Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Thunderball | Dublex Inc. | 08.06.03 | Club Five

bobbyjae

Check out Thunderball at FIVE AUGUST 6th 2003..

Thunderball has stormed the UK with much critical success. Here’s what some of the magazines had to say about Scorpio Rising:

"Sophisticated dub-break sounds with a silky smooth edge."

- International DJ

"… best enjoyed sipping a cool drink, smoking a fat one and just kicking back Cool and funky – top stuff."

- Seven Magazine

"A mixture of Drum and Bass, Breaks, and downtempo hustler funk makes this an essential purchase."

- Blah Blah

" Thunderball are Bond to please"

- Jockey Slut

The new video for Stereo Tonic has aired on MTV's Chill Out Zone in the UK. You can check out the video in QuickTime format here: http://www.pxlstudios.com/stereotonic/stereotonic.mov.

Thunderball has two final singles from Scorpio Rising slated for release early this year. A new Domino 12” features an exclusive To Vienna with Funk floor mix by Thunderball as well as additional mixes from JonH & Raskal, Americruiser and Stone. A new Heart of the Hustler CD single is also in production, featuring a remix by Burdy of Baby Mammoth along with a Massive Attack style dub from Thunderball and a hip hop floor slayer from The Fort Knox Five. If you missed out on the first vinyl pressing of Scorpio Rising you’ll have a chance to catch the second pressing this winter.

Thunderball has also finished two new tracks for the upcoming ESL compilation Den of Thieves. The first track titled The Panther is swank, D&B spy chiller. For the second cut, Thunderball takes on its arch nemesis Liftoff in a 60’s rave up track titled Welcome Back Cooper featuring sitar by Rob Myers.

thunder.jpg

Originally posted by teriaki

Anything that can call itself "downtempo hustler funk" is by definition interesting. I might have to go to this just to see what the hell it's all about.

yeah man - their last two albums are really good. its funny because they are well known outside of DC - but here....

Originally posted by djbuster

yeah man - their last two albums are really good. its funny because they are well known outside of DC - but here....

add these guys to the list of "unappreciated in their hometown"

Saeed n' Palash

Deep Dish

Brian Zentz

Brian Stillwater

I'm sure there are more but thats all I can think of for now.

Originally posted by spinsaikel

add these guys to the list of "unappreciated in their hometown"

Saeed n' Palash

Deep Dish

Brian Zentz

Brian Stillwater

I'm sure there are more but thats all I can think of for now.

think ray mentioned last nite that brian zentz gonna be at five labor day weekend? or maybe i was still recovering from a pete earfuck? :confused:

Originally posted by kken

think ray mentioned last nite that brian zentz gonna be at five labor day weekend? or maybe i was still recovering from a pete earfuck? :confused:

nope, you heard right. and some very talented locals are going to be on the bill with him. :D

Wednesday | Aug.06.2003

M3 Music present:

a Rinse magazine and DCDNB.ORG sponsored event

THUNDERBALL [ ESL Music ] DJ / Live PA Performance

thunderball.JPG

Steve Raskin and Sid Barcelona are the agents behind Thunderball. Over the past six years they have been working from their hidden studio, Fort Knox, producing music that stealthily incorporates everything from cinematic dub to breakbeat funk. They have released a multitude of singles and two full-length albums on Thievery Corporation's ESL Music label. Thunderball will be performing a special DJ set incorporating live elements into the mix. Thunderball will be joined with their fellow co-conspirators, Mustafa Akabar on vocals and Rob Myers on sitar and guitar. Prepare yourself for a special event of floor rocking funk and soul.

DUBLEX INC. [ Pulver Records ] - Stuttgart, Germany

image.gif

Robin Huffman is one of the men behind Germany's leading edge record labels, Pulver Records. His label has caused a stir over recent years with amazing music and stylish design. Perhaps the best known Pulver artist is Dublex Inc. which took the world by storm with the release of their hit single 'Tango Forte' last year. As a member of Dublex Inc., Robin is sure to deliver a heady mix of funky downtempo and house-driven breakbeats.

