Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Miami Beach neighborhoods

bkissa

Hi, everyone.

I'll be moving to Miami Beach this summer. I want to begin apartment hunting soon but not sure where (geographically) I should be looking. I have only been to South Beach and like it there, but I want to consider other parts of Maimi Beach. I know it is about the size of Manhattan, and Manhattan has so many different kinds of neighborhoods. I don't want to end up living in the ghetto.

So what are the best places to live? Cost of rent is not a factor.

Thanks!

If you want to live in Sobe, check out anywhere from 5th to 16th between pennsylvania ave. and alton road.

I live on Penn ave. between 10th and 11th and its a great location, close to everything in sobe. Back on Alton (the bay side) there are relatively new apartment complexes like the Mirador and South Gate Towers which are nice and rent is very reasonable.

Guest brwneydtrouble
Originally posted by bkissa

Hi, everyone.

I'll be moving to Miami Beach this summer. I want to begin apartment hunting soon but not sure where (geographically) I should be looking. I have only been to South Beach and like it there, but I want to consider other parts of Maimi Beach. I know it is about the size of Manhattan, and Manhattan has so many different kinds of neighborhoods. I don't want to end up living in the ghetto.

Thanks!

If cost of rent is not a matter, then I would suggest South Point. Oh man I love that area. Its the part that is the southermost end of SoBe where Opium and Nikki Beach are at. If not, then I would suggest anywhere from 8th or 9th street and north to 20-someting. That leaves you within walking distance of most of the nightlife and the beach.

Guest saleen351

Hi, everyone.

Thanks!

Miami beach is a dump!!!!!!!!!!! Smart people move to lauderdale area.. more to do, lots more to do and cheaper and lot nicer... this isn't 1997, sobe and miami beach are dumps..

Originally posted by saleen351

Miami beach is a dump!!!!!!!!!!! Smart people move to lauderdale area.. more to do, lots more to do and cheaper and lot nicer... this isn't 1997, sobe and miami beach are dumps..

I'll be working in Miami Beach so I don't have the choice. But thanks for your input.

I'll be working on Collins Ave Around 16th Street. Is that in South Beach?

Yes. Then, since you will not have wheels, forget what I said on VIP and live in SoBe. But, I would not go 2 far south. You want to be in the middle so you can hit all the spots without any long walks.

Guest brwneydtrouble

I totally agree. The only place in MIami you can live with no car is South Beach. I used to live on 13th & Meridian. That area would be perfect for you.

I wouldn't go beyond 23rd st. if you need help finding a place on the beach, you may want to pm miaminice. he is a kewl kat, and has his own real estate company. so I'm sure he can, point you in the right direction. :)

Unfortunately, I won't be able to take a trip down there and look at apartments. I'm going to have a friend look at a few for me and pick the one he likes best. I will need a place to move into the day I arrive.

I would like to be within walking walking distance of lots of nightclubs, shops, restaurants, salons, etc.

By the way, how is the situation with taxi's there? When I was in SoBe I was either walking everywhere or had my friends drive me, so I didn't pay attention. Could I hail a cab there like in Manhatttan? Or do I have to call for one? And is it as cheap?

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Keep it coming. :)

Originally posted by sobeton

I wouldn't go beyond 23rd st. if you need help finding a place on the beach, you may want to pm miaminice. he is a kewl kat, and has his own real estate company. so I'm sure he can, point you in the right direction. :)

Thank you Sobeton. :)

If you guys looking for anything below $1200/month I advise you to check New Times, Street Magazine and other internet sites while you are not in Miami.

When you are in Miami, your best bet is just drive or walk around and call "For Rent" signs you see everywhere.

The management companies (owners of the rental buildings) will ask you first month and a security deposit (one month rent in most cases) only.

If you go anything above $1200 will be in nicer condominum buildings and mostly listed by realtors which will require first, last and additional one month security deposit (plus at least couple of weeks condo association approval process and additional fee).

If you have further questions you can PM or E-Mail me.

Good luck!

www.305RealEstate.com

By the way, how is the situation with taxi's there? When I was in SoBe I was either walking everywhere or had my friends drive me, so I didn't pay attention. Could I hail a cab there like in Manhatttan? Or do I have to call for one? And is it as cheap?

