Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Does anyone do Circuit Training...

Originally posted by elitesnautica

Explain to me why you perfer circuit training over free weights???

Nautica

Maybe I am using the wrong term... I use free weights... I guess I was just calling it circuit training because I am working my body head to toe with each visit to the gym... ( Push one day ) ( Pull Next day ) I can't think of anything else to call it...

I am not a professional when it comes to naming routines... But I use all free weights as well as the cables to do my routine. ;)

for some reason, i had thought circuit training was when you moved from one body part to the next without rest in between. after completing all the body parts, you rest for a few minutes... and then do the 'circuit' again. i must be thinking of something else?...

Originally posted by wideskies

for some reason, i had thought circuit training was when you moved from one body part to the next without rest in between. after completing all the body parts, you rest for a few minutes... and then do the 'circuit' again. i must be thinking of something else?...

I think that is the standard definition of circuit training -- moving between bodyparts with minimal rest in between.

Guest jroo
Originally posted by elementx

I am lookin for one with weights... But explain yours if you will.

you set up stations, say 8 stations.

1. push ups

2. situps

3. jumping jacks

4. squats

5. lunges

6. high knees

7. diamond push ups

8. rocky sit ups.

have one station on its on piece of paper, mix them up. and place them on the ground in a huge circle. do two minutes at each station. and run to the next station and start right away, no rest 2 mintues. do everything twice. put about 25 meters at least inbetween them. or you can put them in two groups of 4 about 50 yards apart. and sprint back and forth and do the next exercise each time you get there.

It is time to lay the circuit training to bed.

Each workout should consist of no more than 1-2 body parts per session and you should not work a body part more than 1 time per week. Except for calves, arms and abs which can be worked 2 x's per week.

This should be the rule for both males and females and for those who want to bulk, cut, tone or what ever you want to call it.

You size will depend on your diet and you genetics.

Nautica

Guest jroo

Each workout should consist of no more than 1-2 body parts per session and you should not work a body part more than 1 time per week. Except for calves, arms and abs which can be worked 2 x's per week.

This should be the rule for both males and females and for those who want to bulk, cut, tone or what ever you want to call it.

Nautica

ok, whats teh goal though? size, looks? or total body fitness? personaly i dont know, it seems like putting a body kit on a neon, its still a neon, i want substance under the hood. a healthy heart. i dont know. can you get total body fitness by working out one piece at a time? i dont know. any thoughts?

Nautica

I think beginners and intermediate lifters should be doing more than 1-2 bodyparts per workout. Otherwise they're likely to overtrain by doing 5 billion exercises per bodypart. When you get more advanced, that's when split routines become more important.

Originally posted by jroo

ok, whats teh goal though? size, looks? or total body fitness? personaly i dont know, it seems like putting a body kit on a neon, its still a neon, i want substance under the hood. a healthy heart. i dont know. can you get total body fitness by working out one piece at a time? i dont know. any thoughts?

as you implied, there are different goals for fitness. i would assume that someone who lifts AND does martial arts probably has muscles that work a bit better in coordination than someone who only lifts.

however, unless you only do isolated movements *only* you're probably still going to be healthy and functionally strong if you lift regularly and do cardio a few times per week.

so, i wouldn't think that working out sets of body parts one day at a time would be a problem as long as you don't exclude compound movements.

which reminds me how weird it is when i see men who clearly spend very little time on their lower bodies but make an extra effort to produce that beefed up look up top. proportionality is key if one wants to look/be strong & healthy, imo.

Originally posted by rackham

I think beginners and intermediate lifters should be doing more than 1-2 bodyparts per workout. Otherwise they're likely to overtrain by doing 5 billion exercises per bodypart. When you get more advanced, that's when split routines become more important.

I never implied that one should do 5 billion exercises per bodypart. A beginner - need only spend 30 minutes or so in the gym while starting out.

Or he could do a circuit training - but only for the first month or so - or he will over train.

As far as the total body work out - that is where you add your cardio in after your 30 minutes wieght training. You will have all of your glycogen depleted for your system - so at that time you will go straight into fat burning mode.

Nautica

I never implied that one should do 5 billion exercises per bodypart. A beginner - need only spend 30 minutes or so in the gym while starting out.

Or he could do a circuit training - but only for the first month or so - or he will over train.

As far as the total body work out - that is where you add your cardio in after your 30 minutes wieght training. You will have all of your glycogen depleted for your system - so at that time you will go straight into fat burning mode.

Nautica

No no, I know you'd never recommend 5 billion exercises, but that's what I see a lot of beginners doing -- "Oh, today's arms day, so I'm gonna do preachers, and concentration curls, and dumbbell curls, and upside-down-and-sideways cable curls, and..." It's pointless and probably does them more harm than good.

I agree that a progression is needed: short full-body workout --> upper/lower split --> more advanced splits.

And I'm glad to see somebody else knows about glycogen depletion. So many people do hard cardio before lifting without realizing that they'd be better off the other way around...

:)