BOBBY JAE [ District Soul :: DCDNB.ORG :: Release ] *special birthday set*

Considered one of the area's true soulful drum'n'bass pioneers, Bobby Jae makes a return to Five with his impeccable mixing and top notch selection. His brand of funk and soul is always pushing the creative envelope, yet is still geared at moving crowds.

Rooftop Patio:

ABSTRACT MOTION Residents:

hosted by GrooveDistrict, DJ Hut & DriveSafe

DJs: DAN SODA, JOHN JOHNSON & DJ JULIUS

Flyers:

http://www.evecommunications.com/proofs/thunder.jpg

21 & over

9pm - 3am

Door Cover: $10 all night

No Dress Code

Stay Tuned for this Monthly D&B Event at FIVE

Next Month: Wed 8.20: The King of the Rollers Tour

feat. Doc Scott & MC Justyce

www.Mthre3.com

www.GrooveDistrict.com

www.DCDNB.org

www.DistrictSoul.com

www.Rinsemag.com

CLUB FIVE

1214 B 18th St N.W.

Washington DC 20036

Event Information:

Located in the heart of Midtown's Golden Triangle, CLUB FIVE is a three level club featuring a relaxing open air moonlit lounge with two additional floors, a Full Bass Heavy EAW Avalon Soundsystem, and chic furnishings with an ultracool vibe.

Event Directions:

Baltimore and Points North -

95 south. Take exit 22B Baltimore-Washington Parkway to Washington. Continue on the MD-295, Baltimore Washington Parkway. Exit at sign reading Washington US-50 West. Continue on New York Ave NW. Turn right on Mt Vernon Pl NW. Bear right on Massachusetts Ave NW. Turn right on Thomas Cir NW. Bear right on M Street NW. Turn right on 18th Street NW to 1214 18th Street.

Northern VA and Points South -

66 East. Exit at sign that reads E street and I-66 E. Go North. Exit Potomac River Fwy via ramp at sign reading Whitehurst Freeway. Turn right on L Street NW. Turn right on Pennsylvania Ave. Turn right on Washington Circle. Turn right on New Hampshire Ave. Turn right on L Street. Turn left on 18th Street. Go to 1214 18th street NW.

Metro Stop -

Farragut North

Originally posted by bobbyjae

Steve Raskin and Sid Barcelona are the agents behind Thunderball. Over the past six years they have been working from their hidden studio, Fort Knox, producing music that stealthily incorporates everything from cinematic dub to breakbeat funk. They have released a multitude of singles and two full-length albums on Thievery Corporation's ESL Music label. Thunderball will be performing a special DJ set incorporating live elements into the mix. Thunderball will be joined with their fellow co-conspirators, Mustafa Akabar on vocals and Rob Myers on sitar and guitar. Prepare yourself for a special event of floor rocking funk and soul.

wtf is "cinematic dub"? :confused:

Originally posted by rockyblue

if you go tonight, you'll find out...

:shaky:

maybe i'll have to break the "vicman-doesn't-go-out-on-weekdays-unless-it's-a-GU-or-balance-promote-dj" rule

(this rule is not in effect when i have the following day off from work)

Originally posted by vicman

:shaky:

maybe i'll have to break the "vicman-doesn't-go-out-on-weekdays-unless-it's-a-GU-or-balance-promote-dj" rule

(this rule is not in effect when i have the following day off from work)

Vicman lives a complicated life... :tongue:

Originally posted by crank47

Vicman lives a complicated life... :tongue:

i've just been made aware that i should modify the aforementioned rule to:

"vicman-doesnt-go-out-on-weekdays-unless-it's-a-GU-,-balance-promote-or-tribal-dj" rule

agreed. . . party last night was the hotness. . .i didn't expect so many people to be out on a wed. in dc!

when did you all leave last night? i was looking for you three downstairs on the dancefloor. . .

hold up, for jen, this is the Adam Freeland quote/bit of info. that made me want to go last night: "Before I let the National Lottery say hello to my life, I didn't know my arse from Thursday. But then Thunderball came, and something just clicked." (speaking about some gambling conversion to music production) :)

most of the live acts i've seen are house or techno. . .but last night was very refreshing/interesting. . .i really wish adam freeland's new band, free*land, would tour the US.