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Keep it coming. :)

You can hail a cab on the street. And, as long as you stay in SoBe it is not that expensive. But try a cab ride outside of M.B., like to the Grove or Lauerdale and it gets very $$$. Simialr to a NYC>Long Island fare.

I moved here from NYC a year ago. I was in the same situation as you, though I wouldn't go so far as to say money was no object. But coming from NYC, I certainly had many more choices. I explored all areas of Miami Beach, and can tell you what's good and what's bad in my opinion.

First, if you don't have a car, live as close as possible to where you're working or buy a Vespa. My suggestion for the absolute closest place to live is the Decoplage, 100 Lincoln Road. Corner of Collins, one block north of 16th, right on the beach. Doorman building built in the '60s, renovated a few years back. I almost moved in there but I wanted to be in a completely residential stretch with no stores, restaurants, etc. Tell your friend to look at it. It's condo, not rental. Another one is the Roney Palace, 23rd and Collins.

I live on Collins in the 50s. From 41st to 63rd, it's a stretch of highrise condos, mostly on the beach side, some on the creek side. I like it because it's peaceful (like I said, no stores, etc.) and I have a beautiful ocean view. Yet it's only 3 miles away from South Beach. It's close enough to SoBe for a bike or blades, preferably a vespa or car. Given that you're from Fort Lee, which I know well, you might like this area.

Most, if not all, condos require background checks and board approval, even for renters. The process can take up to a month, so keep that in mind.

As someone else said, first, last and security are the usual prerequisites.

Other places to look at are South Pointe condos, though keep in mind the newer they are, the closer you'll get to NYC rents. Even if money is no object, there's no reason to overspend down here. I took the time and found a number of amazing values before I settled on a pad.

Also, West Avenue and Bay Road (west side of south beach) have some condos and rental buildings (Floridian, Grand Flamingo are rental, Waverly and Sunset Harbour are condo).

For where you are working, don't go above 63rd st., and take a good look at the Decoplage.

Of course, I have only been suggesting doorman buildings, because that's all I checked out when I came here. If that's not your thing (though I suspect it is because it seems like that's all there is in Ft. Lee) then I think my suggestions should help you. Any questions, feel free to leave 'em here or PM me.

I called the Mirador yesterday and it looks like a good place and it is not very expensive. Is this a good building? I have a dog and they told me they only allow pets in their midrise building.

I also saw Roney Palace's website and checked the rent at apartments.com, but the price is a little bit steep. The apartments come already furnished, which is great. I'll be coming to Florida with just my clothes and am probably going to be sleeping and eating on the floor for a while. :( I don't know what their pet policy is either. I doubt I can pull the rent there anyway.

I will check out the Decoplage today. Thanks for the advice.

Oh, and what is a "Vespa"? Is that like a motorized bike or something?

wow, I just started looking online for furnished apartments in SoBe and there are so many options. It's more expensive than renting an unfurnished apartment but I'd rather spend the extra dollar than sleep on the floor. I think this is what I'll do.

I too am moving to Miami area the end of summer. Thanks for starting this thread bkissa and thanks for the information. I have a bf that lives near Orlando and next time I visit, in June I am going to look for jobs and such.

Mirador (also west side of SoBe) is finishing or finished major renovations, so that may be a good place. Don't the junkies live there? Cooljunkies, that is. :D I thought I picked up some passes from them at the Mirador in the past. They might be able to give a good opinion about it.

One thing you must ask them, though. The building is owned by Smith Apts., Inc. They have had a couple of buildings in South Florida with serious problems involving mold, which resulted in health problems and people being forced to vacate apartments. This was in Bal Harbour and Sunny Isles. I doubt there's a problem at the Mirador, but ask anyway. It's in their best interest to be honest given their problems with the other buildings. In fact, I'd ask all buildings.

Vespa - yeah it's a moped. A number of places in SoBe sell them. You can buy used or new.

Apartments.com is not your best choice. Miami New Times and the Sunday Miami Herald are better choices.

Here's the Herald link:

Herald Real Estate

For some reason they never list all the apts available. Get your friend to mail you Sunday's real estate section as well as the last few pages of the New Times.