Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Religion

ironic isn't it.....

does anyone consider buddhism a religion, btw? I used to, but now consider it a philosophy more than anything...

the sad thing about religion, in my opinion, is that first of all people use it as a means to escape this world's misery mentally. it's not nice knowing that you can expect nothing after death after all the pain and hardships you have to go through in life. people also use it to get through life when things hit them too hard.....

but then, there are those people who take it too far, who think that if they excessively pray or do too many things in the name of religion, no matter how harmful it is towards people of other faiths, that is ok, that will guarantee them good tidings with their God, whomever it may be.

like the crusades for example. it's sad that the popes of that time just wanted more money for the Church, and so provoked these Christians who don't know any better to go to the Holy Land and fight for their rightful land back. cracks me up.....

and now al-qaeda uses religion as an excuse to do the same.

these people are bad examples of how a simple faith can be a basis for murder and destruction, quite depressing actually.

OT: i've been subscribed to this magazine for a few years now, it's very slanted and weird. but also interesting at the same time... http://www.thetrumpet.com

Most of these loonies (past and present) just use religion to further their own selfish goals, be it money, power, or both.

I personally feel religion is a crutch for humanity. Well, I wouldn't call myself a complete atheist, but my beliefs in after-life and such are not similar to any religions. Well, maybe Buddhism.

Originally posted by raver_mania

Most of these loonies (past and present) just use religion to further their own selfish goals, be it money, power, or both.

I personally feel religion is a crutch for humanity. Well, I wouldn't call myself a complete atheist, but my beliefs in after-life and such are not similar to any religions. Well, maybe Buddhism.

I agree with ya. I see people as thinking they have everything figured out about the world but the fact is we have no clue so i do not believe nor disbelieve in a god i just have no clue about what the truth is i just live a good life.

jesus would be pissed with all those people making money off of his image on the cross.

like Karl Marx mr Jesus Christ has been misinterpreted by those not as great as himself, for their own dubious ends.

not to say that the church is *all* bad.

but erm, it's done a lot bad.

Originally posted by marksimons

jesus would be pissed with all those people making money off of his image on the cross.

like Karl Marx mr Jesus Christ has been misinterpreted by those not as great as himself, for their own dubious ends.

not to say that the church is *all* bad.

but erm, it's done a lot bad.

well, my take on christianity is that it's not what jesus was preaching during his life. first of all, didn't it start over a century after he died? so, right there i would think that should tip people off that it's dubious.... then look at how the vatican was created, ironically, by rome. then look at the history of the popes who had power (many were bisexual and gay, which the Church abhores, can you say two-faced?) then during medieval times, the Church took loads of money from people guaranteeing them a spot in heaven. this is WRONG, how can mere mortals do that in place of God (if one exists?) finally, look at how the crusades started, the vatican needed money, and used the faith to create a zealous campaign to propel faithful practicing christians to go to the mid east and take jerusalem from muslims. a lot of wrongdoing. there's just so many things that are wrong with the church.

off topics: agnostics have an interesting view on religion...

no-one expects the spanish inquisition.

and the catholic church seems like peadophiles inc.

a bit unfair.

but.

well.

nah...

religion is, as marx, and other people said, the opium for the masses. but erm. not as fun.

religion is fucked.

christianity isn't what jesus was preaching.

he was a hippy.

sandal wearing, long haired, peace loving, weed using, beatnick hippy.

weed using is correct, I think... there is a history of cannabis oil being used in the judaic religion for medicinal purposes apparently. also. the word assasin is a middle eastern origin, comes from hashish, apparently they'd get these kids sedated with whores and weed and then they'd go out and kill and rob people. my how times have changed. anyway, jesus would have had access to the good 'erb... in the right place for it.

can you imagine him being a fire and brimstone with us or against us violence when necessary dude? methinks not. otherwise his story wouldn't have survived so long.

Originally posted by marksimons

no-one expects the spanish inquisition.

monty python lol

yeah, well anyways, i agree with what has been said on the thread. i do believe in God and stuff, and am Catholic and stuff but I really do not feel the need of having to do every single thing the Catholic Church says people should do.