LET THE CLASSICS DIE!!!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by 3rdflfactoria

One classics night....ONE!!

:blown: :blown: :blown: :blown: :blown: :blown: :blown: :blown: :blown: :blown: :blown:

As long as its their most packed night, they will continue to have them alot. Just don't go. Choose another venue or move to Michigan and listen to 50 cent. ;)

Originally posted by foodidoo

long live Retro Metro

with your host Brian

brought to you by Budweiser

Classics night rocks...

in my opinion the music was just better 3 years ago...

I sound like my father...they don't make music anymore like they did when I was growing up...:(

whatever classics...no classics...shit I just like house music and whatever DT plays!!!:D

Don't you think that if you (and everyone else) continues to be satisfied by classics over and over......

.....that it will keep new and better music away??

If you keep settling and paying to hear the same stuff over and over.......no wonder it keeps getting played.........over and over!!

Tribal has got boring... nothing new in tribal in 2003...same sound over and over again. The only thing to do is do classics night cause new stuff is just boring these days....

personally i'd like to hear more house/soulful/discohouse/ than this tribal sound these days. There's so much good ish out in that genre. I'm DONE with Tribal!!!! Long live discohouse....

Originally posted by carusomaas12

Tribal has got boring... nothing new in tribal in 2003...same sound over and over again. The only thing to do is do classics night cause new stuff is just boring these days....

personally i'd like to hear more house/soulful/discohouse/ than this tribal sound these days. There's so much good ish out in that genre. I'm DONE with Tribal!!!! Long live discohouse....

not for nothing but the scene doesnt evolve around tribal by any stretch its only the in thing of the last 6-12 months aropund here......10 yrs ago i hated tribal, the newer tribal i like but prefer house and progressive over anything still and some techno which was the in the thing almost a yr and 1/2 ago....it appears with productions now alot is leaning towards more funky stuff

Originally posted by 3rdflfactoria

I can't do it anymore....classics this....classics that....retro this.... retro that...

When the FOCK is there going to be a "NEW MUSIC" night?!?!?!

WWWHHEENNNNNN?!?!?!?!?!? TELL ME!!!! PLEASEEEEEE!!!!!

ALWAYS BACK...NOTHING NEW?!?!?!

Am I the only one who got sick of the music back in the day.....

BACK IN THE DAY?

Someone??....anyone??........Bueller?!?!

This is not about dogging any DJ's, its about wanting to hear new music.

How about we have an "ALL NEW MUSIC" night?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

MAYDAY!!!!

Dude, you are so right. At least Factory classics happens only once or twice a year. How the fuck can a club have "classics" or "retro" night more than that? Is it because good new music is so hard to come by? How many times can we be expected to "re-live the memories"? I'm just as sick as you of that shit.

:blown:

I think classics night is a good time...its just that too many DJ's play the same old music.....I think a classics night should consist of completely different vibes of old music...bring back some old SF anthems, some cheesy fist pumps, some pill-popping Draper bombs....and def some music from the past two summers that hasnt been played recently....

Thats what we will be doing at Platinum tomorrow night....For those sick of the same shore crap and the same songs you might want to come check us out:D

gilbert... I could honestly say that you HATE classics...

you got REALLY pissed when u heard FInal chapter the other night..:laugh:

I wanna hear new music too... I'm planning on going to factory within the next 3 weeks... havent heard JP in 2 mos.

there's a very simple answer to this question: $$$$$

it's clear a lot of the people that go out to Jersey clubs are still waiting for the Johnny Vicious/Razon n Guido sound to make a comeback...........there's something called the "Chapter corner" in Tempts still for christ's sake..........so the more classics nights, the more money in the pockets of the clubs..........and that's the bottom line.

Believe it or not i actually AGREE ........to a certain extent. Thanks to certain promotors, who sometimes have nothing else "up there sleeve" as an event, its easy to come up with a, "hmmmmmm RETRO NIGHT! CLASSIC NIGHT! or what ever other version of the name of this night may be. What they dont relieze, and what most of these so-called events are STARTING to realize, it that THEY ARE KILLING THEIR OWN EVENT!!!! Heres why.......

You have to understand, when we came up with RETROMETRO it was at a time that NO ONE......NO one IN THE CITY......NO ONE IN JERSEY........would even DARE to exploit the fact that the older music was SIIICK(when we started this in 2000, the "older music" was 98-99-2000 which happened to be when Metro opened 1998 and which in turn is still the main portion of a retrometro night) . At that time all the djs were struggling and fighting with each other..............who has this unrealesed track............i got this first.............no one else is playing this.............and then, if you think its bad now, a few years back you should of heard all the "the crowd dosent understand MY music" and "THEY have to LEARN about this music" mumbo jumbo you would hear from different djs. It just never made any sense to me. Let me see, play a song that you know the place will go upside down to, like "this joy" for example, OR ..............FORCE this incredible crowd that you have in front of you to LEARN the music that YOU are trying to teach, and as they "learn" they are running towards the door and the crowd is board out of there minds:idea: (WE ARE NOT IN SCHOOL ANYMORE GUYS, we go out to chill, hang with friends, drink , dance and most of all, ready for this...........................MAYBE HOOK UP? Anyone do this anymore?

Back to what i was saying. So when we first did retrometro @Metro Lounge the first dj to do it was Andrew Mendez. It went over HUGE. And it became a solid event , even up to today after doing it for 3 years. But here wher the problem is. It is a huge event for us,because, you REALLY ARE reliveing the vibe,memories and music. The key word really is RELIVING. Reliving something means, doing something again.........in the same place, with the same people, at the same time.

Our people love that and enjoy that. Do you know how may people that i know that really don tgo out to much anymore, that ONLY gcome to our club when we do RETROMETRO.Remember, people that were 21,22,23,24 when metro open are now, 26,27,28,29 (like me!!!!!!!) and really are not INTO THE LOOP any more thats the point, thats who retrometro is special to.How can a place that just opens up or a place that was playing "brown eyed girl" as a main hour song 2 years ago have a classics or retro or whatever night.........it just doesnt make any sense to me...................THATS WHY IT SEEMS AS IF IT IS GETTING PLAYED OUT!. Even in the city, they were sooooooo worried about being so SIIICK and playing "city music" that they were also affraid , or just never thought of doing classics night, until the last couple of years. One of the biggest nights of the year at factory is classics night, does anyone realize that they only started doing that 2 years ago? Even TEMPTS, which i am not knocking so relax everyone, someone should have thought of doing classics night @tempts way,WAY, before they actually did it. And why DOES it work at tempts, factory,metro/merge.................because there are MEMORIES THERE!!!LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS OF THEM!!!!!!!!! What good does it do if you werent in a club in 1998 on a weekly basis and hearing "its the police, come out with your hand up!....UP!.....UP!!! or "LET THE SUNSHINE, LET THE SUNSHINE IN".................I get the chills when i hear these songs, because there are M-E-M-O-R-I-E-S behind THESE SONGS. And NOT every club that were open in 1998 was playing these songs, thats a fact. The ones that were playing these songs and have lots memories behind them has reasons to have these nights.

My main concern and opinion from an industry standpoint (cause we are all reading this)is that lots of people are killing events and ideas because it is just alot easier to look to something else and copy it. In a long run, you the customers are gonna be the ones who loose out becaue you are gonna get board with these events(anyone notice kind of a "lull" in nightlife, NOT including the shore ?)And then the clubs will loose out. I think people will always flock to these nights at Metro/Merge ,Tempts, Factory, NOT because i think we are anything special,thats NOT what i am saying, its because there are CONSISTENT MEMORIES behind this music and the time we spent in thse places listening to this music.

and 3rd floorfactoria.........a little side note to you. Good observation on this post. Another thing i failed to mention in what really makes it special for us when we do retrometro, is that Rydell BARELY EVER PLAYS the old stuff. You hear him all the time so you know. If you heard those songs every week at Metro or Merge it would not be such a big deal.But what you have to keep in mind is that thats the crowd we have built uo over the years. What a METRO FRIDAY crowd loves and goies crazy to may not , and probably does not work in most other rooms. Remember the only people that really want to hear ABSOLUTLY NEW music are people that are REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY into music (basicly djs/industry people) but a whole night of NOTHING familier will be the most boring night you will have . KEEP IN MIND.......FAMILIER does not mean OLD. FAMILIER are the songs you go nuts to, and THATS what creates energy:D dO YOU THINK SMOKING is whats killing NYC night life...........NO WAY! How about people going out, paying 30-60 dollars to get into a club, hearing the most boring,shitty, no fun music of there life, hangin with a crowd that doesnt give a fuck about the that boring shitty music (except the 10 friends that whoever the dj came with who happen to be high 5ing the dj as the dance floor clears and has no one danceing on it..............by the way, the last time i checked, a dj gets paid to make people DANCE at a party...correct?:D ) but maybe the people on the dance floor "just dont get it":rolleyes: UNfamiler music must be played the right way. GOOD MUSIC THAT MAKES YOU DANCE is good music that makes you dance...period! If the music clears the floor, how could it be good? I heard from PK that the guy that played at Surf this past sunday (im sorry, i dont remember his name) was off the hook. He said he played mostly UNfamiler stuff .......but.............he keeped the dance floor packed, happy ,jumping with energy,and MOST IMPORTANTLY the girls were into it!!!! And i actually heard a few girls mention that the music was different and "sexy" was a word i heard it descdibed as.Like i said good music will make you dance, wheather you are familier with it of not, if your dance floor is not moving, YOU ARE MAKING THE WRONG CHOICE IN RECORDS.

Long live RETROMETRO:D

3rd floor, if you want to hear SIIICK music, RICHIE RYDELLS BIRTHDAY THIS SAT @MERGE( had to throw a plug in there):D