Clubplanet Nightlife Community

nyis4nyis4meatheads weekend review

nyis4meatheads

This past weekend was the best one I've had all year probably. Even though the weather blew it didn't really matter, everything was great.

Me and deklab girl got to Brooklyn around 11ish on Thursday night after driving through a torential downpour. The closer to the city I got, the harder it would rain. I honestly think God watches me drive down, laughing his ass off the entire time (but I only think this because I'm an egomaniac). Anyway, just chilled in Brklyn that night, nothing big, woke up pretty early the next morning.

Started friday off in China Town. Haggled my way into getting a nasty pipe from some dude there. The thing is so sweet I'm getting high just looking at it... no, wait, I'm not.... flavanugz, your assistance is desperately needed here! After that we grabbed lunch around Union Square then headed to the Guggenheim Museum to check out the modern art exhibit they've got going there. I'd never been to that museum, but it is easily the coolest bulding/layout I've ever seen. The art was great, the museum itself is like a piece of art and the two together were just fucking awesome. If you get the chance, check it out for sure. After the museum it was nice out for 10 minutes so we strolled around Central Park, :blah: Went back to brooklyn, made a really good dinner, then headed to the East Village to go boozin'. Soooo many good, divey bars around it made my head spin. We parked ourselves at one with a good crowd of deadbeats, over-dressed slutty chicks, fat dudes, and a bartender who was plastered. Drink to get drunk :pint:

We slept in Saturday, then headed into the city to go to PS1. This was definitely the most pleasant suprise of the weekend. PS1 is MoMA's contemporary art museum, located in an old school building. In the summer they have DJs in their courtyard every saturday from 3 to 9 and it is a fucking PARTY. $6 to get in, $3.50 Brooklyn beers after that. We showed up to hear three DJs called the Triangle Orchestra playing techy, housey stuff. They were nasty and people were loving it. The courtyard there is big, and it was already pretty packed. People just dancing, sipping beers, and having fun on a nice, summer day. I haven't seen so many non-drug-induced smiling faces since middle school. PS1 is now my top spot for places i HAVE to go and get smoked up and visit. As if being outside and listening to awesome music aren't enough, once you're bored with that you can check out the museum inside. It's all contemporary art, and nothing was dated pre-2000. There was some SERIOUS mind-fuck kind of shit in there. Art made completely of metal and magnets that people could fuck with, a tower made of plastic, next to which was a 2-dimensional replica... made from finger nails, a room with about a dozen photographs of people at the scene of crimes they served time for but didn't commit, a blacklight lit room with white paint and furniture on the ceiling, and so on and so on. Most of it was really good, and would definitely blow your mind given the right circumstances (Not to mention, you can leave the museum grounds and re-enter no questions asked :smoke: ) - no doubt in my mind I'll hit this spot again next summer. It's unreal.

After checking out the museum we went back to the courtyard to find that it was PACKED. Well over 1000 people, all listening to Drum and Bass with a few live MCs. Not really our thing, so we headed out to get dinner at an excellent little Brazilian place that wasn't too far away.

After dinner we went back to brooklyn, decided to take a disco nap before Arc, and ended up oversleeping a bit. Rushed to get ready, headed to the subway just after hitting a bodega for a 33 oz Corona at 2:30 am. Can they really sell beer that late??? Once we got to Hubert St. we tried to go to Puffy's but they apparently close at 3... boo. Once again, no RBV's at Puffy's. Not a big deal, we got to Arc at 3:30 to hear Sander on the decks bangin' it. I'd never heard him before and I really, really liked his set. Banging progressive dance-floor movers for almost the entire night. Very similary to the Saeed & Palash set me and flava heard last time we were there. There was really no gap in the music until 7... every song was VERY dancable, and the crowd was eating it up. Danced our asses off until 7 or so, then the music got pretty boring. BSPF from 7 on, which was disappointing, but I was too tired to really dance at that point anyway. End of the night had him play some "How does it feel (tell me now, how does it feel)" remix, then a couple of 80's encours. One was a live version "I just can't get enough" and then Michael Jackson - "I want to ride with you (all night)". He ended early at 8am. Great, fun night despite the weak ending. I'd definitely check out Sander again.

Sunday slept in as long as we could then headed back. Traffic was a bitch until we got out of NYC, and we didn't get home until just before midnight.

Sorry for the insanely long review, but I'm still all ramped up over the weekend. So good all around, it's actually making Monday tolerable :)

Originally posted by whadupg

I can't believe you were in nyc and you didn't go out on sat night - that's so weak :tongue: PS1 sounds very cool though- I'll definetly need to check it out.

ummmmm, I was at arc for like 5 hours. That doesn't count for going out on a saturday :confused:

Here's a pic from PS1 on a different (more crowded) date. It was packed, but not sardine-packed like it is here. You could easily move around on saturday... looks like this day might have been a bit tough!

attachment.php?postid=502057.jpg

what a coincidence.....i had the best weekend i've ever had this year also :spin:

i totally forgot you were going to see sander this weekend, otherwise i would have called to tell you to stay away :laugh: he was so god-awful in montreal it wasnt funny. we got to hear the 15 minute edit of dark beat also :mad: thanks for the voicemail when he played it at arc :laugh:

farina saturday was absolutly incredible. he has won spot in the team j5 top 5 dj list after this past saturday. i am going to turn into a farina groupie and start following him all over the place to catch his sets. may have to fly over to fabric next month.

i love weekends that are so much fun all you can do is think back and start smiling uncontrolably

:)

Originally posted by teamj5

i am going to turn into a farina groupie and start following him all over the place to catch his sets. may have to fly over to fabric next month.

are you for real? would you really follow a dj around like that? don't you think he might get a little bit creeped out by a guy following him around so much? i don't mean to be rude but that comment just sort of makes me think of a stalker you know?

Originally posted by bi-o-logical

are you for real? would you really follow a dj around like that? don't you think he might get a little bit creeped out by a guy following him around so much? i don't mean to be rude but that comment just sort of makes me think of a stalker you know?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by bi-o-logical

You guys are making me paranoid b/c I think this person is a

FAKER.

Originally posted by teamj5

what a coincidence.....i had the best weekend i've ever had this year also :spin:

i totally forgot you were going to see sander this weekend, otherwise i would have called to tell you to stay away :laugh: he was so god-awful in montreal it wasnt funny. we got to hear the 15 minute edit of dark beat also :mad: thanks for the voicemail when he played it at arc :laugh:

farina saturday was absolutly incredible. he has won spot in the team j5 top 5 dj list after this past saturday. i am going to turn into a farina groupie and start following him all over the place to catch his sets. may have to fly over to fabric next month.

i love weekends that are so much fun all you can do is think back and start smiling uncontrolably

:)

Nice! I knew you'd have a good time up there, but I didn't think Sander would be so bad. He really was good at ARC, but his set started to fall right at the moment he played darkbeat (15 minute redux). You should've seen me when I heard him drop it... I got this HUGE smile on my face and deklab girl was like, "What the hell is going on." Then I completely panicked.. I was like "I have to call Tom", I went and dialed his number, realized it was like 6am and said, "No, wait I HAVE to call Mike." She had no clue what was going on and I was uncontrolably laughing the enitire time with my phone out, jamming to the darkest beat of them all. I'm glad you could tell what was up on the voicemail!

:laugh: that stalker comment is priceless