Clubplanet Nightlife Community

oasis, 05.28: dj thorrin

thp

Oasis

Wednesdays @ Europa

1409 E Cary Street, Richmond, VA

9:30 pm - close

this week’s guest:

DJ Thorrin (Fredericksburg's Little New Yorker)

DJ Thorrin comes from Raleigh, NC where he was dubbed was dubbed 'the triangle`s little new yorker' by DJ Sploo because of his style on the tables. A veteran on the house scene, he brings a strong love for vocal and deep house with him. Now residing in Fredericksburg, VA, Thorrin was introduced to house in 1988 and was fed a steady diet of the classics, a love that still holds true to this day.

resident dj: Omar Faison

downtempo house.afrobeat.nu-jazz.broken beat

21+ w/ id

NO COVER

a topheavy production

flyer and sounds available at www.topheavy.net

upcoming guests:

05/28-DJ Thorrin (Fredericksburg's Little New Yorker)

06/03-Tony Day (Campzero, RVA)

06/11-Doug Smith (95 North, Red, DC/RVA)

06/18-James Newton (Tequilasound, RVA)

06/25-Rich from Aquatic Folks (Shuggahousecollective.com, Charlottesville, VA)

Well what do you know? A party that's close to me for a change.

The basement at Europa is a nice lounge-y atmosphere. My only complaint about this place is usually the crowd. I can't tell you how often I've heard the people in this place complaining about the "techno". I don't understand why they think it's cool to hang out there if they hate the music so much. That and nobody dances. If you do dance there, you get stared at like you're pole dancing and it's only a matter of time before your clothes come off.

Maybe this is a good sign for Richmond though. Who's up for a road trip? You can crash at my place.

Originally posted by nourishment

I don't understand why they think it's cool to hang out there if they hate the music so much. That and nobody dances. If you do dance there, you get stared at like you're pole dancing and it's only a matter of time before your clothes come off.

so is this place a lounge, a dance place, or a strip joint? :confused:

Originally posted by vicman

so is this place a lounge, a dance place, or a strip joint? :confused:

upstairs is a restaurant, downstairs is a lounge. kind of andalu/red-feeling in its design.

God, Richmond night life fucking sucks. Props to these dudes who run this Europa lounge for trying to get a decent place for people to come to. People complain about techno/trance music there? I was in Richmond for a week once. Never again. Club scene in Richmond makes DC look like Ibizia.

Its like frat boy scene in every club. Literally, like khackis and jean styles from the late 80's early 90's. Plus, the city turned into ghost town after 6 during the week. Spooky. No on on the streets except homeless, druggies, and ghetto people.

Hope Europa changes your nightlife there.

>The basement at Europa is a nice lounge-y atmosphere. My only complaint about this place is usually the crowd. I can't tell you how often I've heard the people in this place complaining about the "techno".

i don't know when those of you who have been to europa have been there, but on fri and sat there is drum and bass in the lounge, not for dancing but for background.

on wednesdays (my night), the music is primarily deep house and broken beat. i bring in a guest dj most weeks to keep the sound changing a bit.

as for the crowd on wednesdays: the base is older ravers (22-25) and a bunch of bio/research/medical types. that's my day job and i have been promoting this thing in and around work a lot. after that, the crowd is very random. some of the weekend types do come in and check it out, but they are not the dominant crowd there.

i would encourage you guys to check it out and when you do, come up and say hello. it is definitely a fun night. the area available for dancing is small, so i don't do it as a full-on dance night, but the music is good, the drinks are good (no drink specials), and the space is very comfortable (new couches!!!!).

i do have to agree with Sapexec, the town gets pretty dead early and i used to be closed down by 12, but since april, it's been pretty lively, so the early closing time no longer applies. but please, come early, stay late, and HAVE FUN!