Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Save Philly!!!

alright people, here's the deal...

first of all, no, i am not a new member. i am just using a new user name so you all focus on my message.

secondly, i have done most of the clubs in philadelphia, partied in new york often, and danced through the morning in the best clubs in miami.

so why am i writing you ask? i was just wondering...WHAT HAPPENED TO PHILLY!!!

people, i am tired of getting all amped up to go out for some special dj here, only to have it die down at 5am! where are you all going? to sleep? to some boring afterparty?

somehow the scene became all about being seen in your new outfit, and less about the music and meeting new people. look, i have the designer glasses and the private label clothes, but i check my attitude at the door and walk in ready to party. isn't the music what started the scene to begin with? isn't the music the most important part of the night?

no more conplaining about philly djs, because this saturday (june 14th) at transit TIESTO will be spinning. and for those of you who don't know, he is the #1 dj in the world right now. i am not advertising for him or for transit, just trying to spark some life back into the scene.

if we start showing support for the clubs here, and stop complaining about every little thing, more big nights will be planned. for real now, was twilo any nicer than anything here? NO!!! it was a sick place because people went to DANCE!!! and that other excuse about the dancefloor being all gay...yeah, yeah, i know the mass of shirtless men makes it difficult to move, but if you all stuck around past 5am it would stay mixed and we could ALL have fun!

in short, get your @sses to transit this saturday because i want to party!!!

CAN I GET SOME SUPPORT?!?!

I don't really think Philly has fallen off much. Its not what it was 2-3 years ago, but when you look at it, NYC or Jersey arent either. I think its the clubbing scene itself thats falling off. Its tough to judge the Philly scene against any others because of PA's horrible laws with closing times and alcohol sales, and age limits and so on. They make it tough for the venues themselves. Transit has been doing good lately with big time names and staying open later than 2, or 3:30 (which is how late 95% of the clubs in the city stay open). Shampoo's new Sunday party is pretty good. Well-known remixer John Farrugio spins the main room, and has been ripping it up. Power 99s DOC B has been one of the best things to happen to the Velvet Underground in a long time. He knows how to work the crowds. And starting this Sunday...the weekly foam party is back!

Originally posted by mangos

I don't really think Philly has fallen off much. Its not what it was 2-3 years ago, but when you look at it, NYC or Jersey arent either. I think its the clubbing scene itself thats falling off. Its tough to judge the Philly scene against any others because of PA's horrible laws with closing times and alcohol sales, and age limits and so on. They make it tough for the venues themselves. Transit has been doing good lately with big time names and staying open later than 2, or 3:30 (which is how late 95% of the clubs in the city stay open). Shampoo's new Sunday party is pretty good. Well-known remixer John Farrugio spins the main room, and has been ripping it up. Power 99s DOC B has been one of the best things to happen to the Velvet Underground in a long time. He knows how to work the crowds. And starting this Sunday...the weekly foam party is back!

all true, all true...i just think if people did a lot less complaining and more partying, it could be alot better.

supporting your local scene not only means going out whenever a bigass headliner comes into town... more importantly it means going out and supporting LOCAL TALENT. there is a shit ton of talented djs in our city that dont get the recognition and respect they deserve from the people who live here. there are plenty of decent places and parties here that go on during the week and they arent hard to find out about.

sure go out and see big-named DJs when they come to town. but dont forget about those of us who live and work here that are trying to improve our scene.

Originally posted by nifer

supporting your local scene not only means going out whenever a bigass headliner comes into town... more importantly it means going out and supporting LOCAL TALENT. there is a shit ton of talented djs in our city that dont get the recognition and respect they deserve from the people who live here. there are plenty of decent places and parties here that go on during the week and they arent hard to find out about.

sure go out and see big-named DJs when they come to town. but dont forget about those of us who live and work here that are trying to improve our scene.

absolutely...but you strengthen my point that the philly crowd is so picky that most won't go out unless they know the dj and the club happens to be the popular club of the month.

All I have to say is AMEN!

I have been in the scene for six years now. I can agree with the fact that yes maybe rave is dying I think Hip Hop is taking a big majority of Philly over. But why do we have to let this happen? I think if the promoters would get their butts in check, and great spaces like Shampoo, Transit dont shoot me for saying this but even egypt (Its a nice club, just crappy people) would get the DJ's they were having 3 or 4 years ago I think it would pump the scene back up.

I give alot of credit to maneo.com, they have done an awesome job with keeping people up-to-date of whats going on. And getting good DJ's here. And also giving DJ's like Donato, Adrock, Yuan, TJ the Dj awesome advertising and reconition they deserve. But im about to open a freaking club myself just to have something good around here. Instead of just the once-a-month outing it shouldnt be that way!

I will say I do see a good turn-out at some clubs, I think emerald city has done a good job but for the love of god they need to get somewhere to chill, I feel like im in my HS auditorium.

I think we could get the scene back if we just got people who were into the music back into the scene, a huge problem is the people who were in the scene feel out of the scene b/c they just partied to hard and forgot that it was for the music not the other stuff......

I for one miss the old scene, its just flat out cheese now....:eek:

Agreed...but when the local talent here is compared to the local talent in other places, we're slacking. The residents in NYC and Jersey are some of the biggest names in dance music. JP, Tony Draper, Mike Rizzo, DJ Moody, and so on are all big name producers/remixers that are residents in NYC. And there are many many more... Jersey has names like Mike Macaluso, Richie Santana, and so on as residents in their clubs. The biggest names we have are Robbie Tronco and John Farrugio....and thats pretty much it. Granted, Robbie is one of the best selling dance artists of all time and a great DJ...after him, there's not much pulling people from outside of Philly to come here.

Agreed...but when the local talent here is compared to the local talent in other places, we're slacking.

i think you need to go out more in philly. and i'm not talking about shampoo and transit

josh wink, king britt, nigel richards, tigerhook corp, worship crew, dieselboy, sub crew, etc etc etc. i could go on and on about the local talent we have here. just b/c they dont cater to the mainstream crowd doesnt make them sub-par.

The biggest names we have are Robbie Tronco and John Farrugio....and thats pretty much it. Granted, Robbie is one of the best selling dance artists of all time and a great DJ...after him, there's not much pulling people from outside of Philly to come here.

By any chance are you John Farruigo??? Because you sure sound like it...What has John Farruigo done? Nothing musical as far as I know...Philly has huge industry names, however ignorant people looking to make a name for themselves do not acknowledge them!! Here is a list of solid industry producers WHO have REAL tracks on REAL labels.

Josh Wink

King Britt

Randall Jones

Dieselboy

Adam Freemer

Sapphirecut

Phil Charles

Victor Duplix

Nigel Richards

Robbie Tronco

Tigerhook Corp.

Ben Camp

Dozia

DJ Loctgruv

Worship Crew

Philly Soul Collective

NUFF SAID!

Originally posted by gabe32

By any chance are you John Farruigo??? Because you sure sound like it...What has John Farruigo done? Nothing musical as far as I know...Philly has huge industry names, however ignorant people looking to make a name for themselves do not acknowledge them!! Here is a list of solid industry producers WHO have REAL tracks on REAL labels.

Josh Wink

King Britt

Randall Jones

Dieselboy

Adam Freemer

Sapphirecut

Phil Charles

Victor Duplix

Nigel Richards

Robbie Tronco

Tigerhook Corp.

Ben Camp

Dozia

DJ Loctgruv

Worship Crew

Philly Soul Collective

NUFF SAID!

What has John Faruggio done?? You're nuts...he's a well known remixer in the dance music industry. And yes, those DJs are all decent. But I'll back up the point of people saying our local DJs not comparing to Jersey and NYC's. People in Philly know those names....but the residents in NJ and NYC are known all over the WORLD. Jonathan Peters, Tony Draper, Richie Santana, Johnny Vicious, Mike Macaluso, and well I could list names for a while. I hate to say it, but outside of Tronco, no Philly DJ has world-wide rep. like those guys. Some people out of the area would know Richards, Dieselboy, and Wink...but they just arent the kinds of big names like NJ and NYC pulls.

What has John Faruggio done?? You're nuts...he's a well known remixer in the dance music industry. And yes, those DJs are all decent. But I'll back up the point of people saying our local DJs not comparing to Jersey and NYC's. People in Philly know those names....but the residents in NJ and NYC are known all over the WORLD. Jonathan Peters, Tony Draper, Richie Santana, Johnny Vicious, Mike Macaluso, and well I could list names for a while. I hate to say it, but outside of Tronco, no Philly DJ has world-wide rep. like those guys. Some people out of the area would know Richards, Dieselboy, and Wink...but they just arent the kinds of big names like NJ and NYC pulls.

:laugh:

is all i can do in response to this post

edit: seriously though, if youre going to comapre philly to nyc (or even jersey for that matter) you could have used much better examples than the ones you have provided to support your claim. tony draper vs josh?! :laugh::rolleyes:

You are fool!!! please get a clue next time...

Here's Winks Schedule availible on amonly.com. You don't get any bigger than this..

Josh Wink

May 9 in Burlington, VT at Club Metronome

May 10 in Tampa, FL at Snatch at Hyde Park Café

May 16 in Pittsburgh, PA at Club Laga

May 17 in Quebec City, Quebec at Centre des Foires

May 24 in Washington, DC at WHFS Festival

May 24 in Miami, FL at Ice Palace

Jun 6 in Montreal, Quebec at Aria

Jun 7 in Toronto, Ontario at System

Jun 13 in Chicago, IL at Smart Bar

Jun 14 in Nashville, TN at Bonneroo

Jun 15 in Nashville, TN at Bonneroo

Jun 20 in San Diego, CA at Decco’s

Jun 21 in Seattle, WA at Noiselab

Jun 27 in Atlanta, GA at Crescent Room

Jun 28 in Baltimore, MD at Trust

July 12 in Los Angeles, CA at Trust

July 17 in Ann Arbor, MI at Necto

Originally posted by mpn

Here's Winks Schedule availible on amonly.com. You don't get any bigger than this..

Josh Wink

May 9 in Burlington, VT at Club Metronome

May 10 in Tampa, FL at Snatch at Hyde Park Café

May 16 in Pittsburgh, PA at Club Laga

May 17 in Quebec City, Quebec at Centre des Foires

May 24 in Washington, DC at WHFS Festival

May 24 in Miami, FL at Ice Palace

Jun 6 in Montreal, Quebec at Aria

Jun 7 in Toronto, Ontario at System

Jun 13 in Chicago, IL at Smart Bar

Jun 14 in Nashville, TN at Bonneroo

Jun 15 in Nashville, TN at Bonneroo

Jun 20 in San Diego, CA at Decco’s

Jun 21 in Seattle, WA at Noiselab

Jun 27 in Atlanta, GA at Crescent Room

Jun 28 in Baltimore, MD at Trust

July 12 in Los Angeles, CA at Trust

July 17 in Ann Arbor, MI at Necto

hrmm... id like to see that john f.'s schedule for the summer

hrmm... id like to see that john f.'s schedule for the summer

He spins 4 nights a week in Philly...Thursdays - Sunday nights. Doesnt leave many open dates for out of area dates. Ya don't have to like him. I'm just saying, you can't compare NYC or Jersey residents. Philly has 2-3 big names at the most. One block of NYC has that many...

He spins 4 nights a week in Philly...Thursdays - Sunday nights. Doesnt leave many open dates for out of area dates. Ya don't have to like him. I'm just saying, you can't compare NYC or Jersey residents. Philly has 2-3 big names at the most. One block of NYC has that many...

funny how this guy supossedly spins in philly so much and NOT ONE of us phillyheads know who the hell he is... hrmmm.... big-name DJ... ok.

and what kind of DJ would chose to play the same spot over and over and over again instead of playing around the country?

you crack me up

Just because a DJ doesnt spin outside of their local scene, doesnt mean they arent talented. You previously said Robbie Tronco is a big name DJ right? I agree with you on that...he's one of the best producers/DJs in the game. How often do you hear him playing outside of Philly? He maybe plays outside of Philly on big nights...last year he only left Philly a few times (NYE, thanksgiving eve @ Exit with Oakenfold and Johnny Vicious, WMC, and so on). And to date he hasnt played outside of Philly/South Jersey. Does that make him a bad DJ? No, he just choses not to leave his local scene. Like many other DJs in many other areas, that doenst make him, or Faruggio a bad DJ. And if you're so big on the Philly scene, and a "Philly Head" then why dont you know that Faruggio spins 2 nights a week at Shampoo and every other week spots at Envy, Evolution, Deco, and Egypt?

P.S.--- If you're saying he's not a big name DJ, then that proves my point Philly has none compared to NYC and Jersey. Then theres only Dieselboy, Tronco, and Wink that anyone outside of the local scene will even know. If its not one thing, its the other.

:hat:

Someone has an ego problem...Dude I would not be bragging about playing at Egypt. Just stop humoring us, do yourself a favor please!:laugh: I think we are all laughed out...This has to be the funniest post in the world. I hope you are really not John Farriugo, I hope you are someone that doesn't like him and you are just bashing him, cause if you are really John, you need a reality and ego check!

No I'm not Johnny F. Just a fan of hearing him spin. I think everyone on this post digressed a lil too much as it is. My point originally was that the Philly dance scene doesnt have as much to offer when compared to NYC or Jersey. The even sadder part is, when it comes to hip-hop, I think its the other way around.

I hate to say it, but outside of Tronco, no Philly DJ has world-wide rep. like those guys. Some people out of the area would know Richards, Dieselboy, and Wink...but they just arent the kinds of big names like NJ and NYC pulls.

are you serious? i'm from ny and i've known about those djs for a long time. Everyone knows who Nigel Richards is. My x-boyfriend who's from Detroit use to bring him over for parties back in the mid 90s. i know people from cali where there's or was a big jungle scene and they even know of nigel and of 611 records.

if it makes you feel better...the nyc scene is at it's worst but there are some exceptions.