Clubplanet Nightlife Community

techies, computer buffs and the like...

i have a dilemma possibly you could help me out...

in my office, i communicate with several different ppl located on different floors/offices etc. we do not have an in house platform what will allow us all to communicate in a chatroom so we use AIM, (aol instant messenger) however the chatroom window (the dialogue box i guess its called) is too, and covers up important data on my screen that is neccessary and must be constantly stared at so i cannot have it covered up... is there away to make the box smaller?? not just tugging the corners and pulling them in, but have like a custom sized box, or is there another chat program that can fit our needs??? (this is for business, its not like hey did you see so and so ass, or look out jesus is coming look busy... its to constantly stay in touch with other traders and be informed of what positions each one has entered and exited...)

Hey how's it going?

Well I recently tried this new chat client call GAIM:

http://gaim.sourceforge.net/

The following link is where you can download the latest GAIM for Windows:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gaim/gaim-0.65.exe

Also, here's a review of the application on PCmag.com:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,854346,00.asp

The most prominent use I like is that you have the option for people to chat with you in only one window....the people will be in tab form.....it's wonderful since only one window appears and you click on the tabs to chat to each person.

Also, you can integrate most chat clients in this application, so gaim can log into your msn messenger, yahoo, aim, etc.

Let me know!

Kbtoys111

yep yep yep i figured it as you were replying... however one last question, how do i configure the chatroom size??? (i just downloaded it and i want to be able to know everything about it before i recommend it and or install it on ppls comps)

Hey it's all good....knowledge is power! :idea:

To make a chatroom, go to "Buddies" on top, then click on "Add a chat".

To resize the icons in the Gaim window, go to "Tools", then "preferences", on the left click on "Buddy List". ON the right side towards the bottom you can click on the box "Show buddy icons" so it's unclicked....

Originally posted by kbtoys111

Hey it's all good....knowledge is power! :idea:

To make a chatroom, go to "Buddies" on top, then click on "Add a chat".

To resize the icons in the Gaim window, go to "Tools", then "preferences", on the left click on "Buddy List". ON the right side towards the bottom you can click on the box "Show buddy icons" so it's unclicked....

boooooyahkasha... aiight im effing with now thank you very very much for the help... greatly appreciated...

is this your software??? how come youre so adamant on using it and promoting it??? (and btw welcome to clubplanet~! thanks for wasting your first post on me! :) )

LOL nah just a computer geek. I've used trillian before as well...but for some reason I think it was buggy or some problem arose with it maybe more than a year ago....they've probably improved upon it since then.

You should experiment with Trillian as well. I've playing with GAIM for a while now since I was looking for a one-stop shop for chat clients...also the feature of using just one window for multiple tabbed chats/messages is pretty ill.

Oh and btw, thanks for welcoming me here ;)~

Trance/techno/house fan here!

im downloading trillian right now, im getting familiar with GAIM and it looks like it solves the dilemma, however im going to see if trillian offers anything better... thank you all for the help greatly appreciated...

kbtoys check the bump and ellipsis board, and the dungeons (aka sexboard) best forums on here... IMO.

Originally posted by dgmodel

im downloading trillian right now, im getting familiar with GAIM and it looks like it solves the dilemma, however im going to see if trillian offers anything better... thank you all for the help greatly appreciated...

kbtoys check the bump and ellipsis board, and the dungeons (aka sexboard) best forums on here... IMO.

..GAIM on windows sucks, I find it very lacking. I test ran it for about 3 weeks and didn't like it. Access to message logs is difficult (I was never able to find the repository of logs, I had to wait until I got a message from someone and then when I had a convo going, I could access the info, unlike trillian which allows me to just browse the auto created/updated text files for each buddy that you talk with). It also seemed to be more of a drag on system resources and you can't set (at least from what I saw) buddy Alerts for log on and off events. You can set 'pounces' where your account will attack a buddy you have flagged as soon as they log on, but you can't just be notified of their arrival.

In all fairness to GAIM, it IS a good program ... in Linux...and its written by linux geeks which means they probably gave less than the college try when porting it to Win32, which figures..considering the mentality of Unix and Linux people..

Trillian is the shizznit. You can download skins for it (one of which I use) that allow for transparency. The skin I use is called: Specious - Look it up which can be found in the skin section of Cerulean Studios website. It has small buttons and the windows are very slick, yet uncluttered and no frills. If you were to say use a dark blue background, set the text to white and then drop the transparency to say 50 percent it could hover over one of your less viewed data screens and not interfere. I've had much success with it.

Hope that was informative..:aright:...

Originally posted by joeg

i used to use gaim on linux... it was ok...

i still use gaim on linux (its all i use)... it's gotten alot better over the past year

i hate having to use AOL Instant Messenger anymore, its just not nearly as good without tabbed message boxes and logged conversations

Originally posted by thepulse

Everyone dials in by IP address to the person hosting the meeting. And as a bonus, if the host wants, the other attendees can view a screen shot of his PC. We use it at work, takes up alot of bandwith,but works great>

net meeting is only voice or both??? secondly how much bandwidth would it take up??? we need as much as possible were on t1's with like a 6mb connection or in the area of... and it is imperative that none of it can be wasted... (in order to keep up with realtime data, time is money literally)

Originally posted by phuturephunk

..GAIM on windows sucks, I find it very lacking. I test ran it for about 3 weeks and didn't like it. Access to message logs is difficult (I was never able to find the repository of logs, I had to wait until I got a message from someone and then when I had a convo going, I could access the info, unlike trillian which allows me to just browse the auto created/updated text files for each buddy that you talk with). It also seemed to be more of a drag on system resources and you can't set (at least from what I saw) buddy Alerts for log on and off events. You can set 'pounces' where your account will attack a buddy you have flagged as soon as they log on, but you can't just be notified of their arrival.

In all fairness to GAIM, it IS a good program ... in Linux...and its written by linux geeks which means they probably gave less than the college try when porting it to Win32, which figures..considering the mentality of Unix and Linux people..

Trillian is the shizznit. You can download skins for it (one of which I use) that allow for transparency. The skin I use is called: Specious - Look it up which can be found in the skin section of Cerulean Studios website. It has small buttons and the windows are very slick, yet uncluttered and no frills. If you were to say use a dark blue background, set the text to white and then drop the transparency to say 50 percent it could hover over one of your less viewed data screens and not interfere. I've had much success with it.

Hope that was informative..:aright:...

thanks a bunch... im messing around with both to see which will better serve our needs... see the problem with trillian is that our charts in the background are black, and the candlesticks are red and green with with yellow outlines, so its hard to see even in transparency mode however im going to look for a skin or tweak the settings to work around this... gaim seems to be working fine however i keep getting hiccups along the way... the netmeeting sounds like a viable option however im not familiar with it at all...