Clubplanet Nightlife Community

absurd door policies and velvet ropes

abgrover

My fiancee and I were visiting South Beach last Saturday night, and after questioning someone in a record store about what was going on...we decided that we'd try going to the Shadow Lounge.

Now I know most of these clubs have "selective" door policies, but what we experienced was ridiculous. We live in NYC, vacation in Ibiza annually, and regularly go to Twilo (depending on what djs are there) and we go out for the music and not the bullshit.

Most of the clubs in New York have lines, and you wait in the lines and get to the front eventually and then pay to get in.

For some reason, at most of the clubs/lounges we passed, you need to wait in an unorganized herd of people to get "picked".

We were "picked" to get into Shadow Lounge, after waiting for about 15 minutes. Once we got inside we found all sorts of people, most of which weren't anything out of the ordinary, many of which were the opposite of beautiful.

I just can't understand the whole process of making it look like your club is only picking the right people, when eventually, if you wait long enough, anyone can get in.

Why not just have two lines? One for <A HREF="http://www.clubplanet.com/guestlists/" TARGET="_blank"> guestlist</A> , and one for everyone else. Why bother to be selective if you are eventually going to let everyone in???

This isn't studio 54!

It just doesn't make any sense. That's all.

At least at my only past experience of a "selective door policy" the person at the door was keeping a line, and then turning people away once they made it to the front of the line, and didn't have the right look.

We had a good time, by the way, but it doesn't start your night off right to have to deal with the door policy stress.

i agree with you it's a damn shame that this is what most clubs resort to .... you haven't seen the worst yet...try going down washington... they actually try and pull you into their clubs... saying oh look at our <A HREF="http://www.clubplanet.com/guestlists/" TARGET="_blank"> guest list</A> ....c'mon man.... the only place i would go if i went to south beach is W6 the only reason for that is that they treat you like how a clubber should be treated.... with respect.... the door guys greet you into the club and the bar tenders are nice to you.... the next time your in sobe check it out.... and sorry about the south beach mentality.......

cwm11.gif

------------------

GARY P.(ARTISTRY)

FREE YOUR MIND

Having lines of people outside of your club - regardless of the interior's attendance - makes it look like your club is the happening place; nearly every club does it... admittedly when you drive by a club and see no one outside waiting you think it's going to be dead. I ain't saying it's right or wrong; it just is... and you gotta learn to deal with it if you're clubbing especially in SoBe.

------------------

"House music... it can change your soul."

"The second most popular game that we played as children... is house."

"Not everyone understands house music... it's a spiritual thing, a body thing, a soul thing."

It's just the way it's done here...not for nothing but I got treated like shit at half the places I went to in NYC. I got in, sure but security and such were assholes at best.

The reason there's the 'herd' too, is South Beach is very 'locals' oriented, and most local types know the doorpeople and just skip on in, leaving the tourist populace to wait for a bit. It's like a big, dysfunctional family...not to defend the doorperson's mentality or anything...surprising it happened to you at Shadow, that's behavior I'd expect at Krave or Level...

Well... I avoid the places that are like that in NYC (Sound Factry and Exit), because they never have any of the DJs I'd want to see.

Most of the clubs that get the good European DJS like Paul van Dyk, Sasha, Digweed, etc. are Twilo (and lately even Limelight) and they don't need to make it look crowded from the outside because they know they can attract a cool crowd just by hosting those DJS. They're always packed too.

I'm definitely not trying to diss the scene in Miami, I was well aware of what to expect before I went. It just seems like Miami is an American version of Ibiza, but seems to be missing the vibe...the parades every night, the djs on the beach.(You have the weather to be able to do that all year.)

I'm sure in a few weeks, for the WMC, things will be a bit different. (I'd guess it would become even more difficult to get into the clubs because of the number of International clubbers and Djs in town.)

Fuck yeah it's gonna be difficult. Doorpeople get snooty cause dresscodes go away sometimes, and then there's the issue of it being in the middle of spring break for some schools, and lotsa drunk frat types come down here expecting another daytona, and start fights and such when they get turned away from every club on the beach (as it should be, frat boys don't deserve special treatment) for being drunken slobs...between the WMC crowd and other complications, all bets are off and you gotta have a *very* good reason to get <A HREF="http://www.clubplanet.com/guestlists/" TARGET="_blank"> guestlist</A> , or even get in in a reasonable time.

well, i just experienced BY FAR the most ridiculous doorman in southbeach. i went to N last night to try it out after some hesitation (due its shitty predecessor, vivid). there were like nine of us standing outside and he told an incredibly hot friend of mine (she's brazilian so you can imagine) to please put out her cigarette because she was blowing the smoke in his face and he's allergic to it...

1. she wasn't blowing smoke to his face

2. even if she had been, for god's sake he's working at a club that's the least he can expect

3. DON'T go to N... maybe fridays aren't the best nights, but the djs really screwed up... even my most musically clueless friends thought the mixing sucked (and boy are they musically clueless)

4. if you do go to N, please make sure to blow smoke on this asshole's face, there's a couple of bouncers, but you'll pick him out because he's the only one with an attitude.

Yeah; the Yellorange man tore it up last night...

------------------

"House music... it can change your soul."

"The second most popular game that we played as children... is house."

"Not everyone understands house music... it's a spiritual thing, a body thing, a soul thing."

Archived