n4 (1:31:44 AM): relaxxxxxxxx

:rolleyes:

ha ha very funny..lol...no more songs for you

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by zeeker

Exactly what I was gonna say. When people say, "I can't wait to hear Tiesto spin tonight, he's the number 1 DJ in the world!"

ummm, according to who??? Not me. All those guys named are all trance djs. I may be partial to the genre, but to say that Tiesto is the best DJ in the world is kind of rediculous. I know you (Bugout) just posted the top 5 according to Mixer magazine (I could be wrong) but I would never ever hold their 'rankings' as the way things are. Just one organization's opinion.

OMG Zeeker.. for this ONE TIME.. I will 100% agree with you. :D

And in regards to the question at hand.. I like a nice mixture.. what's always nice is to have a domestic, local DJ be a resident somewhere and then have the international talent come in here and there and do guest sets with the residents.. i.e. I love the way Centro Thursdays were designed.. we got NY's LES plus the international name. Makes for a very nice vibe cause you got the people who love the residents and you got the people who come for the international talent and then you got a lot of them who come for both.

OK, I may have a biased perspective on this because I run a party for local DJs, but I definitely think the people of NY underestimate the talent that no-name or local DJs have. In the 9+ months of Homegrown I have seen some incredible talent. There are guys who rarely even spin out because for them spinning is just a hobby and not a paying job, and they have totally blown me away. I have heard sets from locals that have made me want to get up and dance harder than most foreign big name DJs.

The best part about DJs like that is that, for starters, you usually don't have to pay to see them and if you do it is very cheap. Second, you most likely will get to hear a lot of unique sounds and styles that you usually won't hear from established big name DJs.

Don't get me wrong, I love to check out some of the big name talent that comes through New York, but I make sure to keep a healthy balance of local cats too.

Bottom line:

Locals Need Love Too

Originally posted by avalondon3

Those DJ lists are soo subjective. What criteria can one use to judge a Dj? number of sets spun? number of trainwrecks avoided? Even something like attendence is suspect. IMO, there is no clear way to define the top 100, or whatever DJs. My top 5 may be totally different than your top 5.

gabriel and dredsen are awesome american djs!!! :)

i mean look at thier latest releases and remixes....they are number 1 right now...eveyrone and their mother is palying thier remix or orginal works

Originally posted by Taub

gabriel and dredsen are awesome american djs!!! :)

i mean look at thier latest releases and remixes....they are number 1 right now...eveyrone and their mother is palying thier remix or orginal works

indeed they are! They make me proud to be an American *sniff* *sniff*

Those two are poised to take over the dance music scene as we know it.

Originally posted by roha3000

Bottom line:

Locals Need Love Too

exactly....

as for tiesto bashing....I happen to like Tijis. I think his sets are awesome, his track selection is great, his mixing is usually dope (not always flawless but definitely good) and his crowds always seem to have a great amount of energy. I think Venus is a great vocal. Okay its not silence. Name me a producer that spits out a "silence" type track every time he produces.

As for bringing up the DJ List-yes its subjective, BUT that list is the one respected by most DJ's in the world...unlike other lists where fans can sit there all day and vote 1000x for someone so DJ MPthizzle is number 8, somehow above Carl Cox, this list is the most legit--

But back to the point of the post--Domestic vs International...the sense i get from everyone is that as long as they play good they're good to you---but how come it seems Int'l guys get more appeal over here? any ideas?

i have no clue about eveybody preference is. Sometimes i think its more the venue than the dj. Like for example everyone here knows that i like websterall and i get bashed for it. Big deal always admit te crowd is weak compare to other places but im satisfied always with the music. This sat the 12th im checking out rick from 10 to 530-6ish yes he spins the whole night thank god. And then me and my troops are heading over to arc to hear deepdish i wanna see what thier like live. I like most of thier remixes and im curious to see how they spin live. So im enjoying both local and international on the 12th. Hopefully both will amaze me that night with hot music. And if the crowd is great at arc but the music is better at websterhall im still gonna be satisfy cause its another BIG UP TO local talent. And if their both great then what a weekend especially when i see my gf on sunday afternoon. Sheesh my legs will be gone.lol. Also im goin to a club in queens on friday cAllEd ENTRANCE with DJ MUTT AND RICK CORBO. If it wasnt for deep dish being there on sat i wouldve gone to see danny of course. But theres always next time. And hey BUGOUT have you ever heard "SILENCE" sanctuary mix. I never liked tiestos after v i heard this one. But its just my opinion.

