Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Your First Experience With Electronic Dance

obby

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in Athens at a nightclub with friends and behind the decks, in the darkness, I saw a guy wearing a Yankees hat. Of course I had no clue at that time that this was none other than the legendary Danny Tenaglia and that his set that night would be immortalized in what would become Global Underground 010: Athens!!! When he dropped 2 Right Wrongans' System Error, I was hooked. And that was it!!!

I don't have a year available...but it had to be between 92 and 93...what it was know as re-mixes...12" mixes, actually...Depeche Mode and Simple Mind's extended versions were highly popular, also typical of the era were industrial tracks, such as "Harley David Son Of A Bitch" and Ministry's "Jesus Built My Hot-Rod"...that sort'a thing...

The places to go were Kitchen Club, The Spot (yes, with a very young resident George Acosta) and of course The Edge (now The Chili Pepper on the way to Laudy)...electronic music as we know it today...I have to say The Mix w/ David Padilla was where lots of us were introduced to it.

This has been a moment in history with yours truly, Funketeer.

peace and chicken grease

FUNK THE PUNK

Humboldt Park National Guard Building 1994 - Chicago (Rave)

Don't remember the name of the party...but I do you remember the line-up

DJ Sneak vs. Doc Martin 2x4 turntable set ---> First song....I heard was DJ Sneak's "you can't hide from your bud"

Mark Farina

Green Velvet -----> opened with "Preacher Man"

I would have to say "Preacher Man" is what really got my attention, but there were so many more that year....it was like a flood gate was opened.

Fire and Ice (84-88) listening to OMD,New Order,Joy Division,Cocteau twins,Depeche,Cure

Kitchen Club (88-93?) listening to Front 242,Thrill Kill Kult,Split Second,Front Line Assemble,Skinny Puppy,Jesus and Mary Chain

Divine Playground Festival at Bayfront Park w/Meat Beat Manifesto, Moby,Sven Vath, Utah Saints, Dj Micro,Stryke etc

various one off raves throughout Miami and Fort Lauderdale and traveling back and forth to Orlando's Beacham Theatre , The Edge and of course Fort Laud.'s Edge I was mainly into German trance

which is no where as happy as it is now but just as emotional:

Harthouse,Superstition were among my favorite labels back then

(the only "real" trance music IMO

I dont know exactly what year it was or who was the dj,but it was at Mars Bar some time ago in Kendall. It sounded more like rave then anything else but I remember the way the peeps were jammimg tothe music and the energy there was in that room that captured my attention and thats when I started getting into this music more and more.... but it was awhile after till I got into the SCENE,my friends really weren't into this kind of music....(their loss)

Thats why I dont hate on any music I just thank GOD thats theres electronic music......................:cool:

I remember getting hooked to electronic music back in 1990 with the sounds of Depeche Mode, New Order and Erasure. I remember going to "La City" when I lived in Buenos Aires and partying my ass off there.

I also remember going to Pacha here in Miami, I think it was located in the hotel Dilido... I liked that club a lot and I don't know what the hell happened.

Originally posted by laliux

I remember getting hooked to electronic music back in 1990 with the sounds of Depeche Mode, New Order and Erasure. I remember going to "La City" when I lived in Buenos Aires and partying my ass off there.

oh yeah..i went to the new order concert in the james l. knight center. i snuck outta my bedroom window but got busted a cpl weeks later cuz my grandpa saw the foot prints on the wall of the house from me trying to climb back in! stupid kid!

Raves/parties back home in the midwest (Columbus, Cleveland, Pittsburgh...) starting around '93 or so. 420, Harvest Moon, Tunnelvision...lots of great parties, but can't think of the one that was the very first. Back then, didn't have a clue what the DJs were playing, but I was really into learning all the different styles of electronic music. Befriended some of the people in the crews doing the parties and worked the doors, helped setup equip, ran DJs to and from the airport, and supported anyway I could.

A few years later, when the scene started moving into the clubs, and I started learning about the artists producing the music, I'd say "Future of the Future" by Deep Dish w/ Everything but the Girl was one that really grabbed me.

Originally posted by aj2234

the mix:blown:

2 words: THE EDGE

the year: 1995

the tunes: Chemical Beats - Chemical Brothers, Radiate - Brother Grimm, Set U Free - Planet Soul, Rabbit in the Moon - Out of Body Experience, 1-8 song - DJ Icey, I am Ready - Size 9, Higher State of Consciousness - Josh Wink, Botz - Uberzone, Loose Caboose - Electroliners, Keep Hope Alive - Crystal Method, Two Full Moons and a Trout - Union Jack, Deeper - Rabbit in the Moon, Floori.d.a.- Rabbit in the Moon, Cosmic Greets Florida - Cosmic Baby....just to name a few....

For me it was in '95...

I stepped into Simon's for the first time...not knowing what to expect...

I remember very few things (not for any other reason than that I had never heard this typ eof music before) but I do remember a couple samples...

One was the trumpet riff from DJ Cool - "Let me Clear my Throat", "Dance with the Speaker till you hear it blow", and "Party People...Yo Yo Get Funky Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Low and behold, about a year later, after I had immersed myself in club culture via the Simon's vein...I learned that the DJ who played that first night I was floored at Simons was none other than DJ Dan...at the Time ('95) he was deep into his classic funky breaks and house style that really shaped and molded me as a DJ...flawlessly shifting between straights and breaks...throwing down nasty scratch samples...keeping it all funky!

THat was my first time exposed to electronic music...and that set, which I got ahold of a few months after that night holds true as one of my top 3 dj sets of all time...

with Coldcut - Journies by DJ and Chemical Brothers - "Brothers Gonna work it out" being the other two.

Anyways...there you have it...

FX

P.S.

Some of the other tracks included in that set were:

Prodigy - "Their Law"

Psychedelic Research Lab - "Keep on Climbin'"

Happy Clappers - "I believe"

Brothers Grim - "Radiate"

Electroliners - "Loose Caboose" (I think)

Anoesis - "Heavy Water"

DJ's Project - "Funk-da-fried Party"

and the nastiest mash-up ever with all sorts of old-school tracks all over the place.