Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Nice Job Jon Cowan.....

mrmatas2277

http://www.miami.com/mld/streetmiami/6268156.htm

Posted on Fri, Jul. 11, 2003

ASK THE DJ / Jon Cowan

BY MICHAEL HAMERSLY

Miami-based record label Bliss Productions founder and CEO Jon Cowan got his start DJing alongside Dave Seaman one Friday night at South Beach's late, great Groovejet, a lucky break which quickly grew into an official residency alongside Luis Diaz. Since then, he's played all over the world, with residencies in Germany, the Dominican Republic and at Dublin's The Kitchen (Bono's club). Catch his energetic sets tonight at Nerve (alongside Chris Fortier) and Saturday night in Space34's main room.

• What can we expect from the Nerve gig?

Well, Chris Fortier is one of the founders of the scene here in America. He is one of the guys that I used to drive hours to see at Aahz in Orlando. Technically, Chris is perfect, and being in charge of the Balance record pool [pre-release promos from the top 50 U.S. DJs] definitely makes his box one of the most upfront in the States. To me, Chris Fortier is to the U.S. what Sasha and Digweed are to the U.K., and I am really looking forward to playing with him again.

• Do you have a specific musical philosophy?

I like to take my crowd on a journey. I like bouncy progressive house, but with emotion. I am a big fan of the occasional vocal as well. My sets will range from flat-out vocal house, to tech-y house, to serious progressive stuff, to even the occasional breaky tune and techno tune.

• Was it easy to get into the business?

The business just kind of fell into my lap. It all started with the Bliss parties and then the eventual monthly residency with Dave Seaman. Because of our friendship, Dave asked me to help him put together Renaissance America -- a domestic CD release. This consequently ended up being the first release on the Bliss label. The rest is history -- you can learn about all of our releases at www.blissproductions.com.

• What's the best lesson you've learned in this business?

That it's tough. It's really hard to figure out what's cool yet still appeals to the masses so you can make a living. It's all about working together, trying to advance the scene as a whole.

• How is the Miami club scene different today than five or 10 years ago?

Today, Miami is full of the mega-clubs like Space, crobar and Maze. Back in the day, the beauty of South Beach was all the small little venues and being able to jump around from place to place. Everyone would hop all over the Beach and end up at Groovejet for the end-of-the-night madness. I don't know what happened but that underground feel kind of disappeared. That's one of the reasons I like Nerve so much: It has that small, intimate, underground feel.

• What would people be surprised to learn about you?

I was a very successful show horse rider. I competed for the United States Equestrian Team all over the world and was a national champion on three different occasions. I miss that tremendously -- nothing like jumping a six-foot wall on horseback, but, unfortunately, I had to retire when I seriously injured my back. How's that for a surprise?

Originally posted by mrmatas2277

http://www.miami.com/mld/streetmiami/6268156.htm

Posted on Fri, Jul. 11, 2003

ASK THE DJ / Jon Cowan

BY MICHAEL HAMERSLY

Miami-based record label Bliss Productions founder and CEO Jon Cowan got his start DJing alongside Dave Seaman one Friday night at South Beach's late, great Groovejet, a lucky break which quickly grew into an official residency alongside Luis Diaz. Since then, he's played all over the world, with residencies in Germany, the Dominican Republic and at Dublin's The Kitchen (Bono's club). Catch his energetic sets tonight at Nerve (alongside Chris Fortier) and Saturday night in Space34's main room.

• What can we expect from the Nerve gig?

Well, Chris Fortier is one of the founders of the scene here in America. He is one of the guys that I used to drive hours to see at Aahz in Orlando. Technically, Chris is perfect, and being in charge of the Balance record pool [pre-release promos from the top 50 U.S. DJs] definitely makes his box one of the most upfront in the States. To me, Chris Fortier is to the U.S. what Sasha and Digweed are to the U.K., and I am really looking forward to playing with him again.

• Do you have a specific musical philosophy?

I like to take my crowd on a journey. I like bouncy progressive house, but with emotion. I am a big fan of the occasional vocal as well. My sets will range from flat-out vocal house, to tech-y house, to serious progressive stuff, to even the occasional breaky tune and techno tune.

• Was it easy to get into the business?

The business just kind of fell into my lap. It all started with the Bliss parties and then the eventual monthly residency with Dave Seaman. Because of our friendship, Dave asked me to help him put together Renaissance America -- a domestic CD release. This consequently ended up being the first release on the Bliss label. The rest is history -- you can learn about all of our releases at www.blissproductions.com.

• What's the best lesson you've learned in this business?

That it's tough. It's really hard to figure out what's cool yet still appeals to the masses so you can make a living. It's all about working together, trying to advance the scene as a whole.

• How is the Miami club scene different today than five or 10 years ago?

Today, Miami is full of the mega-clubs like Space, crobar and Maze. Back in the day, the beauty of South Beach was all the small little venues and being able to jump around from place to place. Everyone would hop all over the Beach and end up at Groovejet for the end-of-the-night madness. I don't know what happened but that underground feel kind of disappeared. That's one of the reasons I like Nerve so much: It has that small, intimate, underground feel.

• What would people be surprised to learn about you?

I was a very successful show horse rider. I competed for the United States Equestrian Team all over the world and was a national champion on three different occasions. I miss that tremendously -- nothing like jumping a six-foot wall on horseback, but, unfortunately, I had to retire when I seriously injured my back. How's that for a surprise?

:clap: :clap: ... well deserved interview ...

We'll see you tonite Jesse?:eek:

Jon, thanks for reminding me we've been friends for 6 years now. In all that time, I can honestly say that you are one of, if not the best promoter(s) Miami has ever seen. Tommy Pooch can eat your dust!! You love for quality in music, and in life reflects on your work, as a DJ, promoter and with Bliss Records. Thanks to you, my nights out have been enriched in ways you cannot comprend, other than the constant smile on my face. I've always told you you were a natural for this business, not what your pop wants! However, whenever I think of your future, I always think Ian Shreager, hip hotel hotspot..yes,really! I do think you are capable of such things with your imagination, rescources, the sky is the limit. I see great things in your future. It will be interesting to see what happens, no matter what I'm sure we'll be enriched by it somehow. Thanks for everything Jon! :aright:

Eric & I will finally be stepping out tonight to boogie down to the tunes of Chris 40oz.! :D see you there!

"break on through to the other side..."

hey guys

big thanks too everyone for your continued support to me personally as well as too bliss. Your comments are apreciated more than you'll ever know and they honestly mean the world too me.. I hope too see you all tonight at Nerve - come by, I'll buy you all a drink - see you tonight

sincerely

Jon Cowan

unfortunatly i wasnt able to make it out to space last nite, but i was listening to the live broadcast on 93.1 last nite and let me tell you, you had has all jumping around like crazy last nite, you really tore it up last nite...:aright: , great set....hopefully someone out there was recording this....

Originally posted by x-t-c

unfortunatly i wasnt able to make it out to space last nite, but i was listening to the live broadcast on 93.1 last nite and let me tell you, you had has all jumping around like crazy last nite, you really tore it up last nite...:aright: , great set....hopefully someone out there was recording this....

thankyou so much for the complimets.. last night was off-the hook! Let me know if you find a recording of last night and I will do the same if I come across it.. I would love to hear it.. thanks again

Jon

• 9 years later...