Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Palestinians Promise to Wage War on Hamas,Islamic Jihad

igloo

Palestinians Promise to Wage War on Hamas, Islamic Jihad

Wednesday, August 20, 2003

JERUSALEM — The Palestinian Authority on Wednesday promised to wage an "all out war" against Hamas and Islamic Jihad and appealed to Israelis not to retaliate for Tuesday's homicide bus bombing that killed 20, including five Americans.

Israel, however, decided Wednesday to carry out military strikes against terror suspects regardless of what the Palestinian Authority (search) does, a security official said on condition of anonymity.

Convened by Palestinian Prime Minister Mahmoud Abbas (search), the Palestinian Cabinet promised to confiscate weapons and arrest leaders where possible -- and there were reports that senior Hamas (search) leaders had gone underground to avoid arrest.

The Israeli raids were expected to begin later Wednesday. A column of 13 Israeli tanks was seen lining up outside the West Bank town of Ramallah, Palestinian witnesses said.

The Palestinian Cabinet promised that the rule of law in the West Bank and Gaza Strip would be enforced. The final say is up to Yasser Arafat (search) and top PLO officials, who will meet later Wednesday with ministers.

After the meeting, Abbas received a phone call from Secretary of State Colin Powell, who said "the Palestinian Authority should take immediate measures to stop the deterioration," Palestinian Information Minister Nabil Amr said.

Tuesday night's Jerusalem bus blast also wounded more than 100, including about 40 children, returning from the Western Wall, Judaism's holiest shrine. It was the deadliest Palestinian terror attack since the "road map" peace plan was unveiled three months ago by President Bush.

The Palestinian Authority's next move could well determine the fate of the U.S.-backed peace plan.

Earlier Wednesday, Palestinian security chief Mohammed Dahlan met with Palestinian security commanders in the Gaza Strip, ordering them "to be on high alert to implement whatever decision will be taken by the political leadership and the Palestinian Authority against those who were involved in yesterday's attack in Jerusalem," spokesman Elias Zananiri said.

Abbas, who could lose his job if violence persists, has said he will not confront the militants -- as required by the peace plan -- because he fears internal fighting.

Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon and top defense officials decided Wednesday to give Dahlan time to begin cracking down on the militants, a security official said on condition of anonymity.

Security officials decided against targeting Arafat, the defense official said. In the past, troops have besieged Arafat's West Bank headquarters.

Bush called Sharon on Wednesday, said Israel's vice premier, Ehud Olmert.

Abbas was meeting with Islamic Jihad leaders in Gaza City on Tuesday when he learned of the bombing. Condemning the attack as a "terrible crime," Abbas also broke off contact with Hamas and Islamic Jihad, called off upcoming trips to Italy and Norway, and convened the emergency Cabinet meeting.

U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan urged Abbas "to take decisive action to arrest the instigators of this attack and prevent such attacks from happening again," U.N. spokesman Fred Eckhard said in New York.

Yasser Abed Rabbo, the Palestinian Minister for Negotiations with Israel, said, "We have decided to boycott Hamas and Islamic Jihad, and at the same time the Palestinian leadership has instructed the Palestinian Cabinet and the Palestinian security services to take all necessary measures in order to preserve the Palestinian national interests."

In the Gaza Strip, Hamas leaders insisted Wednesday they remain committed to a three-month truce they and other militants declared unilaterally on June 29, but said they reserve the right to revenge the killings of operatives by Israeli troops.

There were indications that the bomber, disguised as an ultra-Orthodox Jew, tried to settle a personal score with the attack. The assailant, 29-year-old mosque preacher Raed Mesk from the West Bank city of Hebron, was friends with an Islamic Jihad leader in Hebron, Mohammed Sidr, who was killed by troops last week.

In the meantime, Israel froze all contacts with the Palestinian Authority and canceled the planned handover of two West Bank towns to Palestinian control, a move that was expected later this week. The Israeli army also closed border crossings to seal off the West Bank and Gaza Strip.

Palestinian legislator Saeb Erekat criticized Israel's decision, saying it was important to maintain contacts.

"The main message I want to send to the Americans is that ... every possible effort should be exerted to keep the road map and the truce alive," he said.

The homicide bomber detonated the explosives in the center of a tandem bus, which has two passenger sections, shortly after 9 p.m. on a main thoroughfare.

Five of those killed were American citizens, a U.S. Embassy official said Wednesday.

They included Mordechai Reinitz, 47, and his son, Yitzhak, 18, who lived in the Israeli coastal town of Netanya and had dual Israeli-American citizenship, embassy spokesman Paul Patin said. Their U.S. hometown was not immediately known.

Goldie Taubenfeld, 43, and her 5-month-old son, Shmuel, who were visiting from New Square, N.Y., also were killed, according to Patin and a family statement. Taubenfeld had 13 children.

The fifth American victim was identified as Tihilla Nathanson, 3, from Monsey, N.Y.

Zvi Weiss, an 18-year-old seminary student from New York, was sitting in the front of the bus and escaped unharmed.

"The bomb went off at the back of the bus. Everything went black. I climbed out of the broken window and started running. All around me there were people covered in blood, screaming, some with limbs missing," Weiss said.

The bomb was packed with bits of metal for greater deadliness, police said.

The blast, just across from a synagogue, blew a hole in the bus roof and shattered the windows of a passing bus.

In an Israeli prison, Palestinian security prisoners applauded and passed out candy when they learned of the bombing, the Israel Prisons Authority said. Inmate leaders were sent into isolation and the rest had their TV sets removed as punishment, the authority said.

Since the intefadeh began in September 2000, more than 2,400 people have been killed on the Palestinian side and more than 800 on the Israeli side.

Fox News' Jonathan Hunt and The Associated Press contributed to this repor

how can anyone possibly compare israel and paletinians???

israel kills a know killer who would cost numerous israeli lives if he were to remain alive

palestinians go after INNOCENT civilians and many CHILDREN as revenge

how in hell can you possible compare the two?

sassa, you really dont see he difference? you still say innocent people are hurt on both sides?

I really dont see why these terror groups continue their struggle. Has terrorist bombing done anything to help their cause? I really dont see Israel leaving their lands yet maybe diplomacy might be worth a try, Israel has the upper hand not the palestinians.

Originally posted by breakbeatz2

israel kills a know killer who would cost numerous israeli lives if he were to remain alive

sassa, you really dont see he difference? you still say innocent people are hurt on both sides?

for pete's sake. take your thumb out of your ass, and stop being such a racist, whiny little bitch. and you expect me and others to take what you say for the truth? PLEASE. if you were so right, you wouldn't be such a racist, self-hating bigot. if you were truly fair and respectful, you'd realize that you cannot brand an entire race or an entire ethnic group as being one lump. there are good and bad israelis. there are also good and bad palestinians. get over it. and educate yourself. you talk as if you know it all. i know kids that wouldn't dare make such horrible, biased, ignorant comments like you do. :blown::rolleyes: :rolleyes:

now, come back with some dumb, ignorant comment. that seems to be your trademark. :rolleyes:

too late...Israel responded this morning.....

Missile Attack Kills Senior Hamas Official

GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip - An Israeli helicopter fired five missiles at the car of a senior Hamas official Thursday, killing him and two bodyguards, the Islamic militant group said.

Hamas said it no longer felt bound by a three-month unilateral cease-fire it declared June 29 and threatened retaliation. Two days earlier, Hamas had carried out a suicide bombing in Jerusalem, killing 20 people, but insisted at the time it was still observing the truce.

"We consider ourselves free from this cease-fire," said a Hamas official, Ibrahim Hanieh.

The Hamas official killed in the missile strike was identified as Ismail Abu Shanab.

There was no immediate comment by the Israeli military. In the past, Israel has repeatedly killed wanted Palestinians in targeted missile attacks. Israel had suspended the practice after militants declared the truce.

An Israeli Foreign Ministry official, Gideon Meir, said the Hamas political leaders were behind attacks on Israelis and must be held accountable, but would not say explicitly that Israel was behind the missile strike.

"There's no question that there is a direct link between the heads of Hamas and the terrorists on the ground," he said.

Witnesses said Abu Shanab's gold-colored station wagon was driving in the Rimal neighborhood and had slowed down to avoid a large stone in the road when a first missile struck the front of the vehicle. A second missile quickly followed, said Naim Shaban, who owns a metal workshop nearby.

"I threw myself under a table in my shop, and the explosions continued," said Shaban. "Flames were coming from everywhere. When it stopped, I saw one helicopter turning west, toward the sea. I rushed to the car, and saw people burning inside."

Three scorched bodies were pulled from the burning car. Two of the dead were identified as Abu Shanab's bodyguards. The third victim was decapitated, making identification more difficult.

Hanieh identified Abu Shanab at a morgue in a Gaza City hospital.

Dozens of Hamas supporters at the scene dunked their fists in blood and soot, raised them in the air and threatened revenge, chanting "God is great."

In June, Israel fired missiles at the car of another Hamas leader, Abdel Aziz Rantisi, who escaped with minor injuries.

Originally posted by mrmatas2277

too late...Israel responded this morning.....

Missile Attack Kills Senior Hamas Official

GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip - An Israeli helicopter fired five missiles at the car of a senior Hamas official Thursday, killing him and two bodyguards, the Islamic militant group said.

:clap2: :clap2:

Let's hope they exterminate every last one of them....for once and for all.....

Although than Sassa will have no one to defend

I think it was a bad move on Israel's part to do this. They should have given Abbas a bit more time to act...maybe passed on knowledge of this Hamas leader's whereabouts so he could have been arrested by the PA. This continuing cycle of violence does nothing...Israel cannot eliminate every terrorist, since for every one killed another 10 spring up.

By sidestepping the PA (especially after telling them they'd give them time to act), all Israel is doing is undermining its authority - something Israel should not do if it wants true peace.

Originally posted by igloo

:clap2: :clap2:

Let's hope they exterminate every last one of them....for once and for all.....

Although than Sassa will have no one to defend

The problem is, there will NEVER be a "for all". This is just another cog in that endless cycle of violence.

yeah, Israel does not target civilians when it drops a one ton bomb in a crowded residential neighbourhood!

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by raver_mania

The problem is, there will NEVER be a "for all". This is just another cog in that endless cycle of violence.

There is a part of me that agrees with you 110%........

Than there is a part of me that says perhaps before things can get better, than have to get worse......and by worse I mean Israel launches a full extermination attack......yes, it is impossible to nail every one......but kill the majority and then, just then, perhaps Abbas and the PA can exert some real control .....

BTW....Arafat needs to be dealt with once and for all as well if Abbas is going to have any real power....

Originally posted by raver_mania

I think it was a bad move on Israel's part to do this. They should have given Abbas a bit more time to act...maybe passed on knowledge of this Hamas leader's whereabouts so he could have been arrested by the PA....all Israel is doing is undermining its authority - something Israel should not do if it wants true peace.

usually i agree with u...but not this time...Israel "only" targeted Hamas people and "only" Hamas leadership was killed...to my knowledge, no civilians were killed...i am against Israel targeting civilians, now and in past campaigns...but this was a good strike, took out who they needed and no one else was hurt...and as far as giving the info to the PA and Abbas and letting them deal with it...u know nothing would have happened and they would have gotten away....its not Abbas' fault, many DO NOT WANT peace from the his side and they undermined him alot...u wanna blame someone for undermining the peace process? blame Hamas or Arafat for not doing enough....

if you blame Arafat for not doing enough, you wasting your breath. he never wanted to do anything, not just do enough. the only way arafat remained in control is if the people were angry, poor, and hungry. arafat intentionally sabotaged the peace talks and encited his people to violence. arafat should be the next one to get hit by an israeli missile. although that would just make him a martyr in the face of the arab world and lead to more bullshit.

and abou generalizations. why cant i make eneralizations when for the last three years its been the SAME story over and over and over again.

sassa, i used to think you were an intelligent person that just too a wrong turn somewhere....

but with the shit you've been spewing lately, and especially with what is going on now, i've really lost any and all resepct for you

if you blame Arafat for not doing enough, you wasting your breath. he never wanted to do anything, not just do enough. the only way arafat remained in control is if the people were angry, poor, and hungry. arafat intentionally sabotaged the peace talks and encited his people to violence. arafat should be the next one to get hit by an israeli missile. although that would just make him a martyr in the face of the arab world and lead to more bullshit.

and abou generalizations. why cant i make eneralizations when for the last three years its been the SAME story over and over and over again.

sassa, i used to think you were an intelligent person that just too a wrong turn somewhere....

but with the shit you've been spewing lately, and especially with what is going on now, i've really lost any and all resepct for you

Sassa has never demonstrated any sign of intelligence

Originally posted by mrmatas2277

i stand corrected...Arafat HASNT DONE ANYTHING...and i agree that man should be dealt with....

Actually, he has done something........he is a terrorist that has blown every chance to gives Palestinians a chance at peace...

He also has amassed a net worth of $1.9 billion......

how did my name get involved with this AGAIN when everyone else responded? do you have some sort of pathetic vendetta? get over yourself. you're not cool when you talk shit. enough is enough. be an adult, stick to the topic, and enough of the 3rd playground bullshit. i find it sad that over 5 people responded to this yet you have to bring me up yet again. what is your problem, seriously? get help.

Originally posted by sassa

how did my name get involved with this AGAIN when everyone else responded? do you have some sort of pathetic vendetta? get over yourself. you're not cool when you talk shit. enough is enough. be an adult, stick to the topic, and enough of the 3rd playground bullshit. i find it sad that over 5 people responded to this yet you have to bring me up yet again. what is your problem, seriously? get help.

:laugh:

i'm just astounded that you can be so dogmatic and narrow minded

you seemed smarter than that to me

Israeli pits U.S. politics against 'road map' plan

By Julia Duin

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Israeli tourism minister Benyamin Elon has embarked on a "Bible Belt tour" to exploit evangelical Christian enthusiasm for Israel, to lure Christian tourists back to Israel and to derail President Bush's "road map" to Middle East peace.

Mr. Elon visited in Memphis, at the juncture of Tennessee, Arkansas and Mississippi, as his first stop.

Some evangelical Christian leaders say the "road map," which they argue puts Israel at a disadvantage in the Middle East, must go if the president retains his Christian base in next year's presidential elections.

"We either have to oppose the road map or oppose the Bible," says Mike Evans, founder of the Jerusalem Prayer Team, a coalition of 1,700 churches. "Evangelicals have no debate on this issue."

The first phase of the road map, agreed upon by Israeli and Palestinian leaders at a June 4 peace summit convened by Mr. Bush, envisions Israeli and Palestinian states existing side by side; Israel would return land occupied since September 2000 and dismantle West Bank settlements built since March 2001, and Palestinians would cut ties to all terrorist groups, set up their own constitution and hold multiparty elections.

"Bible-believing Christians believe all that land belongs to Israel," says Ed MacAteer, co-founder of Moral Majority and founder of the Religious Roundtable, an umbrella organization of several evangelical groups.

"It is a fatal, fatal mistake that George Bush is making," he says with colloquial emphasis. "[President Bush] is probably the most powerful man in the world, but he ain't more powerful than God. And God gave them that land. Every grain of sand on that piece of property belongs to the Jews because God gave it to [them]."

Mr. MacAteer is part of a coalition of Christians and Jews that has raised $70,000 to pay for 114 billboards urging Americans to call the White House to tell Mr. Bush not to violate "God's covenant with Israel."

The coalition, Americans for a Safe Israel, based in New York, is chaired by Herb Zweibon, a Jewish conservative who says the signs will be up for at least six months to apply "pressure on [presidential adviser Karl] Rove and company." The Web site address is www.AFSI.org.

