Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Why Do You Think The Scene Is Dead

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to sum it up a bunch of newbies who would of never been involved in the scene until E blew up in 2000, decided i want to try this (E) and venture out to NYC. Most of the people have no respect for the scene, music,people or whatever it might be. Most are nothing but followers, the days of originality such as the club kids are long gone. granted they were whacked but they kept it real. they might of done it for attn. or to stick out but they didnt give a shit. now u have clones who do nothing but follow one another sweating the new hottest MP3 and the in place to be.

Originally posted by wakeup

to sum it up a bunch of newbies who would of never been involved in the scene until E blew up in 2000, decided i want to try this (E) and venture out to NYC. Most of the people have no respect for the scene, music,people or whatever it might be. Most are nothing but followers, the days of originality such as the club kids are long gone. granted they were whacked but they kept it real. they might of done it for attn. or to stick out but they didnt give a shit. now u have clones who do nothing but follow one another sweating the new hottest MP3 and the in place to be.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Well said... :aright:

:aright: :aright: :aright: :aright:

I personally have never said that NYC is dead please far from it. Ithink there isnt a problem with the scene at all. To me theres just nothing huge for lack of a better word iN NYC. But there are so many great venues and DJs t hear in NYC. I fucing love it here.

What makes a great night at a CLUB for me "MUSIC PLEASE". Whats funny is that if a "regular" plays a track thats old or overplayed then its a crime, bt if a "SUPERSTAR" DJ plays it suddenly it "WAS A GREAT SUPRISE". HOUSE MUSIC ALL NIGHT LONG PLEASE.

Originally posted by dbolboy

Mayor Gulianni (sp?)

fuck that Rudy picked his battles (tunnel, twilo) and left the rest of the city alone.

Fuckin Bloomberg just hates them all and thinks that everyone should be home watching their stocks on his bloomberg Tv network all wkend long.

I get what you're coming from, but the only problem with your arguement is that line has been thrown around since about 96 - 97. E didn't blow up in 2000. You're at least 4 or 5 years off the pace with that one.

I think what you're going through is classic jadedness. It happens to pretty much everybody at one point or another.

Anyways, it's funny this topic came up here, I just wrote a rather lengthy article on a different site about why the rave scene died. As much as i'm sure people don't like to admit it - the rave scene and the club scene are very very closely tied together.

it went a little something like this:

I think to truely understand the lifecycle of cultural occurances such as raving - you have to look at similar trends throughout the past several decades. It seems as if every decade or so has it's own unique spin on the perticular sound that speaks to that generation. As a new generation comes up, they take the influences of the past, and adapt it to a new and innovative sound. Jazz gave way to rock and roll, which gave way to 60s psychedelics, which gave way to disco and funk, which gave way to the electro pop of the 80s, which gave way to electronic music. Granted, it is a little bit more complicated then that, yes... and none of the trends ever really *died*, but basicly as the boundries of the predominant trends are pushed further and further, they eventually give way to something new.

Keeping this in mind, I want you to look at electronic music from back in the late 80s/early 90s, and compare it to what's out there today. Yes, while some similarities can be drawn - it's a completely different entity. The music that fueled the legendary nasa parties, and liquid sky battles "under the bridge", and the storm raves, and etc etc - just isn't around anymore. Therefor, a logical conclusion can be drawn that since the vehicle for those parties is no more, then those parties are no more.

Is that to say that electronic music is dead? Obviously not. Is that to say that the clubbing experience, and the use of electronic music as a vehicle for social and cultural expression is dead? Obviously not. However, the context in which that social and cultural expression has changed. It has progressed to something other then what it was a decade ago, and I think for the most part it's a good thing. The music, and the way we use it to express ourselves is a manifestation of a collective social consciousness of sorts - to deny the fact that this consciousness progresses would be to say that humans never progress, thier opinions never change, that the world around them never changes - which is, absurd at best.

So where am i going with all this? What is the point i'm trying to get at?

Yes - raving is dead. Let it rest in peace. It gave us a place to start off from as we progress forward socially, culturally, and musicly. It was great while it lasted - but now it's time to create something new in it's place.

basicly, all you have to do is change every instance of "raving" to "clubbing", and add a couple years to the timeline.

this conversation also got into the progression of electronic music as it hits mainstream media (most of the logical progression tends to go rave scene -> club scene -> pop world). I can post more of the conversation if anybody's interested, but it's a little lengthy - so i'm not going to bother right now.

Originally posted by silverbull

I personally have never said that NYC is dead please far from it. Ithink there isnt a problem with the scene at all. To me theres just nothing huge for lack of a better word iN NYC. But there are so many great venues and DJs t hear in NYC. I fucing love it here.

What makes a great night at a CLUB for me "MUSIC PLEASE". Whats funny is that if a "regular" plays a track thats old or overplayed then its a crime, bt if a "SUPERSTAR" DJ plays it suddenly it "WAS A GREAT SUPRISE". HOUSE MUSIC ALL NIGHT LONG PLEASE.

I don't like to say it, but i will say it.

nyc is dead.

if you really want to have a good time - stay away from the super clubs, and go to smaller things like tronic treatment. This $20-30-40/night soundfactory/exit shit is just done played out and weak.

i'm sure eventually something will come along to put us back on the map, but NYC hasn't been in true form for a couple years now. That's just how it is. Even more unfortunate is the fact that NYC isn't the only city having that problem. DC for example was probably one of the best cities on the east coast if you wanted to have a good time, then all the sudden the cops come around, start hasslin people - and now it sucks. (some people might argue that, but if I had to choose which was better between my best night in nyc, or a mediocre night at buzz, it would be a very very tough choice)

not trying to hijack the thread here, but another thing that needs to be taken into consideration is economy. Not just the US/Global economy, but the economy as it relates to the edm world. With headling DJs charging more for 1 night of music then some people make in an entire year, the prices to see those people get jacked up like crazy.

I think that's part of why the smaller, cheaper parties are so much more successful these days. To use tronic treatment again - those parties are always super cheap, and they always bring talent that far exceedes that which you'll find at the megaclubs. What you're left with is the choice to see a variety of DJs who are really pushing the bounds of dance music - for maybe $30 (admission, transportation, drinks), or go somewhere like soundfactory, and see the same DJ who's been playing for how many years now - and pay $30 just to get in the door?

i see understand your point but jadeness, hahahah not at all ive been in the scene since 91/92. so seen it grow and fall apart and it esp. fell apart right around early 2000 when the media started reporting about E

Originally posted by sinixstar

I get what you're coming from, but the only problem with your arguement is that line has been thrown around since about 96 - 97. E didn't blow up in 2000. You're at least 4 or 5 years off the pace with that one.

I think what you're going through is classic jadedness. It happens to pretty much everybody at one point or another.

Anyways, it's funny this topic came up here, I just wrote a rather lengthy article on a different site about why the rave scene died. As much as i'm sure people don't like to admit it - the rave scene and the club scene are very very closely tied together.

it went a little something like this:

basicly, all you have to do is change every instance of "raving" to "clubbing", and add a couple years to the timeline.

this conversation also got into the progression of electronic music as it hits mainstream media (most of the logical progression tends to go rave scene -> club scene -> pop world). I can post more of the conversation if anybody's interested, but it's a little lengthy - so i'm not going to bother right now.

I completely agree with your statement. I feel that yes, edm has reached a decline, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. It means, we are in that transitional period where new music is being experimented with and ultimately will be born. Things will go back underground and shortly will follow that path from underground, to club culture, to mainstream. I for one, am looking forward to this.

My question is, what does everyone think will be the new thing?

Shoooting around Williamsburg and E. Village, downtowmpo seems to be picking up. also, new wave and all things rock seem to be making a huge re-surgance.

I'd love to hear what other people think.

if you really want to have a good time - stay away from the super clubs, and go to smaller things like tronic treatment. This $20-30-40/night soundfactory/exit shit is just done played out and weak.

you dont even have to be that specific... stick to the weekday parties and you'll find that this city is still vibrant. it may not be superclubs anymore but the small parties have character and great music, if you are able to actually judge music adn not need hype to tell you who you should be listening to.

I think to truely understand the lifecycle of cultural occurances such as raving - you have to look at similar trends throughout the past several decades. It seems as if every decade or so has it's own unique spin on the perticular sound that speaks to that generation. As a new generation comes up, they take the influences of the past, and adapt it to a new and innovative sound. Jazz gave way to rock and roll, which gave way to 60s psychedelics, which gave way to disco and funk, which gave way to the electro pop of the 80s, which gave way to electronic music. Granted, it is a little bit more complicated then that, yes... and none of the trends ever really *died*, but basicly as the boundries of the predominant trends are pushed further and further, they eventually give way to something new.

Keeping this in mind, I want you to look at electronic music from back in the late 80s/early 90s, and compare it to what's out there today. Yes, while some similarities can be drawn - it's a completely different entity. The music that fueled the legendary nasa parties, and liquid sky battles "under the bridge", and the storm raves, and etc etc - just isn't around anymore. Therefor, a logical conclusion can be drawn that since the vehicle for those parties is no more, then those parties are no more.

Is that to say that electronic music is dead? Obviously not. Is that to say that the clubbing experience, and the use of electronic music as a vehicle for social and cultural expression is dead? Obviously not. However, the context in which that social and cultural expression has changed. It has progressed to something other then what it was a decade ago, and I think for the most part it's a good thing. The music, and the way we use it to express ourselves is a manifestation of a collective social consciousness of sorts - to deny the fact that this consciousness progresses would be to say that humans never progress, thier opinions never change, that the world around them never changes - which is, absurd at best.

So where am i going with all this? What is the point i'm trying to get at?

Yes - raving is dead. Let it rest in peace. It gave us a place to start off from as we progress forward socially, culturally, and musicly. It was great while it lasted - but now it's time to create something new in it's place.

:aright:

The scene hasn't evolved. People have gotten tired of the same repeated loops and saturated track clones. Every tech, trance, progressive and even my beloved deephouse sounds like something I've heard before. It's getting old. Time to innovate and move on. Dance music as we know it has run it's course.

Originally posted by silverbull

I wanna hear what are the reasons people on this board are always saying this.

just go to www.*************.com and see how many events take place every day in South Cali and then see what's going on here.

Even when once in blue moon i see a good party now it's like :damn, again cavity searches on the entrance and cops/securities breating behind my back ....

After partying in Berlin's clubs and having a blast on MAYDAY party in Germany local scene disgust me.... And its not bec we don't have a talents or good DJ's. Its because some old farts in a gov't made a decision to bury New York's nighlife , so YEAH it IS dead for me.

People ,get out of this cemetery , go to Europe , Ibiza and see the difference for yourself ....

i see understand your point but jadeness, hahahah not at all ive been in the scene since 91/92. so seen it grow and fall apart and it esp. fell apart right around early 2000 when the media started reporting about E

but the media started reporting about E long before 2000.

You can't blame drugs for the entire downfall of the scene, for the simple fact that they've ALWAYS been there. Yea, maybe drugs helped, but i don't buy for a second that if there was no E - that everything would be fine. It's simply not true. Having been in the scene since 91/92 - you should realize this, or what - you're going to try to tell me that E didn't exist until 2000? riiiight.

Everybody tries to blame the changes within the scene on the people who came up after them. It's understandable and all, but the fact remains that most people who point that finger, do so because they have changed, or the scene has changed - and people just aren't as big a part of it anymore. Something happens that makes them feel on some level alienated from the scene. They compare ther image of themselves to the kids that are comin up nowadays, and when they just don't feel they fit in the same way - they say "damn these little fucks! they're ruining everything!".

Well - no, they didn't ruin shit - they just changed the dynamic of the scene, that's what happens every so often. Get used to it.