Clubplanet Nightlife Community

That 80's Show.....

Guest brwneydtrouble

Guest brwneydtrouble

In light of all the rave reviews of the Lawler/Zabiela weekend at space, I’ve been taking a closer look at the events that I have been going to lately. Is it just me, or does it seem that the club scene is moving in new direction? From the new retro fashions flooding south beach, with a sea of kangol, puma, old school adidas, and backyard logos to the resurgence of breaks and more progressive beats. As a dancer, I have noticed that I have been moving in a more break-dance style…..kinda like the dancers from New York. It seems so interesting to me how retro ten years ago was the seventies, and retro now is the eighties, the era in which I grew up. I am still surprised and a little scared in some cases to see my childhood cartoon companions of Strawberry Shortcake, Thundercats, Curious George, and Felix the Cat adorning t-shirts, hats and even underwear in come cases. (Can you say pedophile?) Walking down Washington Wednesday night, I popped my head in at Mosh Pitt, one of my favorite stores. I was delighted to see that they had a new line of womens’ stuff: Dickies, ESDJCo, Technics, as well as about 5 different colors in the kangol style hats that I love to wear. When I left my house, wearing a black Technics t-shirt, faded black jeans, and my trusty diesels, I was a little afraid that I was going to be under dressed. When we reached our destination, I was amused to find that I fit right in. All I was missing was a hat. *lol* This fashion movement is being reflected at all the clubs, bars and lounges that I have gone, especially with the advent of summer. Baring a little (or a lot) of skin seems to make going out a little more exciting and fun, for me at least. How often do I get to show off my legs or a bare back? The more casual the dress, the more laid back the people are, easier to approach and not so stand-offish. Getting back to my earlier point about the music, this summer seems to be full of a nostalgic, easy and comfortable air. One song that comes to mind that echoes that feeling is Layo & Bushwacka vs Planet Funk – Sun Story, the bootleg version. Even as Saleen pointed out, rap songs are playing samples of the theme song from a very popular 80’s TV show. So here I am, getting all ready for the weekend, and going through my closet in my head, totally dismissing the little tank tops with the frills, and mentally tossing out the J.Lo style jeans and tops and then completely moving over to what’s in my t-shirt drawers. I think that I may have a new one for next weekend, it has this bad ass logo of a little house…….

Its funny cause its about your age too.... I think the younger people are finding the stuff cool in a "retro is cool" way... I have to laugh when I see people wearing some of this stuff cause they were like in diapers when it was new.

There is no denying that the music of the era is sample heaven. Alot of the music was bad ass and many influences were created... I love the era and miss the days it was fun.

Some people are just getting into the 80's and some people have been stuck in the 80's.

Do you guys know in Tampa for the last 9 years every monday night at the Castle nightclub, you can see all the 80's videos on huge screens. The place still does 400 -1200 people every single monday night. It is so much fun.

Joe "I was there in the 80's" Budious

Anyone ever hear of K R O Q fm?

Guest saleen351

Miami is just months behind...

Trust me freestyle parties are comming back. Saw a few in the nyc, north nj area....

So koky save those records. You'll be needed in a few months:D

I heard a break tune in Phil K's set with the vocals of "this is not a love song" - PIL ... woot!!!! ... gave me goose bumps ... I like the inclination towards it ... but wouldn't like to see all 200 80's cds i've got remixed ... :hat:

did you guys here the Big Country Noel Sanger remix . its pretty cool,

then you got the awesome Kate Bush "Running up that Hill" (infusion remix) and even Erick B. and Rakim "Follow the leader"

Gene Carbonell remix is pretty sweet

Originally posted by mrjoebudious

freestyle super stars

Shannon "Let the music play"

T K A ""Is it love"

Lisa Lisa and the Cult Jam "wonder if I take you home"

Lisette Melendez "a day in my life"

Come on guys, give me more. Let's dig back in those memory banks

johnny o - fantasy girl

latin rascals - it must be you

sa-fire - boy i've been told

tka - louder than love/one way love/maria/scars of love/tears may fall

noel - silent morning

secret society (who 1/2 was Frank Lords aka Oba Frank Lords) - we belong together

information society - running/whats on your mind/walking away

george lamond - lookin into my eyes/bad of the heart

.. the list goes on :hat:

Guest brwneydtrouble

Catching up to me? Nah....I'm one of the youngest of this whole bunch! But I do remember KROQ, Knight Rider, TKA, JOhnny O and all that, although freestyle was a little later than most of the stuff out now. Don't think that I will be THAT popular, it just doesn't mix as well, and the 80's stuff.

Originally posted by biznation00

This thread rocks!! Long live the 80's...;)

Big Hair

Eye liner

Shreded Clothes

Go heavy on the arm accessories

Defiance

Fish net stockings

Breakthru sounds...

Biz seems like you got it down...LOL

I agree Long live the 80's:D