Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Real Madrid - Manchester Utd. / Tuesday 2:30 pm ESPN2

vipnerd

I simply can't wait ... it is as good as it can get ... jump.gif

Di Stefano recalls a rivalry steeped in history

By Darren Bentley

MANCHESTER, England, April 4 (Reuters) - Alfredo Di Stefano believes Tuesday's Champions League clash between Real Madrid and Manchester United will provide another fascinating chapter in the shared history of two of Europe's greatest clubs.

"We are talking about a really historic confrontation here between two clubs that have had great affection for each other for a long time," Di Stefano told Reuters in an interview.

Di Stefano, who starred for the glittering Real side that won five successive European Cups between 1956 and 1960, was in Manchester this week, overseeing the delivery of the European Cup trophy from the holders to Old Trafford where this year's final will take place on May 28.

When the draw was made for the quarter-finals last month, many regretted that Real and United were paired at this stage of the competition. The prospect of a first European Cup final between the two at Old Trafford would have been the dream final.

Still, the fact they are meeting again had Di Stefano fondly recalling the first game between the teams in competition nearly half-a-century ago.

Recalling the 1950s when Real reigned supreme, Di Stefano spoke with great affection for United's "Busby Babes" team of the era, so many of whom were to lose their lives as a result of the 1958 air crash at Munich.

United manager Matt Busby was building a team to challenge Real's position as the first true giants of the fledgling European club competition game.

Real won the inaugural European Cup in 1956 and met Manchester United in the semi-finals the following season. Real won 3-1 at home with Di Stefano scoring their second goal in the first leg.

The second leg in Manchester ended in a 2-2 draw to give Real a 5-3 aggregate victory and they went on to defend their title beating Fiorentina 2-0 in the final in their own stadium a month later.

Di Stefano, who will be 77 in July, sees many similarities in both of today's star-studded squads to that golden era which still retains a special place in soccer folklore.

"I think it says a great deal that people still talk about the games we played against each other so long ago, because they made history in their own right.

"We have had the good fortune to play them in the European Cup and friendly matches down the years and here we are again, with both clubs top of the tree in their respective countries."

United avenged the 1957 loss by beating Real in 4-3 on aggregate in the 1968 semi-final before going on to beat Benfica in the final at Wembley.

The stars of that United team were Denis Law, George Best and Bobby Charlton, although Law missed the 1968 final through injury.

Indeed, individual stars have been the jewel in both club's crowns down those trophy-laden years.

REAL INSPIRATION

Di Stefano was the inspiration behind Real Madrid's five successive European Cups, scoring in each of the first four finals and adding a hat-trick in the fifth - a 7-3 win over Eintracht Frankfurt at Hampden Park in 1960 in one of the greatest games of all time.

He believes that today's stars such as Zinedine Zidane, Roberto Carlos and Luis Figo - proudly carry Real's tradition of rich individual greatness into the new era.

"Real has always strived to maintain its traditions and what you can say about the current team is that it has been built on the foundations we laid at that time," he said.

"It is a continuation of our triumphs that the club has built over the years, starting in the 1950s.

"Good players fit in anywhere. I have never heard of a good player that has not fitted into a good team - and with both Real and Manchester United we are talking about teams that have not changed much throughout the years.

"When we played in the 1950s, there were so many players on each side that could decide matches on their own.

"Now, in 2003, we can look at the two teams and say exactly the same. To compare individual talents between the 1950s and present day may be dangerous, but the over-riding principle remains."

Di Stefano, who many people still consider to be one of the greatest players of all time, added: "I see this as a 50/50 tie.

"The two clubs are both aware of each other's history, but the one thing I believe we can guarantee is that they will both be spectacular matches."

LAW REGRETS

Former Old Trafford striker Law, who said recently he expected United to be competing in the Champions League "for the next 50 years" is also licking his lips in anticipation of the battle of the two European heavyweights, the first leg of which will be held in Spain on Tuesday.

"It's just unfortunate that we have drawn each other at this stage," said the 63-year-old Scot. "It would have been a perfect final to have Real Madrid play Manchester United at Old Trafford, but it was not meant to be.

"A little bit of luck could decide the outcome, but I believe whoever wins this particular tie will go on and win the Champions League."

Which is what has happened every time they have met in Europe. Real beat United and became European champions in 1957, United did likewise in 1968 and Real kept the sequence alive when they beat United in the 2000 quarter-finals en route to the eighth of their nine successes.

