk<<wackkk

Edgar V. trance sux even though edgars greatttt

Deep Dish heard them to many times last year

Danny Howells i can see him all over

so where are all the exclusives that space had?

so saleen ude take locals over these djs anytime...

its nice to support your local djs but dont suck ass bro comeonn

i said i'd tak my locals over all the djs that played before 4am at maze ... cause thats all i heard... scumfrog was not good and les was horrible.. they need to stay in the studio.. and not on the decks...

after 4am ,i left so i don't know...

dear andrew,

I appreciate your amazingly intelligent remarks and insults, but if i recall, the only pussy here is you. you are the one that almost got kicked out of the space patio a couple of weeks ago for walking around with a bag strapped around you full of flyers. why dont you try having some fuckin class and not doing shit like that. I dont think you wanna get people who let you in free in trouble for sticking up for your dumb ass.

and by the way, i dont really care for pvd, oakenfold, tiesto, or any of those trance d.j.'s, but u cant argue that they are some of the biggest d.j.'s from a global standpoint. I have to disagree with you that sasha and digweed are boring.

and like i said, im sure u will be at space 34 every saturday anyway. it is the best club in town (hands down).