Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Jeff Mills Review?

This was the first time I have ever heard this guy. He was recommended to me by some friends so we checked it out........

This man is INSANE.

Its a little hard to catch a beat because he is SO fast and there are so many different things going on at once.....but he is really good. There were a few times where it was just crazy and I haven't danced like that in so long.

Then there were a few moments when we were just tapping our feet and listening.....he plays a lot of rave/trance/underground that is really good.......but like I said....a little hard to dance too. But when we were dancing, he was playing some really hard house that was just sick.

I would definately check him out again next time he comes 'round.

Guest djdrip2002
Originally posted by PCR

haven't seen him myself but I've heard he is the only DJ (or one of the very few) that uses 3 turntables...

:laugh:

Function totally stole the night. I caught about 2 hours of Mills, and thought it was steady, but wasnt really feelin most of it.. the last 30 minutes or so were pretty good.. but function? forget about it.. best set i've heard in a looooooong time, better than anything I heard in detroit, and better than anything I've heard all year for that matter. He kept it hard, AND he kept it interesting.. lots of textures, and pretty much flawless mixing. He was totally workin the faithful that stuck around for him. Had to bounce at 7, but really didnt want to leave...

as long as function is on the bill next time mills is there, sign me up. mills alone, think I'll pass.

Originally posted by jessie739

he plays a lot of rave/trance/underground that is really good.......but like I said....a little hard to dance too. But when we were dancing, he was playing some really hard house that was just sick.

ooooof, so the man really has dropped the ball eh? :laugh::hat:

haven't seen him myself but I've heard he is the only DJ (or one of the very few) that uses 3 turntables...

are you kidding? that is really funny...you must be new-skool.

..and i'd have to agree that function was the spotlight of last night. as a whole, jeff mills' set was a disappointment.

btw, i'm really hating this electro bullshit..

Originally posted by sweetfun

So, how was Jeff last night? First time I ever missed him in NY... :(

well..

u coulda called if u really wanted to know :tongue:

But indeed..like i told everyone...Function was gonna rip shit up and indeed he did.

Mike: im glad u come out bro and glad u enjoyed yerself...i'll see u soon and shit don't worry

PCR: Jeff Mills pretty much set the "trend" of spinning on 3 turntables. The reason behind that is because he is known for going through 50-100 records a set..which is why he ultilizes a third turntable. Jeff feels that only the "good parts" of records should be played hence why goes through 50-100 because even like a 2 min part of a record, he will incorporate somehow, someway into his set.

Jeff is definitely the man...

but Function WAS the man saturday night.

Originally posted by lasix

Function totally stole the night. I caught about 2 hours of Mills, and thought it was steady, but wasnt really feelin most of it.. the last 30 minutes or so were pretty good.. but function? forget about it.. best set i've heard in a looooooong time, better than anything I heard in detroit, and better than anything I've heard all year for that matter. He kept it hard, AND he kept it interesting.. lots of textures, and pretty much flawless mixing. He was totally workin the faithful that stuck around for him. Had to bounce at 7, but really didnt want to leave...

as long as function is on the bill next time mills is there, sign me up. mills alone, think I'll pass.

i heard that function is quoths COUSIN, ask him to keep you updated next time hes around

hmmm I was there from 3 to 5 so Im guessing I heard Mills. I have never heard either before...so I guess as a first timer with Mills I thought he was really good........maybe to you all who have heard him before, you know he can do better.

Guess Ill have to compare next time he comes around.

Originally posted by echostar

i heard that function is quoths COUSIN, ask him to keep you updated next time hes around

what a fuckin dick :laugh:

and yea...function is my cousin :tongue:

how is the pseudo thing going?

ok...that's enough....

I am not new to the scene though, but it's true that I don't pay enough attention to who's who etc...

quoth: thanks for educating me, and not making fun of me.

Mills was aight. I thought he would have went more funky and minimal but he stayed hard (for at the least the time I was there), which was kind of annoying.....i liked that old 90's KTU tribal joint he put into one of his beats...left kinda early, didnt hear function. hopefully next time.

having never seen Mills and giving his rep, i was alittle let down. He never really had it to a real hard level( sven vath). As for function, his mixing was tight but his set lost energy and he trailed into a softer set as he closed out. Still in all had a great time and met alot of cool people.