Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Law School...

I graduated from Fordham. Solid school, excellent professors (generally speaking), but the facilities weren't great, and the administration for the most part sucked (Registrar's office, financial aid office). Of course go with Columbia, NYU if you can get in there. Generally you'll have better job prospects coming out of NYU/Columbia. New York Law Institute is a law library, not a law school. Maybe you mean New York Law School. If so, it shouldn't be your first choice if you have the grades/scores to get into better schools. It's a second tier law school so getting a job coming out of there would be tough unless you're in the top 5% of your class.

Originally posted by £ddie

I graduated from Fordham. Solid school, excellent professors (generally speaking), but the facilities weren't great, and the administration for the most part sucked (Registrar's office, financial aid office). Of course go with Columbia, NYU if you can get in there. Generally you'll have better job prospects coming out of NYU/Columbia. New York Law Institute is a law library, not a law school. Maybe you mean New York Law School. If so, it shouldn't be your first choice if you have the grades/scores to get into better schools. It's a second tier law school so getting a job coming out of there would be tough unless you're in the top 5% of your class.

That's great news for a good friend of mine that just enrolled there :blank:

im hearin its kind of difficult to get into all these schools right about now. friends i know are having trouble getting into SJU and freakin Touro ...i heard everytime the economy takes a downturn the enrollment in law school picks up and it becomes harder and harder to get into decent law schools.

Originally posted by ghhhhhost

im hearin its kind of difficult to get into all these schools right about now. friends i know are having trouble getting into SJU and freakin Touro ...i heard everytime the economy takes a downturn the enrollment in law school picks up and it becomes harder and harder to get into decent law schools.

thats exactly how it is. right now every cop in the world and everyone else that is associated with criminal justice is trying to be a lawyer cuz the economy sucks. law school isnt that hard to get into(well not as hard as youd think) you just have to be smart about it. my advice is to talk to lawyers and law school recruiters. theyll tell you what their school/firm is looking for. as an undergrad you should probably steer clear from law classes, government, history and political science majors. law schools dont like that because everyone applying to law school has those majors and they want the lawyer population to reflect the general population of the country. diversity is the key. try to get internships and some good work experience, travel, do something. just dont apply straight out of undergrad unless youve got crazy lsat scores, top percentile in your class, and a bankroll to fund law school. btw law school is crazy hard your first year and you probably shouldnt work since your summer internship will most likely lead to your first lawyer job.

ok maybe it is harder than i thought, good thing law is my backup hehe. good luck and shoot any advice you get my way...

Originally posted by t0nythelover

thats exactly how it is. right now every cop in the world and everyone else that is associated with criminal justice is trying to be a lawyer cuz the economy sucks. law school isnt that hard to get into(well not as hard as youd think) you just have to be smart about it. my advice is to talk to lawyers and law school recruiters. theyll tell you what their school/firm is looking for. as an undergrad you should probably steer clear from law classes, government, history and political science majors. law schools dont like that because everyone applying to law school has those majors and they want the lawyer population to reflect the general population of the country. diversity is the key. try to get internships and some good work experience, travel, do something. just dont apply straight out of undergrad unless youve got crazy lsat scores, top percentile in your class, and a bankroll to fund law school. btw law school is crazy hard your first year and you probably shouldnt work since your summer internship will most likely lead to your first lawyer job.

ok maybe it is harder than i thought, good thing law is my backup hehe. good luck and shoot any advice you get my way...

Im majoring in Finance with a double minor in Communications and Real Estate... i plan to do Corporate Law... hows that?

Originally posted by trancerxn112

Im majoring in Finance with a double minor in Communications and Real Estate... i plan to do Corporate Law... hows that?

Major doesn't matter as much as grades and LSAT scores. Also, what undergrad? Undergraduate school matters. Getting into law school is a lot harder than it was when I applied, and if you don't have the numbers, you may not get into any schools you're aiming for. The top 25 schools are often looking at well over 5,000 applications, so they basically boil down the admission process to numbers.

Major doesn't matter as much as grades and LSAT scores. Also, what undergrad? Undergraduate school matters. Getting into law school is a lot harder than it was when I applied, and if you don't have the numbers, you may not get into any schools you're aiming for. The top 25 schools are often looking at well over 5,000 applications, so they basically boil down the admission process to numbers.

I go to CUNY Baruch in Manhattan

What makes people decide to go to a law school instead of going for an MBA, if they are business students?

I recently got my undergraduate degree in Finance and now thinking about going for an advanced degree. I just don't know what I should be basing my decision on of whether to apply to a law school or business school. Any help?

Originally posted by Ruph

What makes people decide to go to a law school instead of going for an MBA, if they are business students?

I recently got my undergraduate degree in Finance and now thinking about going for an advanced degree. I just don't know what I should be basing my decision on of whether to apply to a law school or business school. Any help?

look at it this way if you get your MBA in Finance you are pretty much limited to career choices in Banking, Insurance, Securities and the like fields. If you go to law school you are no longer limited to those fields but you can go into them if you so choose. Other fields are now available to you which include Real Estate, Management, Letigator, Negotiator and Counseling.

I agree with this.

When I was applying there was an overabundance of applicants . . my first year of law school, class size was 600 plus students which is double the normal amount.

Also ghhhhhost is right economy stuff matters, however this years applicants are less than when I was applying. But yea everyone wants to be a lawyer. I dont' know why . .

Also Tran: if you go to law school, make sure you really want it, first year is tough, like everyone says. I don't recommend working if you can avoid it. You have to be dedicated . . . It is also tougher to get into top schools now b/c of the large amount of applicants. You must haev good grades, superb LSAT scores for top schools to even consider you. They defintiely way LSAT scores heavier than grades when they try and say its weighed similar :rolleyes: And it is expensive and the gov't doesnt really help you out much . . You'll be in debt . . I'm sure with Cuny tuition its much cheaper than law school is. . . . Good Luck bebe :)

i want it... i have about a 3.2 GPA but im gonna get more serious i have 2 years to raise my GPA and i started studying for my LSAT's now ill probably take them next year or in a year and a half... i bought the 2003 KAPLAN LSAT's prep book and i have a cd with like 20 practice lsat's

Originally posted by ghhhhhost

the more ur skilled at the more ur worth...im an accounting major..and im seriously considering law school after the CPA exam...

besides i think CPA, CIA , PC would look really cool at the end of my last name

Or Esq.

I like that alot better;)

A law degree opens quite a few more doors for an individual than an M.B.A. does. Graduates with an M.B.A. (who haven't completed some type of joint M.B.A / J.D. program) do not have many of the opportunities that graduates with a J.D. may have.

Also, completion of a masters degree does not mean that one is licensed by the state to practice in a profession. In some ways, many masters programs seem to be nothing more than extended undergraduate studies. Law students complete a certain amount of credits, but are also required to complete a comprehensive State examination in order to be licensed to practice law. Like doctors, they have to meet the requirements of their profession. I suppose one could go to law school, take all of the required classes, and then decide not to take the bar exam, but that individual wouldn't be able to do shit with the knowledge he / she has.

There are, however, other valuable licenses (CPA) that are available to many graduate / M.B.A students upon graduation, but a law license just seems much more valuable in many respects.