Clubplanet Nightlife Community

is techno just not feasible in s. fl??

diegonyc

Aside from the conference, which is 5 days out the whopping 365. why is it that South FL just won't take a chance?

i know miami and south fl. in general is trance heavy, there's no denying that.

just curious when the last time any of the top techno djs played in miami?

hawtin, vath, garnier, cox, mills, slater, the list goes on.

what's the issue(s)?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you hear of Magical May Daze that took place at the Ice Palace Film Studios? Same place where they had Global Gathering last year...the promoters seem to keep it very hush hush until a few weeks before the event takes place. Then they start announcing these huge parties when everyone has made other plans, i.e.-Magical May Daze took place during Memorial Weekend and I heard it wasn't all that. Their timing and preparation for these events really sucks.

The demand is here, its just whether or not they can deliver what we want.

Space put together an event a few years ago called Mecca and it was awesome, maybe they can do something like that in the near future...HINT-HINT for Spacious and the rest of the clan.

:deal:

being one of the only techno djs based here in miami, i can understand your frustration. i do believe that miami is coming around. it's just taking some time. i believe in being open to the miami peeps and not portraying an elitist techno attitude. you'll be seeing some of the people you mentioned back in miami soon :) techno IS happening in miami. it will just take time for it to really hit. but faith is in effect and the support is picking up some speed. but, i do feel your pain. bookings here @ home for me sometimes seem to be pretty infrequent. but, we roll w/ the punches.

paz,

stryke

Originally posted by clubchikee

Did you hear of Magical May Daze that took place at the Ice Palace Film Studios? Same place where they had Global Gathering last year...the promoters seem to keep it very hush hush until a few weeks before the event takes place. Then they start announcing these huge parties when everyone has made other plans, i.e.-Magical May Daze took place during Memorial Weekend and I heard it wasn't all that. Their timing and preparation for these events really sucks.

Space put together an event a few years ago called Mecca and it was awesome, maybe they can do something like that in the near future...HINT-HINT for Spacious and the rest of the clan.

what :confused:

Originally posted by clubchikee

Neither Mecca nor Magical Mazydaze were techno events...I dont get what your trying to say:confused:

we're trying to support the techno scene as much as possible

hence bringing down Lopera from Colombia this Saturday Night

check out the Lopera post

we'll see if "TECHNO" has support or not

only time will tell ...

I'm gonna get shit on for this, but what Diego is suggesting is having a techno DJ in a club...not an all ages festival...which most of this board isn't into...plus, the clubchick is right, these magical maydayze promoters spring this shit a few weeks before it happens, when most people have other plans made already...maybe they announce it elsewhere, but not on hi traffic boards like this one, and this one

It would be great, but lets face it, the majority of the Miami clubbers haven't got a clue, and would wonder where their For An Angel remix was. I love it though when Space 34 takes a chance and lets Greg play out...the crowd that sticks around loves it...but you see a mad exodus of the pillheads who get all tweaked out when their routine is broken..

What I am trying to say is that to put together any kind of event is a process in itself, regardless what type of electronic music it may be. House, Trance, Techno, Breaks whatever.

Miami is actually very House AND Trance heavy.

There's a lot of great talent in this city, its too bad Miamians aren't as educated about the scene as I've seen and read that some of you are.

Originally posted by pod

I'm gonna get shit on for this, but what Diego is suggesting is having a techno DJ in a club...not an all ages festival...which most of this board isn't into...plus, the clubchick is right, these magical maydayze promoters spring this shit a few weeks before it happens, when most people have other plans made already...maybe they announce it elsewhere, but not on hi traffic boards like this one, and this one

It would be great, but lets face it, the majority of the Miami clubbers haven't got a clue, and would wonder where their For An Angel remix was. I love it though when Space 34 takes a chance and lets Greg play out...the crowd that sticks around loves it...but you see a mad exodus of the pillheads who get all tweaked out when their routine is broken..

You know what POD as you were posting this, I responded with a post of my own, I'm glad someone sees eye to eye with me. I'm a die-hard electronic music fan, ESPECIALLY techno, trance (my all time fav) and I have a growing interest in House (thanks to Mr. Oscar G). Not only does this go for the festival's but also in the clubs, and to be honest I would rather it be a 21 and older event thank you very much...can't deal with the kiddies.

They did try and do something that was really dope....BIG DJ LITTLE CLUB. Not strictly techno, but they did bring in techno DJs on a regular basis. Christian Smith, Nigel Richards, Pete Shaker Bones and Donald Gluade all played there.

#1 Problem - PROMOTION, PROMOTION, PROMOTION

#2 Problem - LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION

#3 Problem - Weekday events are hard to fill

#4 Problem - Underground Music Education......Seems to me that when you do have promotion/location/weekend dates most of the time you have the same DJ rotation coming in and out of Florida. This is not a rip on these acts that I am about to mention, but it would be nice to have diversity. I could pretty accurately predict the schedule Miami will see throughout the year. Here goes....

Deep Dish

Saeed and Palash

Tiesto

Picotto

PVD

Danny Howells

Jon Cowan

Every once and a while you will see someone that doesn't usaully spin here.....(Felix for example)....let's hope what Strkye said about the scene coming around happens. It always seems on the verge. Dade work some of that old Shadow lounge magic. There was such a great and diverse rotation of talent coming in and out of there. I think in the span of a year I caught Green Velvet, Gluade, Aquaviva, Eric Davenport, DJ Dan...etc all at Shadow. And from a consumer perspective please, please, please start promotion a little further in advance...and keep it it consistant....it really helps us get out to the events.

Originally posted by seasunz

sat night is not "AN ALL AGES AFFAIR"

FYI

But still, it's out in the middle of nowhere, and on a night where Space 34 has major guest DJs, plus George Acosta surfacing after two months at Maze...shoulda booked him at a smaller club on the beach, maybe in conjunction with the PM Sessions people, who are on very good terms with a lot of South American talent...

As for techno being for purists, it's hardly the case...I'm into house, some trance, and techno...DH certainly integrates techno into his sets, but he's not what I would call a techno DJ.

As for boring, tell that to Stryke!

Originally posted by southof5th

techno is boring and for purists...

sorry...

danny howells plays some techno but the very funky kind

lol, boring and for purists.

if that's what you think.. are you basing your opinion on a recent night out?

Bottom line for DiegoNYC, Miami is a routine kind of place that sticks to the familiar and what works. Hopefully, we can get some fresh meat into the clubs from here on in...if there's enough interest to do so.

Miami needs some music 101 education and they need to experience more diversified styles and sounds. I'm all for it. I always like to try new things!

i think it's a shame that most promoter are bringing in the same talent or the same genre of music. not taking anything away from the hard work involved, trust me, i know how stressful it is... but on the flipside, wouldn't it be ideal to do a monthly or bi-monthly of different types of dance music?

coming from a person who appreciates all kinds of dance music, hearing these same djs over and over would be overkill. i am sure some of you (not all of u) can agree to some extent.

in no way am i trying to start any controversy of genre wars. i was just curious why miami won't take a chance on techno.

:hat:

Originally posted by diegonyc

i think it's a shame that most promoter are bringing in the same talent or the same genre of music. not taking anything away from the hard work involved, trust me, i know how stressful it is... but on the flipside, wouldn't it be ideal to do a monthly or bi-monthly of different types of dance music?

coming from a person who appreciates all kinds of dance music, hearing these same djs over and over would be overkill. i am sure some of you (not all of u) can agree to some extent.

in no way am i trying to start any controversy of genre wars. i was just curious why miami won't take a chance on techno.

:hat:

true that!

it gets old listening to same DJs over and over again. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by tranzwhore

house music is what is in right now and dominates the scene down here. i'm not bashing house, i'm just a trance head and want more options for our genre

i beg to differ.

turn it on 93.1 right now

you're a trancehead and you want more options than what u have now???

jesus, i feel real bad for the techno heads...

they have absolute nothing right now but an occasional 2-3 hour set by stryke. FRUSTRATING IT HAS TO BE!

i beg to differ.

they have absolute nothing right now but an occasional 2-3 hour set by stryke. FRUSTRATING IT HAS TO BE!

I dont think most trance fans would call 93.1 a good representation of our music. There are many trance DJ's that never come to the U.S. at all. Tiesto and PVD are the only non-local, international trance talent we get down here on a regular basis.

i beg to differ.

I agree, but it must be ESPECIALLY frustrating for the DJ's who want to put their music and their talent out there for the recognition they deserve.

I hate to listen to 93.1 unless its after hours and by that time I'm out partying my ass off. But if you take a moment to listen to what they got (afterhours that is), its well worth it. I don't know if they're afraid of the feedback they'll get from the audience or what, but 93.1 should air more variety.

As for the promoters, yes they work very hard at what they do, but they lack adventure. I know changing it up a bit has its risks and for the most part they book talent that has proven to pull in the crowds and the big bucks - why else would they do it. They're giving Miami what they want. But until Maimi's club scene is more educated musically, all we can do is hope for the better. Whats better than great tunes for all to enjoy?