Clubplanet Nightlife Community

wtf happened to KTU?!?

Originally posted by disk-ofreak

i forgot which nites it is, but tune into 92.7, most of the time they play gay rock, but its either wed, or thurdsy nites, most sat nites( liquid todd, but i'm not sure if they still have that show), they play some tribal, deep house, and some prog. trance, sometimes ktu does that on sat nites, but sometimes its reeeally shitty.

Disk-ofreak,

I'm actually on 92.3 K-Rock on Saturday nights from 10pm-2am. Been there for almost seven years now (yikes!) although my timeslot has changed a few times. (I was on at midnight for a couple of years there.)

I play some pretty awesome stuff (if I do say so myself ;-) - everything from remixes of rock tracks, to hip-hop, breaks - even a little trance and house. After midnight I do a mix and there is a guest DJ every week from 1-2am.

I agree with pretty much everyone that NY radio is pretty terrible. I would only do a show on K-Rock if they let me play whatever the hell I want. So if you don't like it you know who to blame. Me.

I also just started a new show on Sirius Satellite Radio (Friday nights 9-mid on Alt Nation 21). Satellite radio awesome. All of Sirius's music streams are commercial free (unlike XM) and you can see what song is playing right on the screen. If you're as huge a fan of music as I am I think you'll really dig it. You can find out more about the two services at www.sirius.com or www.xm**********.

Okay, I'm done...gotta get back to work!

-LT

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dont forget, before country 103, there was HOT 103, which later turned to HOT 97, then years later it became all HIP-HOP.

KTU calls itself "THE NEW KTU" because it wants to let people know it is not the old 92 KTU.

I know, any moron can tell the difference but thats what the station directors tell me.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i forgot which nites it is, but tune into 92.7, most of the time they play gay rock, but its either wed, or thurdsy nites, most sat nites( liquid todd, but i'm not sure if they still have that show), they play some tribal, deep house, and some prog. trance, sometimes ktu does that on sat nites, but sometimes its reeeally shitty.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i was in the 92.7 offices yesterday.

Word is that LATINOMIX 105.9 has bought the station and they will be expanding thier spanish sound over 92.7.

so, i hope you wont miss 92.7 that much!

Originally posted by vixenfoxxy

No, we do understand that, but we still think it's a bit excessive when hip hop has 97.1, 107.5 or something, and 105.1 exclusively, plus the majority of play time on Z100, KC101 ecc. so now that what is supposed to be the dance station is playing it too, we're irritated.

I will flat out admit I'm a jaded house head. I think it blows that the clubs hat were once ruled by house and now empty shells that dole out boring, played out on the radio already rap tracks that all sound the same and mention nothing besides how cool my car is, how tight my ho's ass is squeezed into her jeans, and how much cristalle i bought in an unimpressive VIP room. Don't get me wrong, I like hip hop, but I like what it used to be - biggie, tupac, run DMC, skee-lo (lol!)...

and i'm not hating. one of my good friends is a great hip hop DJ, and i respect what he, and the other hip hop djs do, but i think the market is desperately saturated and completely parched of originality.

I agree completely...this is exactly what has happened in Philly over the past 5 years...there's now 4 stations there that play the same overplayed hip-hop tracks...and my friends want to know why I complain when they play it at clubs :mad:

Originally posted by liquidtodd

BTW - WKTU was originally located at 92.3 FM on the dial (currently WXRK-FM - K-Rock) and positioned itself as "92 WKTU."

Happy new year, everybody!

-LT

KTU(which at the time had the call letters WYNY) was never on 92.3, it swapped positions with WQHT (97.1) in 1988 and moved to 1035. WQHT is now Hot 97 used to be called "Hot 103" before the swap.

Originally posted by mikeynine999

ktu is only good late nite fri and late nite sat thats it

I agree too. I like to hear and record the sets that some of these dj's play but it's hit or miss a majority of the time. To me it seems that these djs record their sets earlier in the day and then they are played back between 3-5 am on Fri's and Sat's? Is that right? Am also wondering if any of the newest stereo systems come with a cd burner so that I could record sets on cds rther than tapes? I don't have time to listen to KTU on a daliy basis but I feel that KTU has a tendency to play out certain songs just like many other stations do as well. It's a very ugly trend to follow!! :no:

ktu sucks!

I abandoned radio a while back. It's the same old songs that SUCK! From their bullshit dance vocals to hip hop that rarely speaks of anything positive but bling blinging and how to lynch people with gat! or simply degrading women.

I wish there were a station that played HOUSE MUSIC fo' my nervvveeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzz!

Originally posted by berniec

KTU(which at the time had the call letters WYNY) was never on 92.3, it swapped positions with WQHT (97.1) in 1988 and moved to 1035. WQHT is now Hot 97 used to be called "Hot 103" before the swap.

Your so wrong. in the early 80's, 92.3 was KTU.

It went by names such as WKTU 92.3

"Disco 92," & "92 KTU.

I have an interview of the beastie boys in 1987 on the howard stern show. as they enter the office, Mike d exclaims "hey.....wasnt this the same place where that disco KTU station was?"