Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Miami's Underground House Scene

philippio

Originally posted by philippio

Lyrik, we seem to have the same idea as to who's west coast. I find DJ Dan's stuff more proggy (in a good way) although there have been some excellent west coast remixes from the likes of H Foundation (namely Put the Record Back On). His sets are definitely something not to be missed. I really like his "dirty" mixing style and quirky effects.

I agree....if your in Miami..why don't you check Mirage out tonight... I'm originally from chicago so most of my tracks are funky chicago/west coast influenced....and if you can't make it....stop by the CP BBQ at my house on labor day weekend...Sat. 30th.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doc Martin, Dubtribe even Mark Farina released some comps under imperial dub. That's what I thought was the west coast sound was as well.

Well, Dubtribe Sound System is one of my favourites and I consider them the West Coast House camp and Doc Martin too. I really liked his latest Fabric set. Dubtribe came out with their latest on vinyl 'Baggage' which some people didn't like. I thought it was quite good. Not as good as Do It Now and Equitoreal. For me, those are just priceless!

Originally posted by philippio

Doc Martin, Dubtribe even Mark Farina released some comps under imperial dub. That's what I thought was the west coast sound was as well.

Well, Dubtribe Sound System is one of my favourites and I consider them the West Coast House camp and Doc Martin too. I really liked his latest Fabric set. Dubtribe came out with their latest on vinyl 'Baggage' which some people didn't like. I thought it was quite good. Not as good as Do It Now and Equitoreal. For me, those are just priceless!

Dubtribe is one of my top ten fav acts of all time...the vibe they produce is unreal!

Guest saleen351

not for nothing, people use to talk about djs like bad boy bill and dj dan back in the mid to late 90's. Heck i use to call my buddy Dan, dj dan... fact is dan was a good dj back then when house was alive and kicking, and now that it sucks, djs like dj dan are long forgotten... there was a million dj dans out there in the 90's, and according to all including me, they all were sick djs.. Then the crowd got off drugs, got jobs and realized the sounds they create is merely two records and some equpiment, they aren't doing any thing special... And now they are gone... long forgotten... Denny is still around cause of the seasonal clubs in NJ, which is rare, most clubs are open year round, but NJ clubs aren't, so djs can continue to do well, cause by the time you get tired of the club, it closes for the season and you go to other clubs that just open...

but if nj was just like miami, all the djs would be in much worse shape...

but what do i know, i'm only a club legend...

Originally posted by jcmia

DJ Dan ???, really ??? the problem is that people don't come out for theses gigs ! I went to see Mauricio Aviles last year at Oxygen and the place emptied out by 3. recently for Marques W. and Opium was somewhat empty !! (just a few examples of nights that should have been packed !). I think people too much about the scene rather than the music

I made it out to all of those :aright:

Originally posted by saleen351

not for nothing, people use to talk about djs like bad boy bill and dj dan back in the mid to late 90's. Heck i use to call my buddy Dan, dj dan... fact is dan was a good dj back then when house was alive and kicking, and now that it sucks, djs like dj dan are long forgotten... there was a million dj dans out there in the 90's, and according to all including me, they all were sick djs.. Then the crowd got off drugs, got jobs and realized the sounds they create is merely two records and some equpiment, they aren't doing any thing special... And now they are gone... long forgotten... Denny is still around cause of the seasonal clubs in NJ, which is rare, most clubs are open year round, but NJ clubs aren't, so djs can continue to do well, cause by the time you get tired of the club, it closes for the season and you go to other clubs that just open...

but if nj was just like miami, all the djs would be in much worse shape...

but what do i know, i'm only a club legend...

Are fucking kidding me??? :rolleyes:

:laugh:

... there was a million dj dans out there in the 90's, and according to all including me, they all were sick djs.. Then the crowd got off drugs, got jobs and realized the sounds they create is merely two records and some equpiment, they aren't doing any thing special... And now they are gone... long forgotten...

WTF are you talking about Saleena? DJ Dan is still around and kicking hard. He still has huge pull here on the west coast. When he spins out here, even retired clubbers come out to hear him spin.

If you think house is dead, thats just YOU fading out saleena! House can never die! NEVER!

Originally posted by sandiegino

WTF are you talking about Saleena? DJ Dan is still around and kicking hard. He still has huge pull here on the west coast. When he spins out here, even retired clubbers come out to hear him spin.

If you think house is dead, thats just YOU fading out saleena! House can never die! NEVER!

:aright:

Besides...I wouldn't even define Dan as West Coast House....West Coast House to me is Migs, Jay-J and Chris Lum, Marques Wyatt....Dan is much harder than what people usually think West Coast House is. He's damn Funky as hell and one of the best technical House DJs around.

I think the reason Dan brings it harder is because he was a techno DJ before a house dj. Even now, hell drop some techno-ish tracks in his sets. I just heard him last month and he was definitely harder than the other House DJs that night. As soon as he got on, the people lost it.

Oh def. agree....I remember early days of Funky Tekno Tribe and how Dan was alot harder and then shifted to a hard funky house sound and now he's getting back to spinning hard again... I also remember when Glaude use to spin breaks too!

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by sandiegino

first off, house is over.... the clubs, the lables, the magazines etc are all going out of business, heck even ibiza is not doing the numbers they once did...

the house explosion was due to:

1. it was a new sound years ago

2. lack of drug laws

3. lack of cracking down on drug users

4. economy wsa great best ever during peace time

now in 2003

1. the sound is nothing ground breaking and new

2.drugs are felonies now

3. they are cracking down on drug users and shutting clubs down

4. economy is terrible right now...

it won't come back, even if the economy does come back and people have the discretionary income to buy drugs and party more, something new should come along.. Look at the history of music, nothing EVER comes back...

classic rock didn't

disco didn't

rap didn't

hip hop won't

jazee didn't

classical didn't

r and b didn't

grunge didn't

etc...

seems only POP music and boy bands can every come back in style..

And think about this, from march of 1991 under Bush, was the begining of the greastest peace time expansion in the US economy, up till 2000.

YOU WILL NEVER SEE THIS EXPANSION IN THE ECONOMY AGAIN!

it's ova... I know of no one that listens to it anymore, sure they want to hear it out at a club or lounge, but thats because hip hop is for little kids..

ktu and 93.1 don't even play house!!!!!!!!!! it's vocal trance...

:direct: Ok here is the skinny. I'm from San Fran. I was in the scene and music there before it was even labled as West Coast house. It was just house. The originators of that music were Dj. Jeno, Markie,Garth, Doc Martin, Spun, Mark Farina. Tony. Dj Dan and a couple of others. The name of the Party's were Wicked, The gathering, Stompy, Vision, Mushroom Jazz and if you know anything about the "West Coast House Scene" you can never forget the party that Started it all. Full Moon Party's on Santa Cruz beach.

It is sad to say but those day's are over.

SALEEN brings up alot of valid points. In alot of ways he is right on the money as far as the reality of our music.

Times are rough. I've almost givin up myself.

I moved to Miami thinking that this place had alot to offer as far as music. To me alot of people don't care about music they care about the cheesy, who's who , wait in line forever, E-Channel, spend a fortune for a drink vibe..... to and in which has destroyed the true meaning of the underground thing that we do.

Anyways I wish you all luck and hopefully those differences will bring us back together to celebrate good music and true Vibe.

One.

J.C.:)