Originally posted by djmikebugout

exactly....

as for tiesto bashing....I happen to like Tijis. I think his sets are awesome, his track selection is great, his mixing is usually dope (not always flawless but definitely good) and his crowds always seem to have a great amount of energy. I think Venus is a great vocal. Okay its not silence. Name me a producer that spits out a "silence" type track every time he produces.

As for bringing up the DJ List-yes its subjective, BUT that list is the one respected by most DJ's in the world...unlike other lists where fans can sit there all day and vote 1000x for someone so DJ MPthizzle is number 8, somehow above Carl Cox, this list is the most legit--

But back to the point of the post--Domestic vs International...the sense i get from everyone is that as long as they play good they're good to you---but how come it seems Int'l guys get more appeal over here? any ideas?

all his sets follow the same blueprint..he hasn't had a good remix in over a year....and what do u mean a "silence" type track? :confused:

Quality is quality, and I really don't give a rats ass where they're from...

That said, for the genres I listen to, more of the quality DJs tend to be overseas (UK or Australia), simply because they have access to better tracks sooner than do the people over here. The A-List DJs for a genre are the ones who get all the CDJ promos and acetates for stuff, so they'll have the top tracks months before they ever are even available to most of the local folks. For that reason, there's often more of an incentive to see international DJs. Of course, some of the DJs around here are considered near the top in their areas, so they have just as good of a selection as anyone overseas (i.e. Danny T, Erick Morillo, Junior Sanchez), and then it really becomes only an issue of who's better.

BTW, of course Tiesto is overrated. He's rated at #1, and since this business is so subjective, nobody can really end up being number 1 musically.

talent is talent no matter where you are. it also depends on what you're into. I personally prefer international djs. Reason is, i'm into trance, mostly uplifting and hard. very few local djs spin what i like. and if they do, i don't hear about them doing gigs. therefore, i have to wait for someone like armin or ferry to come around

i think the bottom line here is that no DJ from NYC will ever make it to that top 5.

my opinion is that NY is a big bubble with music

i would love to seen anyone name a local DJ that could even make the top 25

people can shit on the tiestos and the pvd, and the avb's all they want but the bottom line is that they are at the top

thy are playin to the biggest crowds, they are gettin the most money, radio shows, and their records are gettin played the most.

its not just about mixing records

Originally posted by buredf

i think the bottom line here is that no DJ from NYC will ever make it to that top 5.

people can shit on the tiestos and the pvd, and the avb's all they want but the bottom line is that they are at the top

thy are playin to the biggest crowds, they are gettin the most money, radio shows, and their records are gettin played the most.

There is this guy, I think his name is Danny Tegliano. You may have heard of him. He spins in this club that noone ever goes to and noone really has ever heard of him. Just maybe, if he tries hard enough, he will be considered one of the top 5 DJs.

:laugh: :laugh:

LOL

DT has been up on that list more than once. Check it out for yourself.

between this and ur hex hector post you are officially a moron, not only DT but Jr was up there for yrs

oh boy u are so big and bad, you can call me names on a messageboard.

i feel so hurt..

i made a statement. i did not call anyone names nor try to start any drama..

but as we can see from your 1500+ posts.. you are a CLUB ACE, either that or a person with much time on their hands.

try talkin to me about what music really is about and how its made and then we'll see how much you really know, because u can argue and call people all the names you want on a messageboard.. but people like me are out there making music and those are the people who understand it best.

and dont even reply because i def will not waste anymore time with stupid posts like this.

Originally posted by bigpoppanils

jan johnson didnt do innocente

the lead singer of sixpence none-the-richer did that one

oh arent you the musical afficianado..

i happen to bang Leigh Nash on a daily basis,

i never said jan johnson did the vocals on innocente

i meant the production on both songs, not the vocals...fuckface

try talkin to me about what music really is about and how its made and then we'll see how much you really know, because u can argue and call people all the names you want on a messageboard.. but people like me are out there making music and those are the people who understand it best.

anytime u want to have a debate im all for it obviously your clueless ive been around the scene for 13 yrs im sure u have too right? and for someone who "makes music" last thing you should be doing is putting down artists as you did with hex for an example :rolleyes: ull get real far in this scene, good luck

also i believe NYC is about house not trance. So im happy. Danny and junior were on the list for many yrs your right i forgot about that. MY bro and cuz always use to talk bout them like crazy. anyhow is thier really a difference who gets what vinyl first, Ex: if your inter. dj plays a record right and its hot you like it, but then what do you do he or she wont be back for another few months and by that time they play it again. The record should be on rotation with other djs so whats the point. You get to enjoy it more with local.

I think a lot of this is about the hype.

If I played at Ultra and dropped say "Out of the Blue" it would be heresy, and I would be destroyed on message boards around the world...;)

But if Tiesto dropped it, suddenly it is an epic moment. The plane flying overhead, the sun going down, etc...

I too am at fault for sometimes getting wrapped up in hype, and actually believing that the same song can sound better if dropped by a "super-DJ." Which really sucks.

I like Tiesto a lot. I knew about him since I lived in London in 98' and when I came back to NYC and was telling all my friends about him they were like "Who the hell is Tiesto, and what kind of a stupid name is that?"

Ok-fast forward 3 years to LL.

Crowd chanting his name, etc. His set was basically the tracks on the 2x CD that Gatecrasher was pomoting at the time, but the place went crazy. I thought he was good.

--Now I see him at Buzz in DC about 4 months ago, and he spent more time signing autographs than mixing. I thought he was great that night, but I remember from my early days at Tunnel when the DJ was this mysterious person, high above the floor, in control of every note, and putting his heart and soul into it.

The bubble of mystery has been popped with Tiesto, there isn't too much to left to one's desire.

But let's see how long he maintains his status.

I like him a lot, but he has gone the way of Oakie, albeit with a hell of a lot better production. Of the super-DJ's I like guys like PVD and Digweed, who are constantly reinventing themselves, and taking the scene in new directions. I can always count on an amazing 12", CD, or Set from these two and their labels, and with the exception of compilations, they are always new to me.

Local DJ's are great b/c they are the grassroots and the future. They have the latitute to play something new, -which may or may not be groundbreaking or well received-- b/c they don't have a crowd that has paid 30$ to see them with tremendous expectations. There is a lot of artistic freedom in that.

To compromise I just hit Liquids before I go to whatever mega-club, and I can't complain.

indeed they are! They make me proud to be an American *sniff* *sniff*

Those two are poised to take over the dance music scene as we know it.

I didnt know G&D got so much love!

You happen to know that Dresden is from ahem...CONNECTICUT!

He is a rad dude as well, ive got to hear a lot of his tracks cus my boy maa bell would get them way in advance, and unreleased ones too..Dave actually gave me one of his cdr's with like 9 of his remixes that hadnt been released yet..to bad i dont play prog!

When his he gonna play in NY?

Originally posted by hookface

That DJ list is nonsense. Tiesto certainately doesn't belong there.

:eek: :eek: dude you need to be :blown: .... but i guess your entitled to your opinion....but anyways, i dont really like domestic dj. danny tenaglia is an exception though, he is the ambassador for all the american dj's.... howells,jp,roger sanchez etc etc... my preference though are international dj's ... in europe the scene is more than here in america... i guess hip hop is overtaking us dance music luvers:rolleyes:

This coming from a guy who has less musical game than Tony Draper. :rolleyes:

thank you:rolleyes: i hate it when people dont respect other people s taste of music..... i know opinion matters....but please, before you critizise someone , please know your shit. i happen to be a huge tiesto fan. i happen to know more about the genre of music that is called "trance"....some peeps just hear a song and automatically, just because its not your "type" of music, you all of a sudden bash it.:rolleyes: sigh cant stand it....and zeeker(zack), i remember that 2hr argument with you about tiesto being the number dj in the world... yes i know i said that, i only said that due to the fact that im a huge fan, and i am just very proud of his accomplishments... yes i know that being number 1 doesnt mean you are better than the others....

Originally posted by smokesum

all his sets follow the same blueprint..he hasn't had a good remix in over a year....and what do u mean a "silence" type track? :confused:

MY FC*KIN POINT EXACTLY.... people bashing and dont know there shit... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: he meant that venus is a great remix but its not a "silence" ... i guess i have to explain this to you too... delirium feat sarah maclaghan silence mix is a classic tiesto remix that he did... i guess you would not know that right, since your just too busy bashing tiesto:rolleyes: