Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Depeche Mode

loraine

Had the chance to see them in New York City. I have to admit they sounded great but my one complaint was the song selection. They practically played the whole new album. What ever happened to playing your biggest hits such as "People Are People" and "Strangelove"? Don't get me wrong they're an awesome band but would it kill them to throw in a classic or two?

No Strangelove or People Are People last night. I understand some want to hear the classics, but if you saw their last tour, they pretty much played all their big singles.....so I was not disappointed with their setlist. Standout cuts for me last night were......Walking In My Shoes, The Bottom Line (beautiful acoustic guitar version), It's No Good, In Your Room and the always-vigorous Enjoy The Silence.

how did the concert go? check your PM's BTW smile.gif

------------------

Peace,

DIGITAL 7

Respect the Floori.d.a. scene

-------------------------

"To The South Side, To The South Side, To The South Side, To The South Side!"

AIM: digit960

Yes yes, how was it???? Do tell. As for us. . .The little enjoyed the parks quite a bit over the week end. He's tall enough to ride some of the cooler rides now so he was pretty proud about that. heh heh heh smile.gif

Patrick could probably give you a complete tracklisting as I shamefully didn't know all of the titles of the songs they played.

They started off with an intro of "Dream On" and played "The Dead of Night" as the first song of the night.

Highlights of the night were "I feel Loved" "Personal Jesus" and "Enjoy the Silence."

I really liked it when they performed "It's no good" and in the background was a video for the song where a waitress who Dave is hitting on leaves w/ the other two guys from the group instead of him.

Overall it was a great concert, not a huge spectacle like most are these days but as I like to think less is more. DM mixed it up by playing both new and old songs.

I know this review isn't great but hey hope it helps!

cwm11.gif

Originally posted by loraine:

Patrick could probably give you a complete tracklisting as I shamefully didn't know all of the titles of the songs they played.

They started off with an intro of "Dream On" and played "The Dead of Night" as the first song of the night.

I really liked it when they performed "It's no good" and in the background was a video for the song where a waitress who Dave is hitting on leaves w/ the other two guys from the group instead of him.

Overall it was a great concert, not a huge spectacle like most are these days but as I like to think less is more. DM mixed it up by playing both new and old songs.

cwm11.gif

Testing my DM-trainspotting abilities are you Loraine? hehe let me see.....to the best of my knowledge......not totally accurate in terms of order, but this is exactly what was played:

Intro - Dream On

The Dead Of Night

Walking In My Shoes

Halo

Clean

The Sweetest Condition

When The Body Speaks

Enjoy The Silence

Waiting For The Night

The Bottom Line *absolute highlight for me*

Home

In Your Room

It's No Good

Black Celebration

I Feel You

Dream On

I Feel Loved

Personal Jesus

Never Let Me Down Again

Freelove

That's what it was, even though I totally forgot what was in the encore besides Never Let Me Down.....but anyway, that's all the stuff they played. 6 from the new album, 3 from Ultra, 3 from Faith & Devotion, FIVE from Violator, 1 from Music For The Masses and 1 from Black Celebration. I found it interesting that over 50% of the show was comprised of Exciter and a Violator redux. It was cool to hear them whip out more "obscure" tracks from Violator like Clean and Halo....as well as the aforementioned acoustic version of The Bottom Line from Ultra, a track I never paid that much attention to before. It was really cool, there was a time-lapse photo of a landscape of the desert Southwest going on in the background during this song.....for some reason it really touched me, I never quite *felt* the lyrics to that song as much as I did Saturday night. Also, as Loraine mentioned, the video they showed during It's No Good was great....Gahan went into this diner alone and thought the cute girl behind the counter wanted him....and then Gore and Fletcher go in and then the girl completely forgets about Gahan and leaves with those two while Gahan sits there looking all pathetic. LOL let's see....during In Your Room, the screen showed this little goldfish flitting about near the top while this big hammerhead shark continually went around in circles on the bottom. I wondered what they were trying to get at with that; I thought the shark was going to devour the little fish in the end but it never happened, they both just kept swimming. Waiting For The Night was really trippy, the screen had continuous close ups of this water dropping with the waves emanating on a black background.....awesome. Damn, I just love this band. Everything sounded as fresh as ever, and they were energetic with positive, fun stage presence.....this band is timeless, as relevant today as it ever was before.

great review, mad impressed with the magical trainspotting ability cwm4.gif i wish i would have gone to the show

------------------

Peace,

DIGITAL 7

Respect the Floori.d.a. scene

AIM: digit960

[This message has been edited by digital7 (edited 07-10-2001).]

Archived