Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Logic Records CLosing

We have lived our passion, Thank You :-)

After a decade of dancing in the US, Logic Records will be closing on

Friday, May 9, 2003.

The staff of Logic Records US: Kelly, Thom, Salwa, Maiko, Victor and Marc

would like to THANK everyone, all the club DJ's, mixshow DJ's, radio, clubbers

retailers, press who have supported Logic's music and artists, over the past

decade.

And most of all, the Logic US staff would like to thank all of the GREAT

artists we have had the pleasure of working with including: Gloria Gaynor,

Martha Wash, Kayo, Lane, Melanie, (La Bouche), (Le Click), Brad, Rich, Brizz

(LFO), Todd Terry, Dr. Alban, Beki, SK8, Kira, Danny Howells, Eddie Baez,

Westbam, Giorgio Moroder, Jocelyn Brown, Chris Shepard, Simone Denny (Love

Inc), Tom Novy, Emil Hellman, James, (Sound Factory), John Blair, Beto

Sutter, Marusha, DJ Keana, DJ David Knapp, DJ James Andersen, DJ Monty Q,

Da Hool, Tom Novy. Dani Konig, Jam & Spoon, Lacrezia, Blondie, Alison

Limerick, Njoi, Richard Humpty Vission, Pete Lorimar, Cosmic Baby, Sparks,

X-press 2, Joey Beltram, Storm & Herman, DJ Victor Dinaire, Ratpack, Erire,

Armand Van Helden, Frankie Bones, Kym Mazell, Illegales, Garland Jefferies,

Scatman John, Regina, Harlen, Phil Fuldner, Frenchaffair, LEX project, Ricky

Crespo, Boney M., Clubzone, Jason Nevins

Bro, I'm sorry to hear that, though not surprised :(

It is a big shame that people still have yet to realize the impact that all the downloading of music on the net has done to DESTROY the industry.

Yes the big labels will survive (but are in horrendous times) but all the dance lables which already mostly run on a shoe-string budget are getting killed by all the downloading.

It's affecting EVERYTHING across the board.

Record labels can't survive (people out of work)

Artists can't get their tracks signed (why even bother writing music if you can't make money)

Record stores can't stock up on records (already a low overhead) so they don't buy records anymore...no sales = no money = no more record store

News Headline

Dance music destroyed by mp3's!!!

Unfortunately people will never get the wake-up call and continue to just download and download and download.

It's one thing to download to find something and then support it by buying, but it's another thing to download and then give it to 100 of your friends.

I think I'm gonna go into Real Estate :(

man, that sucks :(

I"m a download whore and i freely admit it, but you'll also find pretty much all the music i've downloaded ending up in my crates later on. Can't bring myself to spin CD's, so if i like it, the 12" is mine.

Sucks to see good labels go down the drain like this.

Originally posted by schwingep

Bro, I'm sorry to hear that, though not surprised :(

It is a big shame that people still have yet to realize the impact that all the downloading of music on the net has done to DESTROY the industry.

Yes the big labels will survive (but are in horrendous times) but all the dance lables which already mostly run on a shoe-string budget are getting killed by all the downloading.

It's affecting EVERYTHING across the board.

Record labels can't survive (people out of work)

Artists can't get their tracks signed (why even bother writing music if you can't make money)

Record stores can't stock up on records (already a low overhead) so they don't buy records anymore...no sales = no money = no more record store

News Headline

Unfortunately people will never get the wake-up call and continue to just download and download and download.

It's one thing to download to find something and then support it by buying, but it's another thing to download and then give it to 100 of your friends.

I think I'm gonna go into Real Estate :(

Agree..

If you want to download that's understandable...fast and easy access to music..but if you're gonna do that you have to balance it out by actually buying music as well and help support the dying business.

If these artists don't have any more labels to turn to, they'll never be able to get their music out properly (as single individuals usually do not have the means to do that themselves, financially and otherwise). And then there will be less and less music to download as a result.

