Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Global Clubbing: Washington, D.C.

vicman

from xpander.nl

Global Clubbing: Washington, D.C.

"by Michael Braaten"

The District/Dee Cee

‘The District’, as it is known to those beyond its border, or ‘Dee Cee’, as it is known to residents, has had its ups and downs over the last two decades. From a seemingly endless reign over the city by former mayor Marion Barry (punctuated only by a brief prison sentence for narcotics possession, after which he was resoundingly re-elected), to its 1990s reemergence as a major cosmopolitan center on cultural par with NY, LA, SF and Chicago, to its current post-September Eleventh fortress-style lockdown, the city’s nightlife has grown dramatically. No longer is Washington (entirely) a staid, touristy spot with a virtual curfew of midnight. The city after dark and beyond the jersey barriers surrounding monuments and blue suit wearers of the power elite, the city has blossomed into a bustling metropolis with an ever-growing contingent of young residents eager to hit the town running weekend after weekend.

DC is possibly best known as the seat of power for United States: the home of presidents and congressman, lawyers and lobbyists, flacks and journalists. As such, it has arranged its most prominent landmarks around the US Capitol, a large domed building in the very center of the city. To its west is the National Mall, an enormous open lawn dedicated to the ideals embodied in the Constitution’s First Amendment. The freedom to assemble is practiced here by both fringe and mainstream, both right and left, radical and reactionary. Activists of all kinds congregate here regularly to petition their redress of grievances and pratice what is America’s most celebrated right: the right to complain, the right of Free Speech. Whether or not those in power bother to listen doesn’t matter. DC protests are lively and real and outsiders with a political agenda can make their feelings known, and regardless of what they are, someone is (usually) bound to strike conversation. In these times of trouble and strife, a weekend trip based around a large-scale protest is a surefire way to see the city at its liveliest

Smithsonian

Surrounding the Mall is the great Smithsonian, Washington’s jewel of publicly funded high arts and culture. On the north side, the National Galley of Art, and its satellite, the Hirschorn Museum of modern art offer patrons a free glimpse of much of America’s fine arts in gorgeous architectural marvels. The Natural History Museum is home to an extensive and fascinating collection of insects, rocks, gemstones and fossils. Outside of New York’s Natural History Museum, it is perhaps one of the most exhaustive in the world. Unique to Washington, although slightly farther from most of the museums, is the Holocaust Museum, which lies in the shadows of the Washington Monument (which itself offers a great view of the city, though it’s best to get there in the early morning to arrange tickets). The Holocaust Museum is, however somber, one of the city’s greatest exhibits, with a genuine, non-sentimentalized view of one of the darkest times in human history.

Moving north (uptown) from the Mall, the city’s theater and restaurant scene becomes more prevalent. Venues such as the Lincoln Theater, Ford’s Theater (where, ironically, Lincoln himself met his demise) and the Warner Theater offer some of the greatest stage play in the US outside of Manhattan. Any restaurant in this area is guaranteed to be both costly and delicious, and it’s even possible to spot Washington’s elite power brokers lobbying for the next big corporate tax cut if you hit the lunch circuit with a large pocketbook. The famous Kennedy Center for the Perfoming Arts is a bit to the west. There are both high- and low-end concerts and events for those looking for a little more than the standard nightclub fare.

Nightclub district

Which brings us to DC’s first true nightclub district, the few blocks north of the theaters, but south of Dupont Circle on Connecticutt Avenue. Since the city’s downtown has undergone a ten-year renaissance after the notorious Barry finally abdicated, the Eighteenth Street club district, as the area is also known, offers a plethora of nightclub experiences. The most ‘global’ in terms of drawing large name DJ talent, is also the least exclusive. Club Five has drawn in only the past few weeks the likes of Dimitri from Paris, LTJ Bukem and Felix ‘Da Housecat’. The club’s mainstay is the Saturday night House party, often called M3 after the promotion company that assumed control of the club in 2002, and always offers high quality house music for a low price. Since there is no dress code, the vibe is relaxed, the sound crisp and clear, and the drinks reasonably priced.

Across the street is the club MCCXXIII (or 1223) offers a more upscale night out, with a strictly enforced dress code, private boothing, expensive drinks and beautiful people. The upstairs Swank nightclub takes its design inspiration from a South Beach hotspot, having only reservable beds for people who need a seat and leaving a large open dancefloor for everyone else. Many of DC’s prominent sports figures have their soirees here when the occasion permits. Basketball legend Michael Jordan has been known to rent the club for celebratory reasons. But don’t expect to get in if you’re not on the list at one of these, it’s strictly about who you know.

Eighteenth Street Lounge

The area also offers the Eighteenth Street Lounge, the home of downtempo duo Thievery Corporation (who, along with duos Deep Dish and Saeed and Palash have never really been appreciated in their hometown). And the area offers a relaxed lounge atmosphere, and the highly chic -impossible to find- yet laid-back club Red at which Paul Oakenfold has allegedly been reported to get his swerve on after sets at the city’s now-defunct King of Clubs, Buzz, once held at the enormous venue Nation several miles away. The best bet for food around Dupont is Dragonfly, an ultra-trendy sushi joint which often features drum and bass and other dance music on an impeccable system, but the emphasis is (rightly) on the fish, and they do it better than most.

For large-scale clubbing (or the meat-market vibe, both of which are true of the next two venues), Dream and Insomnia offer different music with an identical vibe. Several blocks east of Dupont, Insomnia’s only global appeal is their regular Saturday night Trance festival, which features some of America’s best Trance acts. D:Fuse, George Acosta and others have graced the decks of this club, in which hordes of college students get down to an ear-piercing sound system. About a mile east of Insomnia (in one of DC’s less scenic neighborhoods) is the enormous Dream, the trendiest spot in town catering to a mostly African American crowd, although the occasional outnumbered suburbanite can sometimes be spotted cowering in the darker corners. The music is mostly Hip-Hop, Pop-Hop and Reggae, with the occasional act shipped in from South Beach who has most likely played out his welcome to the more sophisticated clubgoer.

One of the city’s more cutting edge venues for a grittier time has recently renovated under the auspices of one of DC’s newest promotional companies. DCSkillz runs a just-launched Saturday night event called Destination, east of Dream (and in an even less-desirable part of town) in a club called the Tunnel, which has inherited the big shoes that Buzz left behind in their recent forced retreat from Nation. Destination happens on Saturdays and is a quintessential, large-scale American rave, featuring name DJs for a low price, and the recent inner-scene pressure has moved most of the now-aging candyravers away from the pacifiers and ecstasy and toward the bar. This is definitely the spot to hit if you’re looking for dancing freely and clumsily and being amongst jovial inebriates.

Washington’s recent international notoriety as the seat of the most modern imperial power rests in its broad public image, propagated by the public relations elite and punctuated by an executive power who wields power more freely and recklessly than most have dared in the last century. Regardless of that fact, the nightlife that the city has managed to cultivate over the decades has come full force, bringing about diverse entertainment for the young, both rich and poor, white and black, foreign and domestic. Those few events listed above only scratch the surface of a vibrant underground of DJs, promoters and dance music enthusiasts who have dedicated themselves to a bigger and better city, full of talent and ambition and hope in the face of endless security alerts and restrictions.

Not to mention that DC also has the best dancers. Ask around. Then see for yourself.

washington001.jpg

washington004.jpg

00025.jpg

00007.jpg

Guest jroo
Originally posted by spinsaikel

Amen to that!:D

i want to see the best dancers, who deemed them the best? i remember how in miami none of them could dance. and ana said that dc had really good dancers and that was why the people in miami sucked to me.

where do i see the best?

Originally posted by jroo

i want to see the best dancers, who deemed them the best? i remember how in miami none of them could dance. and ana said that dc had really good dancers and that was why the people in miami sucked to me.

where do i see the best?

club 5 saturdays, Red on thursday, saturday and sunday. The ol' school house heads and not so ol school heads around here focus quite a bit on footwork and elaborate ways to work that with body movements. And they DONT believe in grinding ever. Neither do I. You will never catch me grinding. That is such a no brainer dance. C'mon get creative here.

great example. As you can see here, she just finished doing the robot routine and now will do the jetson's robotic maid impression.

Uh oh...sopha you have just insulted the speaker grinders...they are a global organization...i think you may be in trouble...you better watch your back.

Guest jroo

club 5 saturdays, Red on thursday, saturday and sunday. The ol' school house heads and not so ol school heads around here focus quite a bit on footwork and elaborate ways to work that with body movements. And they DONT believe in grinding ever. Neither do I. You will never catch me grinding. That is such a no brainer dance. C'mon get creative here.

ive been to 5, a bunch of times, i havent seen shit in there that impressed me. there is this girl from raliegh that would blow ANYONE OUT OF THE WATER. her name is michelle she is supposed to be coming up to this ultra world thing in bmore. she is deffinately the best dancer i have ever seen. if she comes out i'll introduce her.

Originally posted by jroo

ive been to 5, a bunch of times, i havent seen shit in there that impressed me. there is this girl from raliegh that would blow ANYONE OUT OF THE WATER. her name is michelle she is supposed to be coming up to this ultra world thing in bmore. she is deffinately the best dancer i have ever seen. if she comes out i'll introduce her.

you need to go there on a saturday man. and red on sundays definitely. It's on Germy. I'll duke it out with michelle.:)