Champions League Draw Was Fixed, Says Ferguson

LONDON (Reuters) - Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson has begun the psychological warfare before Tuesday's Champions League clash with Real Madrid by saying the quarter-final draw was rigged.

In the Sunday Mirror report, Ferguson also accused world governing body FIFA of favoring the European champion.

"It was a nice draw for the Spanish and Italians -- I think they picked it themselves," Ferguson was quoted in the report.

"The three Italian teams have avoided each other and so have the three Spanish. How do you think that worked out?

"I can tell you -- UEFA don't want us in the final, that's for sure. I don't know why they have given the final to Old Trafford because they don't want us to get there."

The three other quarter-final draws paired AC Milan with Ajax, Inter Milan against Valencia and Juventus versus Barcelona.

In his astonishing outburst Ferguson said FIFA was being soft on Real Madrid's Brazilian fullback Roberto Carlos after he was sent off for barging referee Alon Yefet in a friendly between Brazil and Portugal last week in Lisbon.

"I think the fact that Roberto Carlos hasn't been dealt with shows everyone the power Real Madrid have," said Ferguson.

"FIFA won't make a decision because they are waiting to see what Real say first. That shows the influence they have.

"I expect him to play against us (on Tuesday) simply because it's Real Madrid. If he played for any other club then he would be banned. There's no doubt about that."

Portugal's Abel Xavier was banned from international football for nine months after manhandling the referee at the end of the Euro 2000 semi-final against France.

Returning to Tuesday's eagerly anticipated clash in the Bernabeu, Ferguson added: "All I can hope is that we have a really top referee, and again in the second leg."

invasion.gif

I have a soft spot for Spanish football and mostly being Real, but then again, I'd be nice to see Old Trafford win one again. Both teams have steller squad's. Not much you can say about Zidane and Figo other than they are world class players. The same could be said about Beckham, Neuville, and Solskjaer. Both teams will be short on the line-up with Roberto Carlos serving a suspention for Real and Juan Sebastian Veron out with injury for the English side

let the games begin!

Originally posted by digital7

I have a soft spot for Spanish football and mostly being Real, but then again, I'd be nice to see Old Trafford win one again. Both teams have steller squad's. Not much you can say about Zidane and Figo other than they are world class players. The same could be said about Beckham, Neuville, and Solskjaer. Both teams will be short on the line-up with Roberto Carlos serving a suspention for Real and Juan Sebastian Veron out with injury for the English side

let the games begin!

will r.carlos miss the game because of the shoving incident with the israeli referee in that friendly match a couple of weeks ago?

i would put my $$ on who ever gets through to the semi's will probably win it all.

Yes. He's serving a suspension becuase of shoving referee Alon Yefet during the Brazil vs. Portugal match a couple weeks ago. FIFA has said that kind of behavior will not be tolerated thus suspending him until a diciplinary hearing can be arranged.

Yes. He's serving a suspension becuase of shoving referee Alon Yefet during the Brazil vs. Portugal match a couple weeks ago. FIFA has said that kind of behavior will not be tolerated thus suspending him until a diciplinary hearing can be arranged.

bitch, since when do you know that much about european soccer?

:laugh: :laugh:

it's all about Boca Juniors!! though fuckers tied with Olimpo yesterday. :rolleyes::blown:

It was his first red card in 94 games playing for Brazil ... he deserved more than one in the past thou ... and the game was

last Wednesday when Portugal beat Brazil 2-1 ...

IMO ... Fergusson's weekend remarks had the effect he wanted in terms of the suspension ...

This years Champions League quarterfinals are only missing Arsenal ... it is bigger than the World Cup for Fergusson ...

Champions League bigger than World Cup, says Ferguson

By Kevin Fylan

MADRID, April 7 (Reuters) - Champions League matches such as Manchester United's quarter-final clash with Real Madrid now provide a spectacle even bigger and better than the World Cup, according to United manager Alex Ferguson.

"If you look at the stats in the last World Cup it doesn't come close to the Champions League in terms of entertainment, goals or excitement," Ferguson said on the eve of his side's quarter-final first-leg meeting with Real at the Bernabeu.

"I think the European Champions Cup is now bigger than the World Cup. All the best players are in Europe now."

Real Madrid have a celebrity look about them this season with Ronaldo and Raul in attack, Zinedine Zidane and Luis Figo in midfield and Roberto Carlos in defence.

Manchester United can boast the English game's biggest name in David Beckham and Ferguson said his side could now also add to the top class international picture.

"When you get a collection of players like Figo, Zidane and Ronaldo it's really a World Cup selection," Ferguson said. "It makes it more like a world competition.

"We ourselves can provide Juan Sebastian Veron, Roy Keane and Ryan Giggs. It's an amalgamation of different nations."

Ferguson also said that top European matches provided something different from the domestic game.

"You know teams so well in domestic matches there's a certain mundane effect," Ferguson said.

"In Europe the game comes alive -- there's a suddenness to it and the atmosphere is different."

Referring specifically to the Real Madrid game, he added: "The important thing is for Manchester United to play properly. If we play the way we hope and expect it will be a fantastic game."

:hat:

you look like an encyclopedia of football knowledge digital, ur my hero :rolleyes::D

----> ATLETICO 4 EVER <-----

anyway, whats the deal with Tyrant? U coming up or gunna wait until the summer?

Originally posted by vicman

you look like an encyclopedia of football knowledge digital, ur my hero :rolleyes::D

----> ATLETICO 4 EVER <-----

anyway, whats the deal with Tyrant? U coming up or gunna wait until the summer?

dontcha just love my football knowledge? :tongue:

about Tyrant this month, Im still unsure if Im going to make the flight. I wanted to go to the Zwan concert tomorrow in Orlando, just my finances didnt let me.. Im hoping for the best.. keep ya fingers crossed

Roberto Carlos is playing tomorrow ... the suspension only applies to international games with Brazil ... which he can appeal by Wednesday ...

Real Madrid v Manchester United - statbox

LONDON, April 7 (Reuters) - Statbox for Real Madrid (Spain) v Manchester United (England)

Tuesday, April 8, KO 1445 EST

Santiago Bernabeu, Madrid

Champions League quarter-final, first leg

Head-to-head record:

Played: 6

Wins: Real Madrid 2, Manchester United 1

Draws: 3

Previous meetings:

Real Madrid 3 Manchester United 1 1956-57 European Cup semi-final

Manchester United 2 Real Madrid 2 1956-57 European Cup semi-final

Manchester United 1 Real Madrid 0 1967-68 European Cup semi-final

Real Madrid 3 Manchester United 3 1967-68 European Cup semi-final

Real Madrid 0 Manchester United 0 1999-2000 Champions League quarter-final

Manchester United 2 Real Madrid 3 1999-2000 Champions League quarter-final

Real have been far from convincing at home in the Champions League this season with just three wins in six games. But their record in Madrid in recent years is good overall and only two of the last 24 European visitors to the Bernabeu stadium have gone away with a victory. Real have never lost at home to an English club but four of seven matches have been drawn, two of them by United on their last two visits.

United have been good travellers in Europe this season with four wins in seven, including the brilliant 3-0 hammering of Juventus in Turin. They have been heavily dependent on the scoring record of Dutch striker Ruud van Nistelrooy, who has netted 12 times. But they may be concerned that they tend to fare badly in Spain. Last year's quarter-final victory away to Deportivo Coruna was their first in Spain, their only win in 14 games.

Real's record v English clubs: P17 W6 D6 L5 F25 A21

Real at home to English clubs: P7 W3 D4 L0 F14 A7

United's record v Spanish clubs: P29 W8 D11 L10 F44 A47

United away to Spanish clubs: P14 W1 D5 L8 F14 A29

Originally posted by vipnerd

Roberto Carlos is playing tomorrow ... the suspension only applies to international games with Brazil ... which he can appeal by Wednesday ...

oh shite!, I just read that right now on soccernet and was going to post it ... Im not sure if it would be the right thing though? I think UEFA and FIFA work together? shoving a ref is unsportsman like conduct .. I think it should get carried over

oh shite!, I just read that right now on soccernet and was going to post it ... Im not sure if it would be the right thing though? I think UEFA and FIFA work together? shoving a ref is unsportsman like conduct .. I think it should get carried over

I agree with you Danny ...

derbyeuro0708.jpg

Liga de Campeones | Real Madrid - Manchester

EL PARTIDO MÃS GUAPO DEL MUNDO

Apasionante Real Madrid-Manchester. Verón no jugará con los ingleses. Los galácticos, al completo. Beckham, centro de atención. Lleno tota

Por JUANMA TRUEBA

Este es el mejor partido del mundo, lo digo y me quedo tan ancho, y no me vengan ahora con las selecciones ni con los Mundiales, porque entonces sólo hay dos países implicados y aquí hay doce, de Brasil a Noruega, medio mundo, imposible no mirar ya vengas de parte del novio o de la novia, del amor o del odio, te guste el fútbol o la diadema de Beckham.

No hay equipos en el mundo que concentren tantos talentos, tantos millones, tantas cámaras, tantos guapos. Y si esto ya era maravilloso así, sin tocarlo, ahora van y se enfrentan, sudan juntos, como si la ceremonia de los Oscar, que nos gusta, se culminara con una pelea en el barro, Nicole Kidman contra la Zeta-Jones, preñada y todo.

No es broma. Toda la grandeza de este Madrid que parece invencible cuando quiere sólo se puede calibrar contra el Manchester, que también examina su poder. De aquí saldrá el campeón, la Copa es un souvenir.

Y esto no es lo de hace tres años, que ya pareció inmenso. Es más. El Manchester tiene ahora al mejor delantero centro puro del planeta, Van Nistelrooy. Y ha mejorado su defensa, donde se le concentraba el dulce de membrillo, y sigue Giggs, que resulta que ahora es el bueno, y Beckham, que ahora resulta que es el malo, cómo nos escuecen los guapos.

Quien no estará, y gracias, será Verón, lesionado, el motor inteligente del centro del campo, y argentino, cuatro goles en Champions, como Flavio, pero al revés.

El Madrid también es mucho mejor que hace años, con Figo, Zidane y Ronaldo, nada menos, con un equipo nacido para estos partidos y que por eso se duerme contra el Rayo, como lo hace un niño superdotado ante las sumas y restas, ansioso de raíces cuadradas.

Hoy, esta noche, se desatarán todos, los nuestros (que son más) y los suyos (que no son pocos), porque cuando ya tienes tanto dinero que no te hace falta llevarlo encima, sólo te quedan estos partidos.

Luego está el Bernabéu, claro, y esa forma que tiene de asomarse en noches así, y está Raúl, que no habrá dormido, y Ronie, que querrá empalmar con la siesta, y Zidane mirando al techo y Figo murmurando vamosh, vamosh. Por favor, que se pare el mundo a las 20:45 y que acelere hasta esa hora. Si puede ser.

------------------------------

Can't wait ... invasion.gif

Roberto Carlos not only took care of Beckham on the wing ... but his constant push forward was the key element to unbalance Man Us defense ...

In Madrid's 1st goal ... Figo appeared on the left, where RC was causing headaches all nite to Utd.... in the second goal it was R. Carlos who slid in the middle of the field to get back the ball which Zidane used to find Raul ...

The midfield was the key in the game ... Man U was lost and Real knocked their goals at the right moment ... when it was Man U who was pushing closer ...

Zidane and Raul were superb ... I still believe Real would be stronger with Morientes instead of Ronaldo ... at least this Ronaldo ...

The away goal could prove enough if Man U plays at Old Trafford like they play in the EPL ... that is vertically towards the goal ... "the best defense is to attack" ... never more true than against Real ...

BTW ... on Wedenesday April 23rd (2:30 pm EST) ESPN2 will show the return leg of this quarterfinal ... no game shown on Tuesday April 22nd ...

United do have a ray of hope, says Ferguson

MADRID, April 8 (Reuters) - Manchester United face a huge task to reach the semi-finals of the Champions League after a 3-1 defeat to Real Madrid on Tuesday, Alex Ferguson recognised.

The United boss believes that Ruud van Nistelrooy's second-half goal, plus the prospect of a packed Old Trafford for the return, will give his side at least a faint chance of making it through, however.

"Away goals are important and it is one of the hopes that we still have," Ferguson said after a Luis Figo chip and two goals from Raul had set Real up for a convincing win.

"I think Real Madrid can play as well away from home. They are a very good team, but I think that we can play better that this at Old Trafford.

"For the second leg we have a very hard game, but our one ray of hope is the away goal and if we score early on it could be very interesting.

"This is now a massive challenge for us to turn this one around but there is always a great atmosphere at Old Trafford."

United will be without Gary Neville and Paul Scholes for the second leg after the two players picked up yellow cards.

"I think we can cover the Gary Neville situation with John O'Shea, but Scholes is a definite loss," Ferguson said.

"We hope Juan Sebastian Veron will be fit for return leg."