I'm with cintron...if I like something I downloaded, I'll usually go out and by the 12", as well as shop for new music while I'm at it.

For those of you that aren't dj's, dance singles usually come in cd maxi's which u can get as well.

I know a lot of ppl say fuck you to this philosophy, but you have to look at the downward spiral we are all in...it will affect everyone in the end.

Originally posted by sdeelite

Agree..

If you want to download that's understandable...fast and easy access to music..but if you're gonna do that you have to balance it out by actually buying music as well and help support the dying business.

If these artists don't have any more labels to turn to, they'll never be able to get their music out properly (as single individuals usually do not have the means to do that themselves, financially and otherwise). And then there will be less and less music to download as a result.

I'm with cintron...if I like something I downloaded, I'll usually go out and by the 12", as well as shop for new music while I'm at it.

For those of you that aren't dj's, dance singles usually come in cd maxi's which u can get as well.

I know a lot of ppl say fuck you to this philosophy, but you have to look at the downward spiral we are all in...it will affect everyone in the end.

they will never understand, until they actually charge for DLs or u have these idiot djs, or whoever who rip vinyl/cdr and give it to everyone nothing will change and will cont. to get worse for the labels

So true.

I download classics that I can't find on vinyl anymore, but it is killing the industry.

How many labels have to go down before people realize this.

The thing that Eddie Baez said in his CP interview was interesting how his new company isn't even going to produce physical CD's or vinyl but sell downloads in a non-transferrable format.

I hope that works, but I see less and less really *new* stuff when I go record shopping.

Sorry Victor. Good luck.

i dont think mp3s are killing the scence as much as DJ's that play them.

Casual Listeners have never been the people that support vinyl releases..that is what compilations are for..so to say that someone who downloads a track they liked, but would never have bought - is a pretty weak arguement

BUT - places that book DJ's that play MP3's (Exit?) are doing their job wonderfully in killing the NYC scene. Along with the rippers

I buy hundreds of dollars in records every couple months..but I don't feel bad about downloading tracks i would never buy..and i do my share of cd purchasing as well.

And contrarty to popular belief..people still buy GOOD tracks all across the country..if you label aint makin what the people what, then change, but dont blame mp3s for everything.

i am pretty well read on this subject, and the truth is actually quite the opposite.

Bigger labels are more affected by downloading, and their whole business models are affected and must be adapted in order to survive.

Smaller labels, who usally have a more devout following of people that enjoy supporting them, can easily adapt, by offering mp3s samples, and selling low cost cds without the overhead the major labels have.

So what i think the bottom line is, if you are making something that people WANT, you can make money from it, but dont expect to get rich -

but the point of music is not to get rich now is it?

Is it possible this cleansing of scene you speak of, will get all of the people who are in it for the $$$ to move on, leaving the people who actually write and play music for the love.....

Originally posted by rocksteadyct

i am pretty well read on this subject, and the truth is actually quite the opposite.

Bigger labels are more affected by downloading, and their whole business models are affected and must be adapted in order to survive.

Smaller labels, who usally have a more devout following of people that enjoy supporting them, can easily adapt, by offering mp3s samples, and selling low cost cds without the overhead the major labels have.

So what i think the bottom line is, if you are making something that people WANT, you can make money from it, but dont expect to get rich -

but the point of music is not to get rich now is it?

Is it possible this cleansing of scene you speak of, will get all of the people who are in it for the $$$ to move on, leaving the people who actually write and play music for the love.....

As much as I love music for music...it is still very much a business (especially if we are talking about the labels). Even the ppl that do it for the love expect to eventually get something monetarily out of it.

i dont think mp3s are killing the scence as much as DJ's that play them.

Casual Listeners have never been the people that support vinyl releases..that is what compilations are for..so to say that someone who downloads a track they liked, but would never have bought - is a pretty weak arguement

BUT - places that book DJ's that play MP3's (Exit?) are doing their job wonderfully in killing the NYC scene. Along with the rippers

i agree to an extent cause we all know no everyone is a fucking dj now. ur arguement about the rippers is right along the lines i stated for the most part. people forget everyone is spoiled now cause in the past they had to wait to buy a compilation w/ tracks anywhere from 6 months to a yr old or pick up the latest sf vs. exit cd for maybe some newer tracks:blown: now everyone expects to get the next hottest track within a couple of weeks if not sooner. this whole thing is like beaten a dead horse. gets no where till someone in the industry makes a huge statement some how some way against mp3s. by either winnin some kind of court case or some agreement maybe thru mediation for file sharing to actually crackin down and changin the trend

Originally posted by sdeelite

As much as I love music for music...it is still very much a business (especially if we are talking about the labels). Even the ppl that do it for the love expect to eventually get something monetarily out of it.

but should it be?

Yes its nice, but guess what..i have spent thousands of dollars on records, equipment, computers etc, just to play and make music (not very well)..and thats enough for me.

I think that the current mindset of music as business is not a healthy one, to the extent that it is.

There will always be people that will pay money to hear good music, on a cd, in a club, or performed live..so there will always be a way to make something back...but it shouldnt be your main objective...those few people that do/should make careers from music are the people that are so good that they cant help but to make money..and therefore dedicate more time and effort to the cause.

All this talk about poor musicians makes me sick

before radio all musicians were poor! get over it!

That sucks, but I don't feel bad in the slightest about having DLed thousands of tracks for free. The means is out there, you'd be a moron to neglect it. And what is worse, DLing music off the internet, or promoters and DJs charging $50 for nights out, not including expenses inside, like drinks, water, etc...The scene is out there on a Thursday, Friday, Saturday night, not me clicking on songs at home.

For example, two weeks ago I was at Roxy for PVD, and I really wanted to get his new single on CD or Vinyl, which they were selling, but I go in my wallet to get the cash and I just didn't have enough, because I got raped when I paid for my ticket, paid $6.50 for a Red Bull, $11+ for a drink, etc...

Now, I wholey understand the concept of going out and buying the music you plan on playing in a club. It cheapens what you're doing to just pull out a burned CD and play it at a club. I like knowing that I put the effort, and the money into buying a track that is MINE 100%. But in terms of the rest of it, as long as there is a means, I'm gonna take advantage, just like the DJs do, just like the promoters do, just like the club owners do.

Sorry to hear about this.

It seems like things in the industry are going to continue to get worse before they get better. Its a real shame.

Personally, I download music to find out if its worth buying. I do my research online, then I order the tracks I gotta have. Many people don't operate this way.

There will be a solution to the industry's problems one day, but its going to take the cooperation of all the players in the business and it won't be an easy change for anyone to make. I just hope it happens sooner than later.

Originally posted by wakeup

gets no where till someone in the industry makes a huge statement some how some way against mp3s. by either winnin some kind of court case or some agreement maybe thru mediation for file sharing to actually crackin down and changin the trend

That won't do jack. Smart businesses adapt to their environment, stupid businessmen fight against it with their dying breath. You'll notice that with all the "statements" that the RIAA have been making regarding mp3s, file sharing is, oddly enough, more popular than ever.

As for the adaptation issue, the idea of small labels sustaining their sales through mp3 samples sounds very shaky. It's one thing to be able to sustain loyal customers, it's another thing entirely to generate their revenue stream entirely through direct marketing to their customers. This was the same problem with the damn majors thinking that they could succeed by selling their mp3s directly to their customers. The results of these decisions have been obvious: multiple suppliers of music each hawking differentiated wares when the market clearly wants a vendor with access to the full breadth of what the industry has to offer.

Oddly enough, it's all going the way of Apple.

http://www.apple.com/music/store/

This seems like maybe the closest thing we have to a proper legal mp3 distribution system right about now. Hopefully, it will spearhead a new movement in labels pulling their head out of their asses and properly taking advantage of the mp3 technology. I'm hoping that whereever Apple is planning to go with this store, they will be inclusive of the smaller music labels, so we won't have to hear about these kind of threads anymore.

