Clubplanet Nightlife Community

How many of you are djs?

lilliz77

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I guess I am retired, since I have not had a gig since I moved here. I did it back in my college days for parties and promoted events on campus such as foam parties and such. well when foam parties were cool, funny thing is they are still using my ideas for the parties. I mainly used CDJ's since it was the most conveniant for the college crowd. I think the most people i played to was around 1000 peeps, usually a couple of hundred.

The sound system I used was from a old club that shut down. It had some large bass cabinets , shitty mids, and ok Highs. Funny thing is, the place where we had the parties let the sound and bass travel to a neighborhood. I once got a noise complaints from a couple of blocks away. Those were the days.:cool:

Originally posted by lilliz77

what you want me to put,

"I never fuck, somebody tell me whats up...."?

just cause I am a freak, so I liked that better :tongue:

Yeah, because I never freak sounds like some censored radio bullshit. :laugh:

You can be a freak and fuck too.

I hate it when songwriters compromise their lyrics just to get some airplay.

If you want to write a song about fucking and so forth, do it!

Originally posted by pod

Pod are you coming out to Crobar on Friday the 22nd to see EV?

Originally posted by pod

wow, tell me how you really feel..haha! Actually I got this off of a track on a friend cd's (dmbootyilicious' boyfriend)...so he had both the "censored" version and the non-censored.

Originally posted by erickamikaze

Funny thing is, the place where we had the parties let the sound and bass travel to a neighborhood. I once got a noise complaints from a couple of blocks away. Those were the days.:cool:

once upon a time, i was spinning a patio party at the old saint nightclub in fort lauderdale. i was mixing together a couple of new order tracks when the manager suddenly pulled me out from behind the decks and dragged me out to the parking lot. i was thinking wtf, and then he held up his cell phone and said "listen." one of the local cops was calling from inside a house a block away, and i could clearly hear echoes of "blue monday." it wasn't even that loud on the patio, but apparently some unusual atmospheric conditions (it was cold and really, really foggy at 3 am) were causing the sound waves to travel low to the ground, instead of dissipating in all directions as per usual. i felt pretty bad about it, especially since i was always the one telling the other patio djs to keep it down.

so, to get back on topic, i guess i'm a dj, too.

tranz, this is like your third "dj wannabe" post. didn't someone already offer to teach you? beg, borrow, or steal some decks, make some time for it, and learn already. you don't know what you're missing. if you're still not sure, check out the "intellect" dvd set, which includes a dj tutorial disc featuring nigel richards of 611 records. it's the first decent "how to dj" instructional video i've seen that isn't devoted to turntablism.

Originally posted by saintjohn

tranz, this is like your third "dj wannabe" post. didn't someone already offer to teach you? beg, borrow, or steal some decks, make some time for it, and learn already. you don't know what you're missing. if you're still not sure, check out the "intellect" dvd set, which includes a dj tutorial disc featuring nigel richards of 611 records. it's the first decent "how to dj" instructional video i've seen that isn't devoted to turntablism.

lol I dont think you understand....

Like Tranz, I would love to have say Jimmy's skills.

But certainly not enough to actually put in the effort it takes to get them (not that I would live to be that old)

I also would like to have the skills to be a provolleyball player or even better super powers, since I can feel in my heart that my true calling is to be a super hero and fight crime from the shadows :)

Well, I'm a Bedroom DJ. Did many houseparties back in college, including a residency at my very own living room( :laugh: ), but nowadays i only do chillout sessions ;) More like afterhours or maybe an occasional preparty... Had a paying gig once in SoBe... played a party for the owner of the venue.. used to be called Jail on Ocean Drive (I hated the name of the place) but it had nice decor, very posh crowd.. SO i entertained the guests, played music on the main room, and projected the sound to the upstairs terrace... I was digging the power of the system, and def set the right mood for the party. It was sort of a test run, we were planning on a regular night. The idea sorta vanished.. i was dwn here for a cpl of months anyway, so it never worked out.. regardless, i had a great time...

Also DJ'd for the school radio station bringing an all dance radio show to the Pennsylvania country.. not too common out there, but had a lil following, def brought the music to the ppl! :D....

Eventhough I havent had a residency at a club or too many paying gigs, or just dont make a living off of it, I do consider myself a dj... bedroom , amateur, aficionado, whatever u may call it, its the love for the music, the party, the scene...laying one track after the next def. made me pick it up...

peace!

mp3.- :smoke:

Originally posted by shroomy

Like Tranz, I would love to have say Jimmy's skills.

But certainly not enough to actually put in the effort it takes to get them (not that I would live to be that old)

i'm not suggesting that anyone can become a club-qualified dj overnight, but learning the basics isn't all that difficult. you'll never know unless you try.

i always encourage people with a genuine passion for music to get involved. the world (especially miami) already has an over-abundance of so-called djs, but we still need people behind the decks who are in love with the music, not themselves. i'm over superstar (as opposed to veteran) djs. i want more than just an image.

jimmy t is a great example. there simply aren't enough guys in the business like him. i've played gigs with jimmy, and his mixing is awesome. what really impresses me, though, is his track selection. it's obvious that he loves the music, and he loves sharing it with people. ultimately, that's what matters most.

Originally posted by meng

Of all the dj's here am I the only jackass that doesn't own a pair of decks?

Nope, I am a jackass also, I guess. I have never owned a pair since before I moved here I had two or three friends that had decks and CDJ's. I never really had to worry about not having my own, I could always go to one of the local clubs and practice or a freinds house.