Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Your First Experience With Electronic Dance

obby

1992 Benidorm, Spain

- Dancing alllll night to music from Pragha Khan, Interactive, Rozalla, 2 Unlimited, etc etc etc...the original Euro Techno sounds.

- Throwing and djing at my own raves on Florida's west coast

- DIVINE PLAYGROUND!!!!!

- Various one-off raves in the middle of nowhere near the Everglades....nothing but a stage and a nitrous tank....

and of course THE EDGE...seeing Paul van Dyk there in 1994 was amazing...I got to carry his record bag lol...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by meng

2 words: THE EDGE

the year: 1995

the tunes: Chemical Beats - Chemical Brothers, Radiate - Brother Grimm, Set U Free - Planet Soul, Rabbit in the Moon - Out of Body Experience, 1-8 song - DJ Icey, I am Ready - Size 9, Higher State of Consciousness - Josh Wink, Botz - Uberzone, Loose Caboose - Electroliners, Keep Hope Alive - Crystal Method, Two Full Moons and a Trout - Union Jack, Deeper - Rabbit in the Moon, Floori.d.a.- Rabbit in the Moon, Cosmic Greets Florida - Cosmic Baby....just to name a few....

You forgot Acperice!!!!

I was living in Belgium for 6 months, and couple friends talked about the "I Love Techno Festival" in Gant Belgium, I didn't know what the music was all about, until I saw Sven Vath and Paul Van Dyk. After that headed that summer to The biggest party in the world Love Parade in Berling

actually my first experience was Ultra two years ago and the first dj to make me fall in love with this music is

drumroll

EDGAR V.. when i heard him spin at ULTRA i was mesmerized and since then ive loved trance and house.

but even before then i first heard techno when i played wipeout on ps1. i loved the tracks and had to find out who mixed it. Of course it was PRODIGY the first group in this style of music i really dug. and still do to this day PRODIGY rocks

Started early getting into bands like Tangerine Dream(the grandfather's of ambient music),Salt Tank,Kraftwerk,Jean-Michel Jarre ,Chicane, also a huge Massive Attack fan.

Started sneaking into the EDGE at 15 when they stopped serving liquor at 3 am been into it ever since.........

I think like most of us on the board, I have been addicted to music since I was a little kid. I can remember listening to the "odd" music and not being like all the other kids. As far back when I was 5 and 6 years old I was listening to the sounds of the early breaks / rap groups like Grand Master Flash, New York City Breakers, Alex and the City Crew, then slowly evolving to the other music like RunDMC , Beastie Boys etc, and then the sounds of Depeche Mode, and Midnight Oil. I was always the kid with the boombox and mix tapes and taking them to all my friends houses and they would be like what the hell is that?

Well, my first introduction into dancing was break dancing and then into the teen clubs when I was 13. Since I loved to dance and didn't care what anyone thought, and there was girls dancing, I would go to the dance club and dance my ass off every week, not many other 13 year old males would even step foot on the dance floor. The most memorable music that got me hooked back in the day was Paul Lekakis - Boom Boom Boom (Lets Go Back To My Room), Midnight Oil- Beds Burning, and still one of the best tunes ever Depeche Mode's - Personal Jesus.

When I was old enough to drive, I started going to smaller underground clubs/ hangouts in Ohio and Michigan. Most of it was House and drum and bass. I did not realize it at the time, but a few of the nights, I was listening to the originators of house in the states, Derrick May, Juan Atkins, and Kevin Saunderson. If I could only go back and relive those nights. I then went to a few bigger parties around the Detroit area, and the music has been in my, body, and soul ever since.

have always loved the scene since I started DJ'ing at 18, but my first serious hook was back in '93 (i think) going to hear sasha play at the Hacienda (Manchester UK)

having my first errmmm Tylanol and hearing my all time fav tune - Orange Lemon - 'dreams of santa anna'

took me forever to find a copy & now its mine :bounce:

146640hacienda_interior.jpg?7823

I have to say i was first influenced by electronic sound in the 80"s, when breakdancing was at an all time high.....kraftwerk"s "Numbers" and "Tour de France" come to mind, as do Herbie Hancock"s "Rock it".....hell, even early hip hop songs were heavily influxed with electronic sound......any1 remember "egyptian lover" or "siberian nights"? Then around 90" my cousin introduced me to what he called "industrial" music.....said it was from Chicago....i was mesmerized by that early crazy "industrial" sound..(love that name) i also loved cheesy early 90"s "pop house" songs.....early chi town house was growinggggg on me....and lo and behold--- a house head is born! i also have to say i adored high energy trance back in the rave hey day---crazy times!

Originally posted by mugatu

Fire and Ice (84-88) listening to OMD,New Order,Joy Division,Cocteau twins,Depeche,Cure

Kitchen Club (88-93?) listening to Front 242,Thrill Kill Kult,Split Second,Front Line Assemble,Skinny Puppy,Jesus and Mary Chain

Divine Playground Festival at Bayfront Park w/Meat Beat Manifesto, Moby,Sven Vath, Utah Saints, Dj Micro,Stryke etc

various one off raves throughout Miami and Fort Lauderdale and traveling back and forth to Orlando's Beacham Theatre , The Edge and of course Fort Laud.'s Edge I was mainly into German trance

which is no where as happy as it is now but just as emotional:

Harthouse,Superstition were among my favorite labels back then

(the only "real" trance music IMO

I believe you and I have allot in common. I myself was introduced to the underground during the "Fire and Ice" days at the old "Institute". The "Kitchen Club" as well was a stepping stone for me to the underground. Another impressive memory was experiencing "Front 242" live at the "Cameo Theater" which is now known as "CroBar"

The track that changed my insight on music was a wicked remix of "U2's - Sunday Bloody Sunday" which I heard at the "Kitchen Club". After hearing such a beautiful re-work....my old school bass and freestyle crave was overpowered by the "sounds of the underground" which I continue to crave in a huge way. After hearing such a remix, I was left with the urge to land this vinyl leaving me to searching multiple underground vinyl shops throughout the States which all ended up being my new source for vinyl's (no more BPM Records). I eventually migrated from dealing with vinyl shops in the states to dealing with vinyl shops around the WORLD. Mainly the UK and Germany.

To sum it all up:

The Place/Places: Institute (Fire and Ice) and the Kitchen Club

The Song: U2 - Sunday Bloody Sunday (Underground Bootleg Mix)

The Result: OBBY <-----This beat freak right here

Erikamikaze...I can also relate to you as well. I myself remember being the "odd one for liking such wicked sounds.

They laughed at me because I was soooo different. I laughed at them because they where all the same. :D :D :D

PS: Seeing Sasha at "Firestone" in Orlando before he even thought about tagging up with Digweed was also a huge stepping stone for me.

Thanks for the reply everyone. Trust me when I say this is my strange way of getting to know everyone better.

Peace,

OBBY

www.soturecords.com

attachment.php?postid=1316686

Originally posted by o0djfx0o

For me it was in '95...

I stepped into Simon's for the first time...not knowing what to expect...

I remember very few things (not for any other reason than that I had never heard this typ eof music before) but I do remember a couple samples...

One was the trumpet riff from DJ Cool - "Let me Clear my Throat", "Dance with the Speaker till you hear it blow", and "Party People...Yo Yo Get Funky Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Low and behold, about a year later, after I had immersed myself in club culture via the Simon's vein...I learned that the DJ who played that first night I was floored at Simons was none other than DJ Dan...at the Time ('95) he was deep into his classic funky breaks and house style that really shaped and molded me as a DJ...flawlessly shifting between straights and breaks...throwing down nasty scratch samples...keeping it all funky!

I myself was there that night. The event was being thrown for Simon's (the owner) birthday. I actually knew what i was about to experience concidering that in those days, DJ Dan was one of my favorites when it came to breaks. I even remember hearing him throw down the electro mix of "Planet Rock"

Miami Rocks To The Planet Rock....Don't Stop

FX, I'm with ya

OBBY

www.soturecords.com