Originally posted by Xpander

As for the adaptation issue, the idea of small labels sustaining their sales through mp3 samples sounds very shaky.

I was not reffering to the sale of mp3s by smaller labels, but the practice of giving away a song or 2 to promote yourself or your album..small difference, but substantial.

And the apple thing does look promising, except it will probably fail. Propietary SECURE format with DRM, limits your ability to use your music. I am betting the song catalouge is from the major labels, which does nothing to settle the whole artist vs labels thing.

What many people want is complete fair use of their tunes, and the satisfaction of knowing they paid that artist that made the song, not some record exec. Many people have said that once micro payments are feasable on a credit level, some system like this will emerge.

check out

http://cdbaby.com/

for a way for independants to sell their cds, without the hassles of a label. All you have to do after putting a cd their is get people to buy it!

I was not reffering to the sale of mp3s by smaller labels, but the practice of giving away a song or 2 to promote yourself or your album..small difference, but substantial.

And the apple thing does look promising, except it will probably fail. Propietary SECURE format with DRM, limits your ability to use your music. I am betting the song catalouge is from the major labels, which does nothing to settle the whole artist vs labels thing.

What many people want is complete fair use of their tunes, and the satisfaction of knowing they paid that artist that made the song, not some record exec. Many people have said that once micro payments are feasable on a credit level, some system like this will emerge.

check out

http://cdbaby.com/

for a way for independants to sell their cds, without the hassles of a label. All you have to do after putting a cd their is get people to buy it!

I see, that was a different tangent with the smaller labels then.

Apple's success is very contingent on themarket's reaction to its simple access, I think. The DRM in this case limits the usage/tranferability to three computers, which is not entirely unacceptable considering the low cost. The fact is, Apple has created, or is attempting to create an "online record store" in the truest sense (thus far) in that

a: There is availability of popular music that is not limited by labels

b: There is no membership fee (nobody's charging you money to walk into Virgin)

c: Tracks are available individually.

I don't think the labels vs. artist issue is at play here (yeah, I know about the revenue distribution percentages). What matters is whether or not file sharing can be tapped as a viable channel of commerce. Once that has been established, we can begin to utilize it as something that can benefit smaller labels and indie artists.

its not only Logic its alot of Labels who have to close down or announce major cutbacks in dance muzik or have to file bankruptsy due to the fact that everyone is downloading im not saying im no angel when it comes to downloading but when i get a chance i try to pick up everything that i liked at the record store just to show that i support the artist.

This is what has happened in the last year or so

Tommy Boy

Arista

MCA

Atlantic

Groovilicious & Strictly Rhythm (The #1 selling dance label 1 year before)

Arista

Epic Records

Unity Records

Logic Records

Vic, I'm sorry to hear this :(

I partially agree with this, but also, the music (especially dance music) industry is at fault also!!!

Most of the music comes out on VINYL ONLY!!! How can a regular person like me get that music on CDs??? I can't.. I'm not gonna go buy turntables.. The only dance CDs I can get are OLD PLAYED OUT shit or stuff from specific big name djs that are sold in most music stores..

Even with that last track that I just fell in love with.. It's out on Vinyl, I can order it, but what good will it do for me??? So what am I gonna do? Download it or just not have the song all together? Because chances are it will never come out on CDs..

(this is not for you personally Pete, but I'm just going with the subject)..

(whoa, didn't realize it was an "old" post.... just saw the link on another board to this post)..

Originally posted by mysteriousss

Vic, I'm sorry to hear this :(

I partially agree with this, but also, the music (especially dance music) industry is at fault also!!!

Most of the music comes out on VINYL ONLY!!! How can a regular person like me get that music on CDs??? I can't.. I'm not gonna go buy turntables.. The only dance CDs I can get are OLD PLAYED OUT shit or stuff from specific big name djs that are sold in most music stores..

a lot of record labels also sell CD's with their tracks on them.

check a place like groovetech.com and instead of "vinyl", do "CD".

you'd be suprised how many labels put their tracks on CD releases too.