Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Charges dropped in death of bouncer....

Charges Dropped In Death Of Bouncer Enforcing Smoking Ban

APRIL 15TH, 2003

Due to a lack of evidence, charges have been dropped against two men arrested in connection with the fatal stabbing of a bouncer trying to enforce the city’s smoking ban at a Manhattan nightclub.

Jonathan and Ching Chan had been charged with assault after the stabbing of Dana Blake at Guernica, in the East Village, early Sunday morning, but prosecutors say they have been released because no witnesses saw either of them stab the bouncer and no weapon was found.

The brothers admitted to fighting with Burke after he told them they couldn’t smoke in the bar, but they denied stabbing him.

The medical examiner is trying to determine if Blake’s wound was caused by a knife or a broken bottle. If he was cut by a bottle, it may have been unintentional, authorities say.

A ban on smoking at virtually all of the city's bars and restaurants took effect about two weeks ago.

This is unreal!

maybe the city should spend a little more time/money on preventing real crimes (IE. STABBINGS) and a little less on worrying about whos lighting a cigarette, where...

not to say they were justified, or it could have been prevented... but i think theres plenty of real crime in the city that should really be dealt with before worrying about stupid shit...

Originally posted by joeg

maybe the city should spend a little more time/money on preventing real crimes (IE. STABBINGS) and a little less on worrying about whos lighting a cigarette, where...

not to say they were justified, or it could have been prevented... but i think theres plenty of real crime in the city that should really be dealt with before worrying about stupid shit...

right, so they'll use the money from fining ppl for smoking to finance an increase in preventing actualy crime?

Originally posted by hotcheme

right, so they'll use the money from fining ppl for smoking to finance an increase in preventing actualy crime?

hahhaha, no ones paying any fines for smoking... if someone handed me a fine, i'd literally go to the bathroom and .... well... use your imagination.... ;)

i barely respect speeding tickets enough to pay them... and since they can't revoke my breathing liscense... no one is going to pay anything...

Originally posted by joeg

hahhaha, no ones paying any fines for smoking... if someone handed me a fine, i'd literally go to the bathroom and .... well... use your imagination.... ;)

i barely respect speeding tickets enough to pay them... and since they can't revoke my breathing liscense... no one is going to pay anything...

They aren't fining patrons, they are fining the BARS!

Originally posted by sfqueen

Charges Dropped In Death Of Bouncer Enforcing Smoking Ban

APRIL 15TH, 2003

Due to a lack of evidence, charges have been dropped against two men arrested in connection with the fatal stabbing of a bouncer trying to enforce the city’s smoking ban at a Manhattan nightclub.

Jonathan and Ching Chan had been charged with assault after the stabbing of Dana Blake at Guernica, in the East Village, early Sunday morning, but prosecutors say they have been released because no witnesses saw either of them stab the bouncer and no weapon was found.

The brothers admitted to fighting with Burke after he told them they couldn’t smoke in the bar, but they denied stabbing him.

The medical examiner is trying to determine if Blake’s wound was caused by a knife or a broken bottle. If he was cut by a bottle, it may have been unintentional, authorities say.

A ban on smoking at virtually all of the city's bars and restaurants took effect about two weeks ago.

This is unreal!

THIS IS PURE BULLSHIT ... RIP SHAZAAM!!!!

Originally posted by Drunk

They aren't fining patrons, they are fining the BARS!

yeah, i guess that makes sense.. but enforcing it is going to waste more money... (going back to the "use the fines to pay for..." discussion)

i just think that this whole thing is sad, a man died for no reason and now the person/persons who had something to do with his death get away with it. intentional or not bottom line is a man died beause he was trying to do his job and enforce the freakin no smokin law...just my 2 cents.