Clubplanet Nightlife Community

questions on building a new dj booth?

An assocaite of mine is taking over a club on LI. He is looking to put together a good setup without spending a ton of $$. I have a few questions and any additonal input would be great.

Obviously Technics. Wll mk2's suffice or should we go ahead and get the mk3's or even the mk5's?

Where should we positon the monitor?

Mixer's are a matter of opinion but we are considering a rane mp 2016 w/ the external processor w/ crossfader. Is there any others aside from a phazon we should consider?

CD players. should we go with a denon double disc (2600 or 9000) or should we go w/ a set of pioneer cdj 1000 mk2?

As far as effects we have a pioneer fx box should we consider any additional such as air fx kaos pad or such?

In reagrds to the layout of the booth any suggestion would be helpful. (i.e. height, lighting etc)

Thanks for the help and I'll give you the info on the opening of the spot when the name and dates are finalized

MK5's seem like a waste of money. I'd go with the MKII's or M3D's.

In terms of CD players, the 1000MK2's are pretty amazing, but the Denons are pretty much standard and will more than do the job, for a lot less money too.

What is the projected capacity?

Do you have a sound and light system lined up?

I ask because I have a 12,000 watt EAW/ CROWN sound system, and a 10 fixture Martin lighting system, plus a smoke machine and controller for the lights available for long term rental.

Pm me back

the mk3's are more ideal for club use cause they have an extra layer of shock absorbant material. that way, if you're planning on having a sick sound system, it ensures that the needle will never jump on account of vibrations from the music.

• 2 weeks later...

Any Technics turntable of the 1200 series will do.

MP2016 all the the way with all the trimmings! Even though they are not being made anymore they are still a great mixer.

CD Players most big name dj's require that at least one Pioneeer CDJ 1000 CD player be in the booth in their booking contracts. So I would personally stick with them.

As for effects there fine and dandy but go with a CyCloops and a Pioneer EFX500 if your gonna go with that.

Guest djdrip2002

u dont need any efx machines, djs bring their own pioneer efx 500s or cycloops. That saves you a few hundred bucks. Also have 2 monitors and postion them facing the dj left and right sides. Def have the rane rotary with the addon, 2 1200s and a 2600 is fine no need for the 9000 thats just another waste of money especially since you are looking to save.

i say instead of asking on the internet, make a small investment and have a dj come and set it up for you, tell them a budget and im sure they could help you out...most good dj's know thier equipment well, and from your post, it looks like you could use the help