Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Field Day Festival denied operating permits!

(lifted from the Newsday.com site)

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/l...itics-headlines

Suffolk Denies Permit for Field Day

In a blow to Beastie Boys and Beck fans, Suffolk County has denied a mass gathering permit for a two-day rock concert in Calverton, meaning for now the event can't go ahead.

County health officials denied the permit today after Riverhead Police Chief David Hegermiller said his force wouldn't be able to handle the expected crowd of 50,000. On Friday, county officials informed the town they wouldn't be able to help with extra police officers because doing so would require an agreement between the Riverhead town board and the Suffolk county legislature. This wouldn't have been possible, since the legislature doesn't meet until after the June 7 and 8 concert.

The Field Day Festival was to have been a showcase for the 2,900-acre former Grumman site, which the town has been hoping to sell in an effort to spur economic development. Town officials and the concert promoters weren't immediately available for comment.

In addition, the Long Island Pine Barrens Society, an environmental group, sued Riverhead town today, charging the town didn't do a proper environmental review before agreeing to host the concert. Environmentalists had worried that the concert coincides with the nesting season for the rare grasshopper sparrow, which lays its eggs in the fields where the concert was to have taken place.

Originally posted by joeg

jesus christ... whats everyone's beef with fun???

It really has to do with security there is only a one lane road that leads up to the concert site. It's really the promoters fault for not using their heads.

Originally posted by bigpoppanils

couldnt the county have denied the permit before tickets went on sale?!

Couldn't the people running this have gotten all their shit in order before putting the tickets on sale??? :blank:

And if refunds are issued... which I'm sure they will be... does that include the $15 for "convenience fees" and shipping charges? I'm sure it does not... Great. By buying tickets early in an effort to save up to $20 a pop, I'm getting fucked out of $15 a pop... excellent... :blank:

Originally posted by mattm2o

It really has to do with security there is only a one lane road that leads up to the concert site. It's really the promoters fault for not using their heads.

i went to a show once with one access road. the layout was a bit different, but we had to sit in traffic for 13 hours to go 25 miles. it was an interesting traffic jam.

Originally posted by tunnelbandit

I'd be upset.

How much were they each?

hmm they came to about 190 a piece, then with the fees and all all added up to 430.. i just got them today when i was planning to call after to work and cancel.. these people better refund:mad:

Originally posted by tastyt

This is so annoying... I just want to know either way. Can't they get their fucking act in order already??? Sheesh... :mad:

tell me about it $430 later and i can't even plan my weekend.. I live in long island so its about a 2 hour drive but i feel real bad for the people that have spent even more money on ways to get out here.. definitely a crock of shit

Field Day Organizers Have Only Three Days To Find New Venue

06.03.2003 7:56 PM EDT

_Organizers are scrambling to find a last-minute alternate venue for the Field Day Music Festival, with Giants Stadium the most likely possibility, according to sources close to the event.

Promoters could not obtain a permit for their original site, in Suffolk County, New York, because they couldn't supply the additional 200 law enforcement officers that county officials deemed necessary to patrol this weekend's two-day festival, slated to feature the Beastie Boys, Radiohead, the Roots, N.E.R.D. and Beck (see "Beasties, Radiohead Need A Few Good Men To Police Their Show").

The town of Riverhead was willing to provide around 75 police officers and expected to get additional help from Suffolk County and possibly the state, but when it became clear that neither would be pitching in, the Suffolk County health commissioner announced that he would not provide a permit. Last week organizers vowed to fight on in the face of that decision, but now they're looking for another venue to house the festival, which is expected to draw 50,000 people.

"The access to the proposed site is on a rural road and there would have been a significant number of police required to address traffic control issues," said county attorney Derrick Robinson, who added that the county wanted to avoid the type of situation that occurred at Bonnaroo outside of Memphis, where there was a 16-mile backup on the highway. "Can you imagine a 16-mile backup on the Long Island Expressway on the weekend with people going up to the Hamptons?"

An attorney for Field Day promoter Andrew Dreskin said the county's demands were excessive and geared toward making sure the event wouldn't happen. Dreskin earlier said that if the county derailed the show, he had "a fleet of attorneys chomping at the bit to sue."

—Jon Wiederhorn

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1472258/20030603/radiohead.jhtml?headlines=true