His group "recognized a long time ago that the key to Israel's well-being would be with the Zionist Christian Right; those who believe in Scripture," he says. "That's where we are coming from."

Thus Mr. Elon is averaging one trip per month to make Israeli views known in states where the Jewish state sees a receptive audience. "The Bible Belt is a very important target for Israel," he says, adding that Israel is raising its annual tourism budget for North America from $1.1 million to $3 million.

"We wish to thank those who have not abandoned us," he says. "In the past three years, those who have come were Jews — out of solidarity — and evangelical Christians. They are saying to [Palestinian leader Yasser] Arafat: 'You cannot force us to change our way of life to uproot Israel from the Holy Land.' "

He opposes a Palestinian state on the West Bank and suggests Palestinians either relocate to Jordan or live under Israeli sovereignty.

"I really think the road map won't work because we are doing the same mistakes of the Oslo Accords," he says. "It's just a question of time before everyone understands the road map is a road trap."

To make sure Mr. Bush gets the message to preserve Israel's biblical boundaries, several groups of pro-Israel Christians and Jews, including a "Battalion of Deborah," planned 13 hours of demonstrations and marches yesterday in Crawford, Texas, where the president is spending much of August.

"Preserving the biblical territorial integrity of the state of Israel should be the cornerstone of President Bush's road map to peace," reads a statement, citing the account of Deborah saving the Israelites in the Bible's Book of Judges, on www.battalionofdeborah.org. "No more land for peace and rewarding Islamic-jihad terrorism with PLO statehood."

Mr. Zweibon argues that it is in Mr. Bush's interest to listen to his Christian base.

"One year after the [2000] election, Karl Rove gave a speech to the American Enterprise Institute, saying they expected 19 million of the Christian Right to show up [for it]. Only 15 million did, so 4 million of those people did not vote. Well, tell me what President Bush has done for them since. Absolutely nothing. [The Bush administration has] been catering to the Muslim community."

Gary Bauer, a candidate for president in 2000 and president of American Values, a think tank, is meeting with Mr. Elon.

"I think there is great skepticism among many conservative Christians about the road map," he says. "Even though they love the president, there's growing feeling we should stop holding Israel to a different standard than we hold ourselves to, especially regarding terrorists. When Israel gets attacked, the secretary of state tells Israel to restrain itself. But when we get attacked, we massively respond, as any democracy should."

One issue dear to Christians is access to their holy sites, says Roberta Combs, president of the Christian Coalition and one of the Christian leaders scheduled to meet with Mr. Elon. When she toured Israel last November, access to Bethlehem — the birthplace of Christ — and to the Temple Mount, where Christians believe He will return as Messiah, was forbidden because of the ongoing intifada.

"Christian support for Israel is very strong," she says. "It's not good for Israel that Christians cannot visit their holy sites, and I don't think many Christians know this."

Originally posted by sassa

Israeli pits U.S. politics against 'road map' plan

By Julia Duin

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Israeli tourism minister Benyamin Elon has embarked on a "Bible Belt tour" to exploit evangelical Christian enthusiasm for Israel, to lure Christian tourists back to Israel and to derail President Bush's "road map" to Middle East peace.

Mr. Elon visited in Memphis, at the juncture of Tennessee, Arkansas and Mississippi, as his first stop.

Some evangelical Christian leaders say the "road map," which they argue puts Israel at a disadvantage in the Middle East, must go if the president retains his Christian base in next year's presidential elections.

"We either have to oppose the road map or oppose the Bible," says Mike Evans, founder of the Jerusalem Prayer Team, a coalition of 1,700 churches. "Evangelicals have no debate on this issue."

The first phase of the road map, agreed upon by Israeli and Palestinian leaders at a June 4 peace summit convened by Mr. Bush, envisions Israeli and Palestinian states existing side by side; Israel would return land occupied since September 2000 and dismantle West Bank settlements built since March 2001, and Palestinians would cut ties to all terrorist groups, set up their own constitution and hold multiparty elections.

