Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Techno vs. Tech House ...

vipnerd

I can't see both targetting the same crowd ... obviously there are some that are cross overs for both ... especially on this board ...

But ... does the sound of Stryke or Plastikman attract the same crowd that would go to check Oscar Fonseca or Terry Francis? ...

Just wondering ... because I don't believe they attract the same core crowd ...

This is in obvious reference to the other thread ... and with the best intentions to see this party take off and support it ...

It is essential ... for the success of it ... to establish a target crowd ... just like with any product ...

Vip :hat:

a straight Techno party is only going to appeal to a limited number of people unfortunately, just like a drum and bass party

a Tech-House party can appeal to many more people, though not because they have a specific orientation towards Tech-House, but just because they like good House in general, and the success would depend more on how well it's promoted than the specific type of house music being played

now I also think a party that combines more upbeat Tech-House, with some less abrassive Techno, along with some other styles could work extremely well, as long as the DJ is not worried about staying within specific sub-genre definitions and instead focuses on creating a fun, fresh and energetic musical experience, and by mixing things up like that you can appeal to wider range of people, and entertain a more diverse crowd though I think it takes a lot more creativity and good taste in track selection to pull it off, and again it has to be promoted very well to get anybody there in the first place, promoted as a wild and fun kind of party, not as a nerdy intelligent music type thing....

now I don't think the party you're refering to will draw much of a crowd , since it will probably be promoted as a straight Techno party for people who love Techno, but if they get any of the names mentioned I'll definitely be there, along with a few other nerdy guys like me.... at least the music will be good!

Originally posted by eKiTeL

a straight Techno party is only going to appeal to a limited number of people unfortunately, just like a drum and bass party

a Tech-House party can appeal to many more people, though not because they have a specific orientation towards Tech-House, but just because they like good House in general, and the success would depend more on how well it's promoted than the specific type of house music being played

now I also think a party that combines more upbeat Tech-House, with some less abrassive Techno, along with some other styles could work extremely well, as long as the DJ is not worried about staying within specific sub-genre definitions and instead focuses on creating a fun, fresh and energetic musical experience, and by mixing things up like that you can appeal to wider range of people, and entertain a more diverse crowd though I think it takes a lot more creativity and good taste in track selection to pull it off, and again it has to be promoted very well to get anybody there in the first place, promoted as a wild and fun kind of party, not as a nerdy intelligent music type thing....

Nicely put together ... :cool:

Originally posted by thephoenix

so what you come up with...is DJ Three.

he is the only guy I have ever seen take his 3 hour slot, start mello an dbuild for 2 1/2 hoiurs...then go OFF for last 1/2 hour.

bring him!

Maybe bring Q6 too....

glad to see someone else gets it, yeah those guys would definitely be cool, though for the kind of party I'm talking about you need a local resident who can do it every week and evolve with it, feedback with the crowd, find out what really works and fine tune it... and after it gets going start to bring headliners to bang it out for the later set... kind of like what DHM/Aquabooty has been doing, I mean if they can get a crowd together for loungey jazzy underground house then it should be possible to do it with more upbeat, energetic, underground tech house and techno

Three would do a weekly...prolly wanna do it just for the exposure...Get a GOOD club and he would do it. He has a void to fill after his Twilo residence got nixed....

Tampa has a wwekly with Serious Soul going off every week. Brian Busto is doing just that...fine tuning fo rthe crowd. He brought Three and Confucius in the first few weeks to get people there...and has been doing well ever since. been almost a year now...

maybe it's time for a road trip...

here is what brian is doing in Tampa this month

SATURDAY, AUGUST 9TH

EVIL EDDIE RICHARDS

(LUNAR TUNES/WIGGLE/VISITOR/UK)

you may remember_eddie_as one of the djs who rocked the shit out of rain lounge

a few years ago. he's back_again for an exclusive florida appearance

SATURDAY, AUGUST 23RD

ONIONZ

(shaboom/imperial dub/siesta/big chief/vibernt/camouflage/nrk/grayhound/2020 vision)

this will_be_his only florida appearance

just FYI

_

Originally posted by thephoenix

SATURDAY, AUGUST 9TH

EVIL EDDIE RICHARDS

(LUNAR TUNES/WIGGLE/VISITOR/UK)

OH SHIT! I think I just might make it to that one since I'll probably be in Orlando that weekend! thanks for the info!!!!

I don't understand what's with all the boundaries.....and most of all when you talk techno and tech-house......its the same shit !

there aren't to many techno djs that play a staright up techno set

not even richie hawtin , what happen to djs playing whatever they feel like ??? that's been my biggest problem down here

everybody wants to label DJS as : deep house , house , tech-house or techno DJ .......how about playing everything ?!?!

good music is good music at 120bpms and at 140bpms

got a prob .....slow it down ....or speed it up !

c'mon people !

NOVA!!!!

Originally posted by djnova

I don't understand what's with all the boundaries.....and most of all when you talk techno and tech-house......its the same shit !

not even richie hawtin , what happen to djs playing whatever they feel like ??? that's been my biggest problem down here

everybody wants to label DJS as : deep house , house , tech-house or techno DJ .......how about playing everything ?!?!

c'mon people !

NOVA!!!!

that's exactly what I'm saying, though techno and tech-house are not really the same shit, although there is no definite boundry, I agree that too many dj's restrict themselves with those kind of boundaries, but who cares, those of us who can see past them will stand out that much more ;)

Originally posted by eKiTeL

that's exactly what I'm saying, though techno and tech-house are not really the same shit, although there is no definite boundry, I agree that too many dj's restrict themselves with those kind of boundaries, but who cares, those of us who can see past them will stand out that much more ;)

Thank you ! A good example of what eric and I are talking about

is the Knights of The Jaguar track by Rolando ......and yes I know

now we're steering off the subject from djs to tracks ....but

this track has been played by practically every DJ in the world

from house to techno to trance djs ......keep in mind

by this thread's "standards" rolando would be seen as a

"techno" dj .......also, there are plenty of used to be techno

producers that now are producing house and vice versa .

ask DHM, they've never booked or asked me to play alongside because "I play too hard" , NEVERMIND the 1,000 + deep house and house records I own .

do I have a chip on my shoulder ?

wouldn't you , if you've been doing it as long as me ?

pardon the rant

N_

c'mon people !

NOVA!!!!

agreed.. im not a big fan of categorizing or labelling music, parties, mixes, etc.

it's a tech house party... no it's a deep tech party... no, no.. it's kind of a techno party... fuck that.

Thank you ! A good example of what eric and I are talking about

is the Knights of The Jaguar track by Rolando ......

N_

Oh shit! yeaahhhh I've heard this track but didn't know what it's called, luckily planetX has it in stock, thanks for the ID, I have a few others in a very similar vein, Alexander Kowalski's "Bello Horizonte" comes to mind

also don't worry about DHM, they may be very nice guys, and I give them respect, but they're kind of fascist when it comes to what they consider good music, just read the charts in Straight no Chaser and you have their playlist....

and another thing I've noticed your frustration with the local scene on a number of occasions, I can cerainly understand where you're coming from, but a positive outlook can do wonders, along with a bit of metaphysical detachment, I mean it's just dance music, right?