"Bible-believing Christians believe all that land belongs to Israel," says Ed MacAteer, co-founder of Moral Majority and founder of the Religious Roundtable, an umbrella organization of several evangelical groups.

"It is a fatal, fatal mistake that George Bush is making," he says with colloquial emphasis. "[President Bush] is probably the most powerful man in the world, but he ain't more powerful than God. And God gave them that land. Every grain of sand on that piece of property belongs to the Jews because God gave it to [them]."

Mr. MacAteer is part of a coalition of Christians and Jews that has raised $70,000 to pay for 114 billboards urging Americans to call the White House to tell Mr. Bush not to violate "God's covenant with Israel."

The coalition, Americans for a Safe Israel, based in New York, is chaired by Herb Zweibon, a Jewish conservative who says the signs will be up for at least six months to apply "pressure on [presidential adviser Karl] Rove and company." The Web site address is www.AFSI.org.

His group "recognized a long time ago that the key to Israel's well-being would be with the Zionist Christian Right; those who believe in Scripture," he says. "That's where we are coming from."

Thus Mr. Elon is averaging one trip per month to make Israeli views known in states where the Jewish state sees a receptive audience. "The Bible Belt is a very important target for Israel," he says, adding that Israel is raising its annual tourism budget for North America from $1.1 million to $3 million.

"We wish to thank those who have not abandoned us," he says. "In the past three years, those who have come were Jews — out of solidarity — and evangelical Christians. They are saying to [Palestinian leader Yasser] Arafat: 'You cannot force us to change our way of life to uproot Israel from the Holy Land.' "

He opposes a Palestinian state on the West Bank and suggests Palestinians either relocate to Jordan or live under Israeli sovereignty.

"I really think the road map won't work because we are doing the same mistakes of the Oslo Accords," he says. "It's just a question of time before everyone understands the road map is a road trap."

To make sure Mr. Bush gets the message to preserve Israel's biblical boundaries, several groups of pro-Israel Christians and Jews, including a "Battalion of Deborah," planned 13 hours of demonstrations and marches yesterday in Crawford, Texas, where the president is spending much of August.

"Preserving the biblical territorial integrity of the state of Israel should be the cornerstone of President Bush's road map to peace," reads a statement, citing the account of Deborah saving the Israelites in the Bible's Book of Judges, on www.battalionofdeborah.org. "No more land for peace and rewarding Islamic-jihad terrorism with PLO statehood."

Mr. Zweibon argues that it is in Mr. Bush's interest to listen to his Christian base.

"One year after the [2000] election, Karl Rove gave a speech to the American Enterprise Institute, saying they expected 19 million of the Christian Right to show up [for it]. Only 15 million did, so 4 million of those people did not vote. Well, tell me what President Bush has done for them since. Absolutely nothing. [The Bush administration has] been catering to the Muslim community."

Gary Bauer, a candidate for president in 2000 and president of American Values, a think tank, is meeting with Mr. Elon.

"I think there is great skepticism among many conservative Christians about the road map," he says. "Even though they love the president, there's growing feeling we should stop holding Israel to a different standard than we hold ourselves to, especially regarding terrorists. When Israel gets attacked, the secretary of state tells Israel to restrain itself. But when we get attacked, we massively respond, as any democracy should."

One issue dear to Christians is access to their holy sites, says Roberta Combs, president of the Christian Coalition and one of the Christian leaders scheduled to meet with Mr. Elon. When she toured Israel last November, access to Bethlehem — the birthplace of Christ — and to the Temple Mount, where Christians believe He will return as Messiah, was forbidden because of the ongoing intifada.

"Christian support for Israel is very strong," she says. "It's not good for Israel that Christians cannot visit their holy sites, and I don't think many Christians know this."

the bible belt is one of the most scary places I have ever been to. No liquor, churches on every street corner, "Jesus Saves" and "Repent" signs and billboards everywhere, and lawn ornaments of black slaves (life size).

:worry: